Friday, May 30, 2014

bird seed: summer salads


I know it's not technically summer yet, but here in Minnesota we basically went from winter weather straight into summer weather with barely a spring in between, so I am just going with it. From May until September, I basically live on fresh, delicious salads. Well, salads and rosé, really, but we can talk about wine later. Today I am going to share recipes for two of my favorite salads and a homemade vinaigrette to go with each of them! Yum! I hope you enjoy!

Nectarine and Arugula Salad with Bleu Cheese and a Raspberry-Champagne Vinaigrette
for the salad:
2 cups arugula
two nectarines, sliced
1-2 tablespoons bleu cheese
combine all the ingredients in a bowl.

for the vinaigrette:
5-6 raspberries
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dijon
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
Add all of the ingredients, except the oil, to your blender. Blend to combine while gradually adding the oil until the dressing thickens. Drizzle over salad. This recipe will make enough vinaigrette for 2-3 salads, depending on how dressed you like your salads! Mine lasted for two. ;)

Fruit and Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese and Honey Toasted Pecans in a Lemon-Balsamic Vinaigrette
for the salad:
two cups baby spinach
2-3 large strawberries, sliced
small handful of raspberries
one kiwi, peeled and diced
1-2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
12 honey toasted pecans (I bought mine, but this looks like a good recipe!)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

for the vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons lemon juice (or the juice of about two lemons)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 cup olive oil
Same process as above. Blend everything while slowly adding the oil until thickened. Drizzle over salad. This recipe will also make enough for about 2-3 salads.

I have eaten both of these salads this week. I was literally eating the fruit salad while typing this post. The nectarine one I have eaten twice since Tuesday and I might just make it again this weekend! And I'll likely enjoy it with a nice big glass of rosé! Because, weekend! Happy Friday, all!

Do you have a favorite summer salad?

xoxo, nora bird

19 comments:

  1. Yumm. I love fresh food and salads are a great way to prepare them. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, we'll definitely be trying these! We love our salads as well; and right now I'm obsessed with kale/garbanzo salad....I should bestir myself and post some of my dressing recipes too.
    Have a grand weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found my lunch for all of next week! These look amazing. I love salad with lots of fruit and other yummy bits like that.

    Too bad I can''t have the wine at work with it!!!

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Thanks for including the dressing too. That is always my downfall when making salad. No idea what kind of dressing to put on it. Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, these both look so refreshing and delicious! A salad is great on a hot summer day when you don't want to put the oven on.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both sound amazing. I want nothing but salad on a hot summer day. I'm not a bleu cheese girl, so I'd swap it for feta, but other than that, I'm on board - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy!! I need to try :)

    www.fashionistastyle1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phwoar, sounds really good! My friend came to tea last night and I made some lovely Greek feta fritters- they went a dream with salad!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing! I want a salad for lunch now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fruit and spinach salad with goat cheese?! YES PLEASE, I will take it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So going to have to try these. I eat a lot of chef salads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love summer salads! these look so good! and i love goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES! I was so hoping that you would do a post on these because the one that you posted on instagram looked delicious! I am soooo going to have to make these ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! It is one my daughter makes. It has spinach and lettuce and oranges and raisins it! It has the most interesting salad dressing that is poured over it. It is really tasty and has no dairy in it for lil' ol' me. (ya, dairy gives me migraines. fun huh?) This salad is great but I would skip the bleu. Have an awesome weekend!! ♥, Renae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that looks delicious! I love a spinach, feta and fruit combination, though really good summer fruit isn't quite available here yet. These salads look really delicious. I love pecans in salad too! If summer fruit isn't at it's best I sometimes use the little mandarin sections that are in tins but I look for the ones in juice and not syrup.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! My mouth is watering. Those both look so good! I occasionally make one I found Cooking Light a few years back. Main ingredients: Raspberries, goat cheese, mixed greens, vinaigrette made from apricot preserves. Sooo good but I can only make if we have company because my picky eaters won't touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. just as pretty as it is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is 90-100 degrees in North Carolina. I am calling it -- Summer has arrived official or not!

    ReplyDelete
  19. both these salads look like something from french meadow or lucias- delicious. definitely going to have to have some of that champagne vinaigrette stocked in the fridge :)

    ReplyDelete