Wednesday, April 23, 2014

bird.i.y: suede fringed sweater


I bought this sweater months ago, on sale for $5, at H&M. I bought it without trying it on (because, $5!) and I haven't worn it a ton. A couple of times, tops. Every time I go through my closet to clean out and get rid of stuff, this sweater always makes the cut. I'm not sure why. Maybe I knew that it was meant for bigger and better things? Like suede fringe! This is a very simple DIY (what a surprise!) but I love the results. My sweater got a cool new makeover and I will now be certain to wear it a ton!

What you'll need:
sweater with an open knit
suede lace
scissors

Begin by cutting the lace into pieces about an arm's length. I didn't measure perfectly but, as long as the pieces are pretty close to the same size, you'll be fine. I cut about 20 pieces.
Next, fold a piece of the lace in half and loop it through the sweater at the top, near the neckline. Pull the fringe tight to secure.



Continue the folding and looping throughout the sweater until you get a shape you like. I followed a sort of waterfall shape down the sweater.


Once you're done, just throw it on, go in your front yard, and have your husband take photos! Or you could go somewhere way more exciting than that. That's cool, too. I did the front yard thing...



What do you think? I am excited to wear this with jean shorts once it gets a little warmer around here!

xoxo, nora bird

P.S. My favorite outtake from the front yard photo shoot:
Nerd alert.

29 comments:

  1. Can I pin it???!!
    I love this do-over, it looks fun and fabulous....and I LOVE your 'out-take'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovveeee this upgrade!! great thing to keep in mind-esp thrifted pieces

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! It reminds me of a suede fringe necklace I have!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Starbucks Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought to add fringe. specially since it's Spring I'd have just stuffed it away with the winter clothes and been done.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh wow! This looks great! I would have never thought to add the fringe but it totally works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out so cute! Very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great DIY, love how it came out!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  8. there she is :)
    this was a brilliant diy. did i miss deets on your cute shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh so cute!! I don't know I'd have the patience to do all that fringe myself, but I really love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out great! Points for creativity! Plus, you didn't do anything to the sweater so you can always change it if you feel like it. Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever and creative! I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out if this now. It's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're going to love dancing in this! : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. My gosh, Nora! That is so cool. I will have to try this one. I love it and you are dang cute in it!!! ♥, Renae

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! That is so awesome! You guys think of the coolest DIYs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is soo NOT nerdy..i absolutely love your creativity..i would wear this in 2 seconds!

    XO Meghan
    citrus fashion

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sweater turned out great! Love the sandals. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun, so cute and so easy
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh this is a great makeover! And the last pic made me giggle, like "check me and my awesome diy out!". I'm going to have to try this but I'm going to have a REALLY hard time not shimmying my chest to make the fringe fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG this is sooooo cute! Love your shoes too! I would be afraid of giving my boobs a beard but this totally works on you. Maybe my boobs would look good with a beard too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh, it is so gorgeous! Clever and creative you, Nora!!!! By the way, I never know if it is Megan or Nora writing when you come over and visit me so let me know one day who it is!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not crafty at all, but this is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh so cute! I have the perfect sweater and leather strips! I'm so on this! Thanks! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh gosh, i love this - i'll have to put away my sewing machine and try fringing something :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. you are so crafty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete