Friday, January 10, 2014

bird's nest: a room tour with nora bird

megan had mentioned a while back that we should do home tours on the blog. i was hesitant at first because, if you have ever seen megan's home, you know it is amazing. i seriously think it might be the cutest, coolest, and best decorated house in minneapolis. and i have always thought that, compared to her house, mine might seem a bit...boring. to be nice, we'll call it more minimal! plus, my house is teeny tiny, so there is really not a whole lot to see. but the more i thought about it and looked around at my space, the more i realized how much love my home. so, today i am going to share the two rooms we spend probably most of our time in: the living room and dining room. they are adjoining, so it would have been hard to share just one. plus, like i said, tiny.



almost everything in both rooms is either thrifted, gifted, or craigslisted. the exceptions are the red rug and red birdy pillows (IKEA), our dining room chairs, which we bought online, and a couple of the baskets (Marshall's and World Market).


jim bought me the vintage flag for christmas last year. i love it. my nephew, henry, was over the other day and said to me, "um, nora, your flag is wrong. there are only 48 stars." i love him.




our credenza has lived in both our living room and our dining room, but i love it here. jim and i also call it "the garage" because underneath is where the kids store their big toy cars and trucks. the credenza displays the few plants that i have managed to not kill. and if you are ever thirsty when you're here, now you know where to look!



both of our couches were craiglisted. the blue couch is nice and long and great for napping! the green couch is my favorite piece of furniture. that amazing chair was given to us by some dear friends (yes, given to us!) and my beloved coffee table was also a craigslist find. (my poor palm tree is slowly dying. any advice???)




i love our fireplace and mantel and have a lot of fun with what i display. we have family photos, some of our favorite art, lots of birds and knick-knacks, and many a mimi creation! that owl, the dolls, the painted driftwood, and the stick/maple leaf bugs? that's all mimi! and, since we don't actually use the fireplace, i recently gave our firewood a little facelift with some paint. i kinda love it.


we store arts and crafts supplies and toys in that cabinet (found at a garage sale) and blankets in the basket. we also have a lot of leaning art in our house. partly because we're lazy and partly because, while it is awesome to have pretty archways and lots of windows, that leaves very little wall space for hanging art!


some of our favorite books and subjects!



some people might hide their kids' toys for their room tour, but who are we kidding? i have kids. and they have tons of stuff. everywhere. baskets to the rescue!


also, t.v.


bird.i.ys on display!





wow...that was a lot of photos for two small rooms! sorry about that. i hope you enjoyed the room tours! we love our little home and hope you do, too! megan and i will be featuring more from each of our homes in the future!

happy friday!

xoxo, nora bird

31 comments:

  1. What a fun, creative use of your space; all the light and colour is absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love your green couch. It's such a great color. I also absolutely love dream catchers. Your house is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your home!!!! How adorable! And that credenza is absolutely perfect...I dream of having something like that in my house one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is so cute. I have brought a lot of furniture for a yard sale to fill my house up. I'm still not done finalizing everything in it yet. One day I will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house is so bright and airy, I love that! My grandfather was a artist and he had lots of the Jane Avrils series hanging up so I think it's neat that you have one too!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    $50 PayPal Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super eclectic and fun! Just like you : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention, my favourite piece is the credenza. Just fabulous!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! Your place is so cute! I love the colorful logs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that credenza! I need something like that for my place too. I personally don't think your place is tiny. I wouldn't know what to do with all that space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nora your house is simple, but very, very cute! I used to never be a fan of white walls, but I have realized with cute furniture, they really work! Especially in tiny houses ( I am going to paint our entire upstairs white because of this , lots of inspiration in this post!)

    I love that you have cute, colorful baskets for the kid's toys!It used to really annoy me growing up when all of my younger brother's would leave toys out, stepping on a lego = hell. I am going to have to keep that in mind :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how bright and colorful the room is! It's so cheerful and uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, what a great space! And with the sun shining in...very bright, and cheery vibe! I love your space, and I love the painted logs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your house is adorable! I am loving the living room wit the flag and all your furniture! It looks like you went to some special store to get them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nora, your house is absolutely beautiful! It just screams Minneapolis to me-- reminds me so much of all the cute little mpls homes I used to babysit in during college :) So bright & warm & welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful and so LIGHT! Our house is dark and dingy! X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh what fun rooms! I love the painted logs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe we're just own our worst critics, because I always think my house is boring compared to everyone else. But I have ALWAYS loved your house from the snippets I've seen via Instagram. And these pics are gorgeous. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your sofa! I know I've mentioned that to you before, but I do. I also love that you painted the firewood ends in those fun colors. awesome. Your home is a great 'older' home that has character and great architecture. I'm looking forward to more of each of your "bird nests". cool ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful home! I love small spaces and living in a teeny, tiny apartment, I always love to see how other people make the best of their space.

    -Meagan
    Brass in Pocket Blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely home! Your style is fab, Nora--and what sweet little ones! Have a great weekend, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. your home is absolutely gorgeous - love the thrifted, gifted, craigslisted rhyme :) such a fun place -- you should submit it to dwellinggawker :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. your house is NOT boring! it's bright and colourful even with all the white and looks very cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your Nest, Mama Bird! The kids look so cute playing and enjoying their home.
    My favorite is your green settee,chair!! So chic and retro...what a treasure.

    I spy with my little eye your Kevyn Aucoin book. I have the same copy...he was truly the master and is so missed.

    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun cheery room
    I would be in there all of the time
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nora Bird! What a gorgeous, eclectic, perfect house! Made even more special that everything most things were found or happened upon. I adore the chair your gorgeous little girls was sitting it, and love how you repurposed the credenza. The painted logs in the fireplace.. I could go on and one!
    Take Pride!!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/2014/01/stay-warm-in-a-sapphire-blue-gress/

    ReplyDelete
  26. What lovely rooms. I can't believe that so much of your furniture is thrifted - it looks amazing! It just goes to show that if you look around you can find some real gems. I love what you've done with the fireplace but the mantel is my favourite, it's so personal and shows so much of your families personality. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love it all! esp the credenza and the color-tipped wood!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What great rooms! It has so much personality! I love all the touches of color! And now I wish I had a fireplace, just so I could put some colored logs in it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I cannot get over how amazing your house looks! It is so creative and shows off your personality!
    XO,
    http://www.sororitygirlintherealworld.com/

    ReplyDelete