Friday, March 7, 2014

bird's nest: our kitchen nook

when we were looking at houses before we bought ours, i always loved the idea of a kitchen nook. they are so cozy to me...a fun little space to sit with the family, share a meal, and tell each other of the day's happenings. when we looked at our house, i didn't love it at all. in fact, i wrote it off for many reasons. i didn't even notice the kitchen nook, to be honest, because it was covered in puffy wallpaper, had no built-in seating, and was rather plain.
luckily we couldn't find any houses we loved (we had to have a two story...that was our deal breaker) (they are fairly rare in our neighborhood), our realtor suggested that maybe we look at this house again. so we did, and am i ever happy, because now it's ours, and now i love it. and now, thanks to chris, we have built-in seating in our kitchen nook.
however, winters being the winters they are in minnesota, we were  blessed with an ice damn on our roof, which resulted in a horrible leak in our roof in january. right over our nook. so, we needed to replace the ceiling and wall....all of which chris could do.
so, while he was at it, i came up with a few ideas for a "new" kitchen nook.
here it is before. still cute, but also a bit plain.

the story behind how chris did this is funny (now) (but not at all at the time). we were hosting our monthly neighborhood party at our house on february 21, which was chris' deadline to finish the nook area. by february 19, nothing was done. on february 20, he took the day off to finish it (keep in mind he has months to do this, and in typical chris fashion waited until the actual last minute) (also keep in mind that few things stress me out, timelines are one of them), and when i got home from work, i was so excited to see the progress. except....no. he had forgotten that i wanted the walls painted white and the tops of the benches painted turquoise. and the house was still a disaster because all of the stuff from the kitchen was now placed all over the rest of the house.
i was not happy. i helped paint a bit, but i was so mad that i really didn't even want to be in the room with chris. all was forgiven though the next morning when i woke up to find it done. he stayed up until 3am just to finish it for me.
and here it is, in all it's glory.





 this used to be an ironing board...

and chris made it into a spice closet!





i've always wanted a chalkboard wall!

but wait, it's also magnetic!! yippie-ki-yay!

happy friday!!
xo,
megan bird

25 comments:

  1. Love it! Chris really is the MacGyver of husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love it!!! The perfect little nook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with you dinning room. I need to work on mine it a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love nooks! there's one at work and we're always there doing crafts, playing, and eating, sometimes! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!!! And how nice to:

    1. Have such a handy husband
    2. Have such talent in decorating and designing!!

    Happy Weekend,
    Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so nice and cozy! I wish it worked in our kitchen space to do benches like that - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the nook is so cute! My favorite part is the awesome chalkboard/magnetic wall!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm terribly jealous of your house. If I had more money and lived closer, I would totally try to pay you to decorate my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great styling and even greater that Chris stayed up and got it done! You too are so compatible - I love it!

    And ...Megan, congrats on accomplishing all of the posts this week while Nora was away. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your nook! Cozy, but fun too! Great story too. My hubs is a really great starter. You know, tear it down, rip it up...then things fizzle out and the project is unfinished until the DEADLINE, which usually involves the evil eye treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! I love the color scheme and how you used the ironing board cabinet! Your house has so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have never known that you had this cute little nook had you not posted...it was there the entire time? How adorable!! dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's amazing!!!! Your house is just a thing of beauty! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. when husband and I first got married he decided to remodel our one and only bathroom 2 weeks before a party we were hosting. I am talking taking out tile and everything
    He finished 30 min. before our first guest arrived.
    No LIE
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Megan Megan Megan, thank you for telling me that Henry and Eva are praying for me. God always answers childrens' prayers. wow. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mork? Lol. I think it's cute and fun. Very "you," I've always wanted a nook...but I want a reading nook! Same idea, but filled with books and a squashy, reclining armchair. Send Chris here and you come too. We can go thrifting and he can build it! jk :) Kentucky is pretty far to go for a DIY.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! It looks great! I'll b right over to have coffee in your nook! I love the chalkboard wall. I painted one in my home this past December and I'm quite pleased with mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute! Love how cozy it is. Glad Chris came through in the end!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww, love this nook. in all my pinterest daydreams i have one in my kitchen for the family to spend lazy weekends gathered around :) lucky you for having such a handy husband!

    ReplyDelete
  20. how creative to use an iron board! wow, never would have thought of that.

    he did so good! love your kitchen nook and now I think I need one in our next home, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So fun! I would love eating breakfast in this stylish nook!
    xx
    Here&Now
    Enter my current giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG it looks beautiful. Fun, playful, colorful, creative. He is really good. =)

    ReplyDelete