Wednesday, April 9, 2014

bird.i.y: wrapped mason jar vases


I love having fresh flowers in my home (allergies, be damned!). I almost always have a vase-full on display in my living room. Now that Spring has finally sprung, I know I will be buying lots more flowers at farmer's markets and my kids will be bringing home little bouquets of wildflowers that they find during their outdoor adventures. And I recently realized that I don't have enough cute vases to display all of these future flowers of which I am dreaming! And that brings us to today's DIY. I had a small collection of thrifted mason jars and, while they make cute little vases on their own, I decided to spruce them up a bit.


I grabbed some embroidery thread in bright, spring-y colors, some jute twine (not pictured), a tube of craft glue, and my jars, and I went to work. This was an easy, albeit slightly time consuming, DIY. I simply dabbed some craft glue at my starting point and began wrapping the thread around the jars, gluing every so often. I alternated between the thread and the twine, creating a different look for each jar.


When the glue was dry, I filled the jars with flowers and water and displayed them on my dining room table! I love how they look! These would be fun filled with succulents, too! Or sea shells! Or feathers! Really, the options are endless. I'll stick with the flowers, for now.


They really make a fun addition to our dining room. So bright and happy!


Happy Spring!

xoxo, nora bird

29 comments:

  1. What a great idea, these are adorable! Hmmmm, I have some tall, skinny candle jars I want to re-purpose and this would be a GREAT way to do it; thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! And it's so easy I might just try it! (Who am I kidding, I won't try it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! The flowers are such a pretty way to add some spring decor!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun DIY! I'm so excited that spring is here and we can start adding color with projects like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this DIY!! Such a cute idea... perfect for flowers from the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and bright!!! I need to make these to go with some of the other bright projects I have done lately. Be on the look out for them to show up in some photos :-)

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh pretty! Nice bright cheery colors! The flowers look lovely in them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a nice and colorful idea! i love having fresh flowers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely! Kyle bought me those blue mason jars when they went on clearance, and they have been sitting around the house. I think I might try something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an adorable DIY project. Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! Whenever I see mason jars and Goodwill, I buy them. So I have a ton sitting around, not being used. This is perfect!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nora, This is a perfect spring post and an inspiring DIY! I love how simple this is, and how beautiful the results are, There is nothing like fresh flowers in the home, especially those pick by children!!
    Happy Spring!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are cute- I had the same craft in mind but haven't had the time or materials. Your kids are cute too. How old are they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to spruce up a plain jar!! Who doesn't love having pretty flowers in their home?
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful DIY. Just what we need a bit more colour for spring. I want to get some twigs home and wait till little bright green leafs will open.

    xoxo Ra

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Such a cute idea and I have like a million mason jars...

    Join me for Spring Style Challenge over at HAPPY MEDLEY

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are just adorable
    i think i know what i am doing this weekend
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love these! I love the bright colors with the traditional twine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooh, i saw similar ones on a video a while back and thought they were cute and easy enough to try. i love the spring colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so fun!! Maybe I can make them and then make an extra sad face at my husband and complain about not having anything to put in my new vase! Hehe. Totally kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun are these? I really like the colors you chose. I made some similar last Easter by saving old jars, painting them and adding flowers. They were the perfect Easter table centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this is fun and easy!! Great craft project w my girls! Thx! -tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. cute, easy, and fun! it's springgggg

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love having flowers around too, seems like it cheers up any space! love this DIY -- seems easy and it's super cute.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. so pretty and springy! I def. need to get my dining table looking pretty.

    ReplyDelete