Wednesday, April 16, 2014

bird.i.y.: salad bowl plant stand

I wish I could take full credit for the bulk of this DIY. truth be told, all I did to make this was thrift, think outside the box, and paint. Thrifting and thinking outside the box are easy for me, painting on the other hand I could do without. Let's just say that no one would nor should ever hire me to paint anything for them. If you want to hire me to thrift for you, that's another story.

A quick little story about salad bowls on legs. Chris and I went out to celebrate a friend's birthday a few years ago. Chris (being Chris) decided to order a chop salad. The waiter asked him if he was sure, as the salad was meant to share. Chris, thinking with his belly, ordered it anyways. The waiter came out a few minutes later (I'm sure with a smirk on his face) with a gigantic salad bowl on legs and sat it next to Chris. And Chris (I'm sure with a smirk on his face) ate the whole thing. 

So, with that back story, when I saw this giant salad bowl on legs (complete with hooks to hang the spoons) at Goodwill, I knew I had to have it. I wasn't sure at the time what I'd do with it, but for $6.99 and an outside the box attitude, I went for it.
I am still not sure what I plan to do with it, it will either stay as a plant stand in our living room, or I might bring it downstairs to our playroom and fill it with crayons and fun craft stuff. Time will tell, but for now, I like it in the living room.

Here's how it started out...

A few coats of white spray paint on the legs, a few coats of tiffany blue paint on the bowl (I honestly keep a quart of this color on hand at all times) and a colorful table is made.

Put it all back together, throw in a fun succulent (or another plant that doesn't require a ton of sun) and a plant stand is made.






That's it!! Easy peasy.
xo,
megan bird

18 comments:

  1. It looks fab....love the blue!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a funny story! I've never seen a salad bowl like that at a restaurant before :) Love the blue color you chose and how it matches the rest of your decor!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and I love the story! :D I am definitely going to be on the hunt for a salad bowl on legs at the thrift stores now. Also, the bowling pin on the fireplace? Totally copying that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cute! It fits with your decor quite nicely! I kind of want something like that now!

    I was actually thinking about it when I did my first Stitch Fix box - I should just have the birds go pick me out a bunch of stuff from b. instead - I had fun with Stitch Fix but I think you guys are better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and creative idea! So funny about the sale at the resteraunt too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! I want to try to make one now of course.

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking outside the box really comes in handy. I love how it turned out and it matches the wall perfectly if you do decide to keep it there. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Tiffany blue is one of my all-time favorite colors.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blue wall + the white fireplace and all of the white accents! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you just come up with this stuff??!! That is amazing and so cute! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a huge bowl on legs. You can use it for anything! : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! My cat would love to sit in that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How clever!!! You did a lovely job! I am not so keen on painting either!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! That color is so good too. Our house if primarily blues. Your salad story reminds me of one of the first times my husband and I went to a really nice restaurant back when we were just out of college, dirt poor, and not well versed on restaurant customs. The waiter asked Rob if he wanted the soup or salad. Rob heard him wrong, had a look of confusion on his face, and asked "Well how big is the super salad?" We still laugh about that today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i thought this was gorgeous when i saw it on instagram today - didn't realize you made it though -- great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have such interesting projects. I don't do d i y stuff cuz I can never think of anything. I love the color of the bowl / top.

    ReplyDelete