Wednesday, April 2, 2014

bird seed: chocolate peanut butter banana bites

Because this song has been in my head all week (thanks to Chris' and the kids' love for The Muppets), I will start off with this...
banana bites
do do do do do
banana bites
do do do do

OK, if you don't have that Muppets song in your head now, that means you don't know what song it is. (And that's not necessarily a bad thing.) But now that I got that out of the way, I can tell you about these delicious banana treats that I made. And surprise, surprise, they are super easy to make.

Here's what you'll need (it's like a walking Target ad):


~ 4 ounces chocolate (I used Hershey bars, but you could easily substitute chocolate chips)
~ 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
~ 5 bananas (Yes, there are only 2 pictured. I forgot to take pictures before I started cutting them.)
~ 3 tablespoons cream (I used fat free half and half and it worked just fine)

And here's what you do:
~ Cut bananas into 1/2" disks
~ Lay cut bananas on a sheet of wax paper


~ Set up a double broiler situation. In my case, that means a small pot of boiling water and a frying pan on top of it. I'm fancy like that.
~ Add chocolate, peanut butter, and cream to the top pan and stir as it melts. 


~ Once melted, spoon chocolate on to the top of each banana slice


~ Now slide to the left
~ Now slide to the right
~ Take it back now y'all
~ One hop this time
~ ~ Right foot let's stomp
~ Left foot let's stomp
~ Cha cha real smooth

oh wait...I got sidetracked...
~ Now freeze
No really, freeze  the bananas overnight and serve on a pretty plate.


They are so yummy, and as I like to say nutritious. After all, they are fruit, dairy, protein, and heart healthy chocolate!

I will say this: try to eat them fast before they "melt". Frozen and thawed bananas are not the prettiest things in the world.

Enjoy!
xo,
megan bird

PS I want to wish a VERY happy birthday to my favorite son (he's my only son), Henry. He's 9 today and I'm finding it hard to believe. I love you, Boo Boo bear!

21 comments:

  1. this looks amazing!!! i kinda want some for brekkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate and peanut butter is my most favorite in the world. My kids would love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - bananas. I loathe them so. But I suppose I could make them for the kiddos - they love anything paired with chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm these look delicious! I'd probably have a hard time waiting till they froze though :) Happy birthday to Henry!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Cookbook Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Henry. Sp going to have to try this out. We have been buying the dole bites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for visiting my blog! :)
    Nice post btw! The bananas look so yummy!
    Wanna follow each other? Let me know, let's keep in touch! ;)


    Rosalina
    partiedemoii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, Mahna Mahna to you too. I'll be singing that all day now - but I can't help but love it of course!

    Secondly - have you seen the version of this recipe where you can also roll them into Rice Krispies? It makes sort of fruit sushi! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seriously looks amazing!!!

    PinkandNavyStripes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look amazing! And now I have TWO songs stuck in my head. How did you even?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made something very similar, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing! I just want to jump through the screen and gobble a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look fun although bananas and I are not the best of chums!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made me laugh and sing along! Now I don't know the Muppet song you're talking about but I do love that age-old wedding reception song! just know I was singing with you. :-) These look delish! Thanks!
    ~Tammy

    http://wildruffle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. my kinda treats- delicious and easy! happy birthday wishes to you son :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look pretty delish
    chocolate, peanut butter and banana, what's not to love!?
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I am pinning these right now. My daughter would love these (and I would, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Megan, these sound so good and easy which is my forte. I am all about sandwiches with banana slices, peanut butter and Nutella so I'd love these. Happy belated 9th Birthday to your little Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look yummy!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete