Friday, March 14, 2014

bird seed: roasted sweet potato and black bean tacos


we eat a lot of sweet potatoes at my house. like a lot a lot. i love them because they are simple to prepare and can easily be added to so many dishes. i also love them because they are super duper healthy and my kids eat them like candy! sweet potatoes lend themselves super well to southwestern recipes, and this recipe is my latest favorite way to eat them. i make it a lot. like a lot a lot. like, i made this one night last week in california and then again a few days later when we got home. and i will likely make it again next week. plus, it is super fast, super easy, and super yummy; three things i love in a recipe! this recipe fed my family of four, with a bit leftover (more on that later!), but you can definitely adapt it to your needs. i fed a group of 12 in cali. also, i never ever measure my spices and such, but i will attempt to list approximate amounts.

here's what you'll need:
three medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
half a small onion, diced
3-4 tablespoons olive oil (or any oil you like for roasting)
the juice of one lime
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 (15 oz) can of black beans
taco sized tortillas (i love corn tortillas but my kids hate corn tortillas, so we usually use flour)
toppings! (we usually use shredded cheese, avocado or gaucamole, pico de gallo, and sour cream, but use what you like! anything goes!)

what to do:
1. preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. peel and dice the sweet potatoes and onions and toss them with the oil, lime juice, and spices.




3. transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

4. while the potatoes are cooking, heat up your black beans over medium heat (i usually add some cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and a bit of salt. this is totally optional. the potatoes will already have a ton of flavor!)
5. i like to wrap my tortillas in foil and throw them in the oven for the last five or so minutes of the potato cooking process. also, totally optional, but i like a warm tortilla.
6. once everything is cooked and warmed, simply assemble your tacos! cheese, beans, potatoes, some pico, avocado, sour cream. viola! a simple and delicious dinner in minutes!

i must admit, my favorite part about this meal (and why i make enough to have leftovers), is that the filling is so good the next day with a fried egg on top. whenever we have these for dinner, i make that for lunch the next day. this is one of the very few times you will ever see me eating leftovers. it. is. so. good.
nom! nom! nom!

do you share my love of sweet potatoes? what is your favorite sweet potato recipe???

xoxo, nora bird

16 comments:

  1. Yum! I make something very similar but with honey. I could eat the whole bowl of filling. I don't even need the tortillas: http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/09/honey-lime-sweet-potato-black-bean-and-corn-tacos/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I LOVE sweet potatoes but I've only gotten the Great Scot to eat them in the last couple of years, and then only baked. (They aren't a thing in Scotland.) I've been looking at ways to incorporate them in our diet more often, and this might actually do the trick since he's really gotten into Southwestern flavours since moving here. I was already planning on making tacos with Navajo frybread this weekend, so......

    ReplyDelete
  3. going to have to give this a try on night. We have been trying to eat more health meals in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Thanks for the recipe. I eat tons of sweet potatoes, yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy! I like simple meals and this one definitely fits the bill. Can't wait to try it.

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am slowly learning to like sweet potatoes, they didn't used to be my favorite, but I'm finding different recipes to try and I'm liking them more than I used to! This sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm this looks so delicious! I love sweet potatoes but my hubby is not a fan so I don't usually cook them.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sweet potatoes! I bake sweet potato fries whenever I'm up to cutting them. :-) The tacos looks like a great recipe.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love sweet potatoes too and yes they are super healthy. I even juice them! Will try this recipe since I have everything in my house right now. Thanks for sharing.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fantastic! I totally need to make this soon. I am seriously so in love with sweet potatoes, they are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. to be honest I have never tried it before, but from your photos it looks so delicious.

    xoxo Ra

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do share your love of sweet potatoes and I love black beans too! I made soup today because I had to use up some veg that were getting a bit old. It's a good thing it is only me since the soup looks like baby poo. I used both orange and green veg so I knew this would happen. It's delicious though. You just have to close your eyes when you eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love sweet potatoes, and this recipe comes at a time when I am trying to reduce the amount of meat that I am eating!
    Delish!
    XX,Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, all of it. It look delishs, healthy, and the photos professional. I will make an effort to try it sometime. This addition to your blog is just perfect and lovely. Also, I mentioned you, Nora, on my blog post this week. Dawn xos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, these look so so good! Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely try this!

    www.highheelstosneakers.com

    ReplyDelete