Thursday, February 6, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): wedding dress shopping




vest ~ Burlington
leggings ~ Charlotte Russe
dress/tunic ~ H&M
hat ~ thrifted
boots ~ b. (a resale shop)

i was having a bit of writer's block and then i read inge's post about how she didn't love wedding dress shopping. it made me think about how i got my dress, so i thought i'd share.

as many of you may know, chris and i have been together a lot longer than we have been married. we had both of our kids before we got married, and actually hadn't really given marriage too much thought. we knew that we probably would do it some day, but neither of us felt insecure or incomplete because we weren't married. our main concern was that the kids would get made fun of for having parents with two last names, but that really turned out to be a non-issue.

so anyway, as i said, i wasn't too concerned. however, when out and about shopping at certain vintage stores, i would often stumble across beautiful could-be wedding dresses. i bought a few that i found at garage sales mainly because they were gorgeous vintage dresses for under $5. but i was never in love or sold on the fact that they would someday become my wedding dress.

then one night i was at home, reading some ridiculous gossip magazine, and i saw some star ( i can't remember who) wearing this beautiful betsey johnson dress. i fell in love. i had one of those, "that's got to be mine" moments. so i scoured the internet to find this dress, and when i did, i emailed my sisters and my mom and asked, "would it be weird of me to buy a wedding dress even if i'm not engaged???" they all agreed that we knew it would happen some day, so if i loved the dress, why not buy it. i remember specifically talking to my mom on the phone about it, worried about buying a dress online, for a wedding that hadn't even been thought about yet.

so i bought it, and i had it delivered to nora's house, where she kept it for maybe two years. yes, two years. maybe even longer. i never went to a bridal store and never had a fitting. and when it came time for the wedding, i didn't need to take it in or let it out...it fit me perfectly. and when i tried it on for the first time, i knew it was the dress for me, mainly because mimi (nora's daughter) gasped and told me i looked like a princess.

i never thought i'd be the pink and gold princess dress wearing bride. but i was, and i loved it.

chris' first words upon seeing me on our wedding day were, "you're wearing pink. i should have known."

you can see pictures of our wedding and my dress here and here if you're interested.

xo,
megan bird

35 comments:

  1. Your dress was beautiful. I got my wedding dress and a bridal shop that was going out of business

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! The dress was just meant to be! Wedding dress shopping was pretty frustrating for me before I found the right one.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun story! Your dress was SO perfect for you too. I'm one of those "I bought the first dress I tried on" type people. No joke. I tried on probably 15 dresses after the first and went back to the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it was the prettiest dress I ever saw. And I remember when you bought it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. Clearly it was meant to be. That was such a fantastic dress especially in the shade you chose.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a beautiful dress indeed. And it's true with your wedding dress--when you know, you know. I was never a fan of beaded, lace up wedding dresses, but that is exactly what mine was and I love that dress so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that story!! Your wedding dress was so pretty!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute floral leggings! Wish I could pull off leggings like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your wedding dress story! :)

    Loving your leggings too! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I absolutely love your dress! I did when you shared your wedding pictures a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is definitely a princess dress. So pretty!

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your wedding dress story! I only went to 2 stores before I found my dress. i'm waiting for it to come in now and hopefully it doesn't need too many alterations!
    -- jackie - jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your outfit! Those boots, THOSE BOOTS. WANT.

    I loved your dress, I thought it was the prettiest thing! And it is awesome that you bought it ahead of time, because then it was one less thing to worry about :) AND you have a cute story to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning dress and sweet story to go with it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story. If you know, you know. And what a beautiful wedding!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha, how cool! So both of us didn't go to bridal boutiques! I bought my wedding dress on ebay and the er- other 3 were also bargains!x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dress was gorgeous, and this is such a fabulous story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab outfit (floral and leopard print--two of my faves!)! And... your sweet story is so touching and beautiful! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dress is so gorgeous and unique! I'm glad my post reminded you to tell us the story behind it =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great story!! When you know, you just know! I love that your wedding dress was pink! I would love for mine to be pale purple one day!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is such a happy story <3 my best friend knew she would be getting engaged sometime in the next year, but the wedding venue she wanted booked 2 years out, and so she booked the site a few weeks before he asked :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi
    It has been some time since I visited website with such high quality information about regarding . Thank you so much for providing such helpful information. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.affordable wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that's such a fantastic story...and naturally, I had to read the other posts. You looked stunning on your wedding day. The dress and the whole atmosphere looked incredible. So personal and unique!

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh great story, Megan! I loved your dress and now love Chris's comment even more. I loved that all your sisters were wearing white, too. (and each of their dresses were uniquely perfect for them.) I love your hat today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a fantastic story! I love that you just knew and your taste didn't change over those two years...maybe I should do that haha I love this look too! The floral leggings are perfect!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's lovely. Isn't it weird how you just know when a dress has to be yours! I loved your wedding photos, it looked like a magical day and you did look every bit the princess.

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for sharing your dress story. it's pretty...and very princess-like!
    and holy moly...look at all that snow!! my sister's in-law (from minnesota) is here on vacay. she is glad to escape all that for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i remember seeing your gorgeous dress on your IG. still one of my faves ever!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just had to take another look at your wedding pics. So darn gorgeous...all of them!! Dawn xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that's what makes it all so special! You did it your way and your way alone. I love the idea of Pinterest and magazines filled with celebrities,etc., but putting your own spin on it? Priceless!

    Thanks for keeping it real as always! #refreshing

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am 100 % in love with this vest!!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that story about your dress, and the dress is gorgeous! I bought mine walking down the street, and saw a rack of sale dressed in a storefront in the garment center near my office. It was $27! I called my sis, and she said why are you hesitating, if it is wrong you can wear it to Halloween! Well, it worked, and my sister wore it too!
    Love your outfit, the fur vest and floral is fabulous together, and I like the macrame hat so much, too!'
    XX, Elle

    ReplyDelete