Friday, February 14, 2014

bird.i.y./bird's nest: i give you my wall (the valentine's day edition)

i was inspired by cheryl's fabulous love diys and wanted to incorporate something like them for my gift for chris this year. we both decided years ago that for valentine's day, we would only give homemade gifts, and i have loved every gift, both given and received.
on one of the many snow days, the kids and i spent the day crafting. i literally went downstairs to the craft dresser, grabbed whatever i could carry and threw it all on the dining room table. it was one of my favorite days this year! the kids made chris some paintings for his office. and then helped me with making pom poms for a "wreath" that you will see below. i also made a "in this house" clipboard that i have been wanting to make since i saw a super expensive version at joann fabrics a while ago, and a pipe cleaner/yarn love hanging.
i thought i'd just leave it at the gifts we made. but then i thought, why not give him a wall for valentines day...something that he will see every single day when he walks in the house. sort of a "welcome, i love you" reminder. we have a front entryway that is rather small, and i have created a mural wall when you walk in. it is a little busy, and i didn't really plan on where to put everything...so i loved it, but i also wanted to change it. so i did....
i am pretty proud of myself that i actually thought things out. i measured the wall, cut out some paper to size, and arranged (and rearranged) (and rearranged) the pieces until i found an order that i liked. i then marked where each nail would need to go, hung the paper on the wall, drilled some holes, and made it work (i even spackled the old holes...that is so unlike me). and i love the finished product. hopefully chris does too!

xoxo picture ~ eva made at school
"O" ~ the kids and i made
clipboard ~ i made
clock ~ Etsy
everything else ~ thrifted

 heart mirror ~ Ikea
love hanging ~ Target
you are here ~ diy (see the post here)
key ~ wedding gift from erin
this is our happy ever after ~ made for wedding
home sweet home ~ thrifted





 arrows ~ diy (see the post here)

daily affirmation magnets on our door ~ thrifted

orange cabinet ~ semi diy (see the post here)


sure, a wall is a very untraditional valentine's day gift, but no one has ever called me traditional!

happy valentine's day!!
xo,
megan bird

30 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely idea I may have to borrow; mayhap for the Great Scot's birthday!

    Happy Valentine's to the both of you and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gallery wall! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! What a fun mix.

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing idea! So many lovely pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creative and eclectic! I love it. He is one lucky guy.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great gallery wall - I love the 'you are here'
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable- and so creative, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So awesome! I still love that You Are Here picture, I need to do one of those one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is AMAZING! I love all of it. So creative and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you care if I totally copy that clip board? It's adorable. I actually need ideas for my kiddos room! We moved in last year and there's NOTHING on the walls!
    -ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!! Do you know what Etsy store that clock is from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally worded my response to this post wrong ha-ha. The previous post displays how sweet and thoughtful you are with your gifts! This just continues to show it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is absolutely gorgeous dear Megan!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a truly heart-felt, creative, and beautiful idea. I am sure he will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great collection, Megan.

    Yes, I emphasized Lexi being from Minnesota --- for all ye Ol' Minnesota Bloggers, Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving this love wall! Awesome idea. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the clipboard. I want to make!
    Can you give/direct me to instructions?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am SO gonna do that clipboard! Nice. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cute! I love how you used the entire wall all the way to the ceiling! All the little DIY elements are so special!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is adorable! You guys are the cutest x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous design! That framed xoxo pic is priceless! I have a framed picture of apples in my kitchen my youngest son made when he was about five years old--he's 24 now. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just the sweetest wall! I love all the unique pieces! The clock and the 'you are here' picture are lovely!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  24. so sweet and different from anything i've seen lately. i love your love wall!

    ReplyDelete
  25. so adorable
    I hope everyone appreciates it
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  26. Megan, this is the most creative and inspiring Valentines day display ever !
    I am in awe !
    Have a great week!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adorable. Truly makes your house a home. <3

    ReplyDelete