Tuesday, January 21, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): book recommendations




jacket~ Buffalo by David Bitton
shirt~ F21
jeans~ Levis
shoes~ Ebay
hat~ old, ???

lately, jim and i have been watching a lot less tv. this wasn't really a conscious decision. it just sort of happened. normally, after the kids would go to bed at night, we would make our way downstairs and zone out in front of the tv for a couple hours before we retired for the evening. but lately, we have forgone the tv to, instead, sit together on the couch in the living room, sipping tea, and reading books (me) or working (him). it has been really refreshing. i don't mind missing my shows (mostly because i know they are all being recording on our dvr anyway)(sometimes i get a little anxious thinking about catching up on all of them, but that is a different story). and it has been really nice just enjoying the quiet evenings with my husband. the point of this rambling is that i would love your book recommendations! last week i finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. i would highly recommend both books. i was just about to start Veronica Roth's Divergent series, but i am not sure i want to get into a series quite yet. with series, i usually get a little obsessed and have to finish them all in a row (this is also how i get when i start a tv series on netflix. that can eat up an entire weekend!). anyway, if you have read any books lately that you loved or hated or think are definitely worth reading for whatever reason, please let me know in the comments! i am excited to hear your recommendations!

thanks in advance!

xoxo, nora bird

22 comments:

  1. I love that two-tone coat! I haven't read anything in quite a while (I tend to read more in the summer) so I'm of no help.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband just finished Dr. Sleep the new Stephen King and loved it. Now I'm about to start it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You coat is super cute. I need to read more books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous coat.....the shape is AWESOME!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and it was really great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have nothing to recommend as I am currently reading a beachy trash mystery novel that C's step-mom lent me over the weekend. :) I think this sounds like a great (new) tradition! :) It's so easy to just zone out to a show - we are watching The Mentalist right now. :) Love those red lips, N. And that hair...I cannot wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read like a crazy person so I have nothing but recommendations! If you enjoyed Gone Girl, Flynn's previous two books (Sharp Objects and Dark Places) are just as good. I recently read a pretty girly book called Maine that I really liked. Also: The Book Thief, The Night Circus, Ready Player One (if you are an 80s pop culture kind of person). I could go on forever, but there are a few!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved My Life in France by Julia Child, and I just started reading this novella that is supposed to be incredible called If You're Not Yet Like Me by Eden something... :) Also, LOVED Tiny Beautiful Things and Wild by Cheryl Strayed, if you haven't read either yet. Curtis Sittenfeld also writes some great enthralling reads that are usually a nice balance of not-fluffy but still entertaining (I liked American Wife).

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds so sweet! I would love to say that I'm a reader . . . but I am definitely not. Sorry! I love the beanie and your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that sounds so lovely! Kyle and I watch so many shows together, I am excited that he is back in school so that we can read together more. I have heard that John Green is amazing, so I will check him out! For fluff, I like anything by Meg Cabbot, but right now I am working though some classics.

    Also, also, I love the coat and bad ass shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have recently read Silent Wife and The Husband's Secret which I loved and now am reading What Alice Forgot and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your coat! And I read Gone Girl over the summer and literally did nothing else that week. It was so good, I was just glued to it!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That coat is an instant classic, love it! I'm in a re-reading phase; books I've loved I re-read a bazillion times. Hmmm, The Book Thief is a must if you haven't read it. Also re-reading The Lovely Bones and Lucky, oh, and Born on a Blue Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm probably no help since I am in Series Limbo and need to start reading House of Hades.
    I love your coat by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous coat! I love it on you. :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's actually a kids book but 'Tom's midnight garden' is so wonderful! You could read it, fall in love with it and then read it to Eva!!x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I prefer Flynn's Dark Places to Gone Girl, personally. Also, I read Those Who Save Us, liked it, and lent it to my mom who is loving it. I'm currently reading Gulp by Mary Roach who is my favorite non-fiction author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That coat is great!! I love that it's two colors and has a unique shape! I read Gone Girl and loved it! It was a crazy book! I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman a few weeks ago and it was so wonderful and lovely!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  19. never heard of Buffalo by David Bitton but love that jacket :) i just finished orange is the new black and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling (yes, THAT JK Rowlling) is hilarious and heartbreaking. I devoured it last fall, and then felt so sad when it was finished. I highly recommend it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I should read one of these books you have suggested instead of all the doctor lit I have around here now. yes, I will read Gone Girl soon. I love the simple black pumps in this ensemble, Nora. I was expecting boots but this is way is awesome and hopeful, like wanting springtime "hopeful". lol

    ReplyDelete