Thursday, January 30, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): if these walls could talk




sweater~ Marshall's
hat~ knit by my mom
tee (super old) and leggings~ Urban Outfitters
necklace~ Etsy, gift from Jim
boots~ Sam Edelman
socks~ Target

yesterday i had a big burst of creative energy. that kind of energy that i need to channel into something productive or i will take it out on my closet, suddenly deciding that, omg, my clothes are so lame and i need a new style and i am totally going to spend way too much money online shopping right now! (does anyone else get like that, or is it just me?) anyway, whether that makes sense to you or not, i decided that online shopping/spending money was not the way to go (and not creative in the least!) and that i would use that energy to redecorate my kitchen walls. we had some art hanging in there that just didn't really fit and was just thrown up there because we felt we needed something and so on and so forth. anyway, i suddenly decided i was sick of looking at it and it needed to go and i told jim, as he was leaving for work, that i would be taking it down and doing something new. yet, i had no idea what. he looked super excited. (this is false.) basically, he rolled his eyes and left. throughout the day, while the kids were playing together or napping, i went through the house and gathered random items to hang. i brought up some watercolors and canvases and asked mimi to paint a couple of pictures, to which she obliged. i even dug through my old college art portfolio and found a few things that were actually pretty cool (including a portrait i did of jim almost twelve years ago which, while it did not make the wall, was nonetheless hilarious). the walls are still a work in progress. i am sure i will be adding and editing for a while still. but i am starting to love how they look. they are personal and fun. i got creative and i totally avoided spending way too much money on clothes that, while i may still really want, i definitely do not need. until spring, when i am obviously totally going to need a new wardrobe, am i right?

xoxo, nora bird

26 comments:

  1. You're definitely right about needing a new spring wardrobe! So, do we get to see your redecorating??!?

    Love the leggings, they really make the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that way to when i feel like I need to redecorate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to show us the walls when they're done! My online shopping urges usually don't get channeled into anything else and I wind up spending money, haha.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get bursts of energy too, but I'm glad you decided to do something creative with it! Can't wait to see the finished product. You look so cute, love your sweater.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute outfit, you rock the leather-look leggings! redecorating/re-arranging things at home is a great way to channel your creativity (and save some money lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i need some of that energy! i love those leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awh Nora, Such a cute ensemble - especially the HAT. Looks so adorable on you. Was it like -6° out on the deck? You were brave. Now I am excited to see the kitchen wall re-do/re-design. Yay, bet it is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I was as creative as you both! Also, that sweater is fantastic!! I love it, I need it, I have to have it! (Even though, I just swore to myself that I wasn't going to buy myself anything for the next few months.... we'll see how long that lasts!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you show us your new wall!

    And cute outfit! I know you're all freezing in the east, so stepping outside for photos is a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! And, yes, I am totally guilty of this also. I hope you get to show us your wall! I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago and went on a picture hanging frenzy on our stairwell (we just bought a house in October and we didn't have a stairwell in the old house and so it's just been sitting there naked). Patrick was out on business and when he came back, he didn't even notice at first! Ugh! What do men know anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  11. can i say how jealous i am of those who are artistic? i'm creative, but can't draw/paint/etc to save my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute look! You guys always make me want to try leggings more, and I suck at wearing them. Jim sounds a lot like Kyle, lol. I hope that you share what the walls are going to look like, I love projects! I am totally the same when it comes to buying crap online. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that sweater! I'm constantly battling the desire to rearrange the walls every three months. It's a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to practice self control! Whew, that was close. I am glad you are shopping around your home and finding "new" treasures! You look ever so cozy and chis all at the same time.

    I need the hat, booties, and the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope we get a big reveal tomorrow!!!! Sounds great fun!! Wish I could be so creative (and make my house look interesting!)x

    ReplyDelete
  16. One - I love everything about your outfit and two - I totally get those energy bursts about my house too. I wish I'd had one during my maternity leave, I could have gotten things done when he was napping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. bursts of creative energy are my favorite thing ever- but when it gets channeled into online shopping - oyyyy vey. not good. good thing you were able to distract yourself long enough to do the walls :) also: those pants are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great outfit and as always I love the peek a boo socks
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have a serious itch to online shop...in fact, i'm looking for some statement necklaces right now! good luck with the redecorating! that's always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking lovely, Nora! I adore your creative endeavor! I, too, have begun to frame and hang artwork I did years ago--and that my children did as youngsters. These are unique treasures and really do bring me joy! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you, Nora! I wish that I could take that energy I feel when I want to shop and create. I have so many ideas. I just need to apply them.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is awesome that you could harness that energy and do something positive and productive with it. I have been bad and have been online shopping lately :[ I need some sunshine already! You have inspired me to decorate this weekend instead.

    I am loving those leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you! But this weather is just draining me - can I borrow some of your energy haha I absolutely love this look! Especially the cardigan!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very creative! I want to eventually rearrange the rooms in my home. Hopefully I'll get a burst of energy to get started. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nora, I love your mixed patterns, the tweed beret, and the animal print sweater, graphic tee and chevron
    Socks! LOVE!!
    I can't wait to. See the new wall ,old funny portrait, especially !
    XX, Ell
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good job! Channel that energy! I've been trying to reorganize my bedroom....It's not come to fruition yet lol.
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete