Tuesday, April 8, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): pencil top eraser




jeans ~ Ross
t-shirt, belt, bracelets ~ thrifted
ring, earrings ~ Forever 21
shoes ~ Ebay
necklace ~ Burlington

When I was a little kid, my neighborhood was the best. It was full of other kids, it had windy roads to run and play in, and the ice cream truck regularly drove down our street. And on rainy days, our neighbor's houses were equally as fun, filled with tons of exciting toys and great places to hide.

One day we were playing hide and seek across the street in our neighbor's house. I was in their giant playroom and decided to hide in a drawer that normally housed stuffed animals. As I opened the drawer, I noticed something underneath it. It was a simple pencil top eraser...the kind that you buy in packs of 12 that fit perfectly on pencils. For some reason, I never got pencil top erasers at my house, and I desperately wanted one. I was about eight, and assumed that since the eraser was forgotten underneath the drawer, no one would notice or even care if i took it. So I did.

About two weeks later, I had my first confession at church. And this was the old school catholic confession...me kneeling down with the priest behind a curtain, in a little room with a locked door. I was eight and terrified. So when the priest asked me to confess my sins, I told him the usual...I fought with my sister and was mean to my mom. And then he prodded me, as if he knew my deepest secret. I sat silently for a minute and he asked me one more time if I had more to tell him. And it was then that I burst into inconsolable, hiccuping tears and confessed about the eraser. 

Luckily after 20 Hail Marys, I was forgiven and never stole from them again.
xo,
megan bird

26 comments:

  1. It's amazing the impact of these small moments- I had a similar thing when I was young- maybe I'll write about it sometime! Love you top- very cooL!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that Catholic guilt. Know it well. That is so funny the things we remember when we were so young- the things that stick with us. I remember throwing snow balls at cars at around the same age and the heavy guilt. My mom was lucky because I always confessed everything. I even confessed drinking in high school and my friend were so mad at me. I guess it's a good character trait (?) LOVE the outfit today. This is totally my style. I love a shoe with a strap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. snow and short sleeves!! you rock. and look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great and the jeans are from Ross?? Really? I never,ever find things at Ross.
    I'm glad you never took another thing after the eraser!! I love hearing about childhood stories, etc., as we are all the same even though we make look differently or come from different backgrounds. At our core we all have a story, etc. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look adorable, as always. Isn't it funny how we remember something relatively insignificant forever like that? Cute story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were going to say that one of the neighbors noticed that the eraser was missing from the drawer and you got busted :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok that's too funny. You are such a criminal!!!

    I really love this laid back outfit! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuuuute! I love how it is fancy-casual! I so need to wear my heels with my jeans more, you look so effortlessly chic!

    OMG! That sounds like something I would (or have, probably) done as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this with a smile on my face..at 8, the innocence and the judgement of right and wrong is still so strong!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stole something when I was high-school age and I still feel guilty about it. At the time I felt like I was "sticking it to The Man" but quickly realized that I was and still am The Man - paying higher prices on goods to cover the cost of thefts just like mine. Good grief. Youth is really wasted on the young isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story, hehe. I like your outfit, especially those wonderful heels.
    /Madison

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww, what a sweet story!
    I love the outfit, especially the cheekiness of the thin red belt just barely peeking out with it's pop of colour. Btw, if I haven't mentioned it before, I'm really jealous of your ability to wear heels...especially these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look very cute and not at all like an eraser thief. I'll bet we all have a similar story though it may or may not involve confession. Can I have your hair. Please.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. But you still remember it to this day! It's funny how little things like this can stick with us! P.S. love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so funny the things we remember from when we were kids. I've had similar experiences and felt so guilty about them until I confessed. Love the rocker vibe to this outfit! SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story is so cute and truly takes me back to my own childhood! Loving your sweet shoes, Megan! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catholic guilt is no joke! Haha! Funny the little things we remember.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You looks beautiful! I think these jeans were made for you. :) it's crazy how even at 8 we know right and wrong. I think I stole a $25 koala figure from Ben Franklin about then. I got so guilty I ended up taking it back and confessing. So funny what sticks with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look wonderful!
    Thank you for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  20. BAhahahahaha you are too cute. I actually had a similar adult instance at Target the other day. I went in to buy new work pants and grabbed some costume jewelry, paid for my stuff and left. I got to the car and there was a bangle in the bottom of the cart I forgot to pay for. I went back in to customer service and we had a big laugh.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha that's so hilarious....and you really are so pretty!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is such a wonderful story - i actually did something similar with stickers - so you're not alone. except, i think i got caught? i stole the stickers from a craft closet at a neighbor's, and when i came home my mom sat me on her lap and read a bible passage about stealing...

    oops.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love the detail on your top - too cute! Love the title of your post and the adorable story that represents it!

    xo jen
    Pearls & Lace

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that story, the story of a true innocent, who happens to look quite fetching in the Ross jeans and well detailed gray tee! LOve it!.
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want your shoes! And your story is hilarious! -tammy

    ReplyDelete