Tuesday, March 11, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): the duffel bag




jeans ~ H&M
boots ~ Urban Original
blouse ~ TJ Maxx
jacket ~ Burlington
belt ~ Target
sunglasses ~ thrifted

every year chris and i say we aren't going to buy each other birthday presents, and every year he buys me something. since my birthday is first, and i always believe it when we say no gifts, i am always scrambling to buy him something. and it sucks because i pride myself in being a really good gift giver.

of course this year came, and i believed him once again. he always uses the kids..."well it's not from me, it's from the kids!" so i decided to buy him a small gift for every day of his birthday week this year...nothing huge, just $20 and under sort of gifts.

last week, we were at lunch and we were walking in the downtown minneapolis skyway. chris pointed and said, "oh, i really like that duffel bag" as a very fashionable man was walking by. the man had one of those old-school vinyl duffle bags...the kind every kid in the 80s had. of course i took a mental note, thinking that an old-school duffel bag would be easy enough to get. i ordered a cheap one off ebay, and it arrived in time for his big day. so, yesterday, he opened it and i can tell he was wondering why the hell i bought it for him. there was just a look of bewilderment on his face.

because i was confused, i asked him why he didn't like it. i told him i wouldn't take offense because 1. he clearly pointed it out to me, and 2. it looked exactly like the one the man was carrying. and then it was chris' turn to be confused. it turns out he wasn't pointing at the fashionable man at all, he was pointing at the $1100 brooks brothers leather duffel in the window of the shop that the fashionable man was walking by.

so here's the bag i got him.
and here's the bag he wants.

close enough, right?
xo,
megan bird

27 comments:

  1. Men can be so hard to shop for. I have gave up and give my hubby money to buy his own gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I want that leather duffle bag too! I'm such a sucker for leather. However, I don't think my sweaty gym clothes would be going in there!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well he definitely has champagne taste! (Not that I can talk, I've always wanted one of these: http://www.shoebuy.com/clava-97554-doctors-bag-style-duffel/513669/1082898?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-{keyword} )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.... this gives you plenty of time to track down the other one right? For the next holiday. Everybody needs a good all-purpose duffel anyway :-)

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious! At least you tried, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I do like the one you picked....even if it wasn't at all what he was talking about. :) My husband is the worst ever to shop for (and I pride myself on gift giving too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha oops! What were the odds that two different duffel bags would be at the same place at the same time?!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, well hey, I say you get an A for effort! Gifts are hard for men, I will say that much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is hilarious! So now you're stuck with the wrong duffle bag. My husband is really, really hard to buy for. Your jacket is really cute, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I am sure you will be laughing about that for years to come though! I love that jacket you are wearing, especially with the pink belt! So cute and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO!!!! Well it is the thought that counts! And I'm sure he will find a way to use it. And, for the record, Patrick does that same thing with gifts ALL THE TIME! We do that since our bdays are 8 days apart. We vow to not get each other gifts. And he always gets me something "from the kids". And then I feel like a jerk. The stubborn part in me wants to hold my ground, but it's proving to be more difficult than I anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Oh noes! Well at least it makes for a funny blog post? You look so awesome! I love the belted coat, always classic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha. Aw. It is the thought that counts!!

    Also, that jacket is super cute on you :]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear!!!! That's too funny!!! I tend to buy my husband clothes or shoes!! He usually likes what I get him or so I hope! What a great coat-so nice and the pink belt is a nice touch!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute story! Sounds like something that me & my hubby would experience. That leather duffel certainly is breathtaking! Great outfit--love the pop of pink! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. nailed it! ;)
    that pop of pink gives me a bit of hope in life. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha I love that story! so funny! and loving your coat :)

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's funny. Though I'm pretty sure that plastic retro bags are all the rage!

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha, this story is wonderful - the memory is worth the mishap, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your jacket - especially with the bright belt! I just bought Nate a leather MN Vikings duffle bag from the 1960s for Valentine's Day (because I wanted it for myself, so I bought it for him... it's like 50% mine then, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  21. ha ha...
    not
    even
    close!

    Loving the cape : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I admit the leather duffel bag does look nicer but it's the thought that counts. :-) I see you're trying the belted coat trend. Cute with the pink belt.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haahaha what a funny story. Close enough. Your husband has good taste I must say. My husband is very difficult to shop for, like most men I guess LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look so beautiful. Your belt is so catchy :)
    http://buywholesaletees.com/Liberty%20Bags

    ReplyDelete