Wednesday, May 7, 2014

bird seed: flourless chocolate chip cookies


We love to bake around here. Mostly cookies, although I will dabble in other things, but cookies are my favorite sweet treat to bake. Lately, I have been trying to come up with a "healthier" cookie, so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it! They are flourless, gluten free (if you use gluten free oats), and are made with only seven ingredients. And above all of that, they are delicious!

Here's what you'll need:
2/3 cup rolled oats (not quick oats!)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 cup peanut butter (I used chunky because it is what we had, but use your favorite kind!)
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I love the mini chocolate chips, but again, use what you like!)

Instructions:
1. Combine the oats, cinnamon, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and then mix in the peanut butter and brown sugar and stir until combined.
3. Pour in the dry ingredients and, again, mix until combined.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Refrigerate the cookie dough for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Line your baking sheets with silicone mats (or parchment).
8. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets and press with a spoon to flatten (my scoops were a little over a tablespoon big. This should make about 14 cookies.)
9. Bake for about 10 minutes. They will be soft.
8. Let cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Finally, enjoy your (practically) guilt free cookies!

These two are big fans...


Please note, these cookies are pretty crumbly! Ben left evidence of that all over our couch, the living room floor, his clothes, and his face!

xoxo, nora bird

15 comments:

  1. that looks yummy! glad those are chocolate, because raisins have no place in my cookies, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, these look delicious! I love that they only have a few ingredients so they're easy to make. :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My oldest is GF, so I'm definitely going to have to pin this one to try later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love cookies - if they're a little healthier, that's a win in my book - then you can eat TWO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have been seeing more and more of these kinds of cookies. i've been baking more for the past year or so but never gave flourless baking a try. should put it on a to-do list one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow they look so yummy! you are talented <3

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow no flour cookie, i am totally engaged now. I have been baking gluten free breads too this is perfect to add to my baking recipe. I will try this one.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hungry and these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look really yummy! I need to be gluten free but I have not got a local source of gluten free oats. The oats themselves don't have gluten of course, but can be cross contaminated. I might have to order some online. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay good on you. Four stars from the VIP fans in the back

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look quite good
    Pinning them right now to make over the weekend
    Thanks for the recipe
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so yummy!! Adorable pics too :)

    www.fashionistastyle1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cookies look so yummy and healthy. I'd love them. Your kids look quite happy too. Their photos are adorbs!

    BTW I will be posting the recipes of the baked french fries sometime this month. =)

    ReplyDelete