Wednesday, April 30, 2014

bird.i.y.: vintage spice tin bathroom storage

I was at a loss as to what to call this DIY. I know what I'm using it for, but a good name eluded me. So vintage spice tin bathroom storage it is. If you read my post on Monday, you know that I wasn't able to make the original DIY I wanted this week. No matter though because luckily I had these tins set aside for a rainy (or as it is here, snowy) day. 

I have a few select makeup brushes, tweezers, and some nail scissors that I use to cut my bangs (fancy, I know) that I want to have readily accessible, because you know, I'm too lazy to open a drawer to find them. And when I saw these tins, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. Needless to say, I had all the items needed for this project in my house. 

Here's what you need:

~ a vintage plate, frame or whatever you want as a backdrop
~ a few vintage spice tins in various sizes
~ hot glue
~  NOT magnet strips (as pictured) because as I found out, these are worthless
~ A hook to hang the plate (if it's something that doesn't have one already)

It's pretty clear what I did here. I don't really need to give you a play-by-play. But I will give you these awesome recipes from the back of the tins. Fruit salad anyone?



Basically all I did was arrange the tins how I wanted them, making sure there was enough room above them to fit what I needed, and hot glued them to the plate. See...


Just kidding, I'm actually not really gluing anything here. Do you know how hard it is to actually take a picture and apply hot glue at the same time? I wouldn't recommend it.

And here is the finished product on my floor because I was scared the hot glue wouldn't be powerful enough to hold the hanger on the plate. What was I thinking? Hot glue holds everything!!


And here it is on the wall, where it has safely stayed for over two days. And I love it. Even Henry noticed it ("Mama, you put something new on the wall. I like it." That's high praise from him.)




I will leave you with a card that I framed and is also hanging on our bathroom wall. Because this is how I feel about Chris.


xo,
megan bird

23 comments:

  1. This is so creative! Where did you get the tins? I have a bunch of little things that need a home like this in my bathroom. I could see this on a counter too with the tins (or something similar) glued on upright. Hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the tins at a thrift store, but you could just as easily use new ones from Michaels. I am sure Ebay or other online auctions would have them fairly cheap, though! I like the counter top idea!

      Delete
  2. What a cute idea! I love magnet strips but they are best used for light weight projects. As a teacher I was quite addicted to them. And the card with the skeleton lovers is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Those recipes on the back of the tins are cracking me up...that fruit salad dressing sounds absolutely disgusting :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Betsey Johnson Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now I'm just craving creamed chipped beef - so thanks for that. Haha! Cute DIY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen similar items like this on pinterest. I really like how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!! I have never seen something like this before, great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! So creative and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute - both the vintage vignette and love walking hand in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool idea! I should do something like this for my crafty stuff in the bedroom, looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a creative idea! Love how it came out!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, i love this! i've been thinking about doing something similar with vintage tea tins:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That artwork is hilarious!

    What a cute retro decorating idea. I don't know how you come up with this stuff : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very cool DIY! Love it. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute and simple! I love it. Magnet strips are totally worthless!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so darn clever! Antiques? My mom still has some of these tins full in her cupboard! Seriously. :-) xo tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love how this project turned out. Very creative.
    Beautetude

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh i have some tea tins i'd love to do this with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so creative and fabulous. Genius actually. I have always liked those little tins. The red pops. A Genius idea to glue them to a tray and hang them. Those bathroom things look so cute there, especially the brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well that is pretty handy! See, I don't think of that stuff. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete