Thursday, December 19, 2013

outfit of the day(bird): (not) holding it all together




dress ~ H&M
sweater ~ thrifted
booties ~ b. (a resale shop)
earrings ~ F21
bracelet ~ garage sale

when i got the call from henry's school that he broke his arm, i started crying right away. i figured it was ok because he didn't see me (only all of my coworkers saw me). i figured that i could get the cry out then and when i saw him, i could be the strong mom who holds it together for her son so he doesn't get more scared. i'd be the super mom who makes her son feel like everything will be ok.

and i did hold it together. i picked him up from school, walked him to the car, very carefully got him buckled in, and talked to him the whole way to the hospital because inside i was secretly freaking out that he would go into shock.

then we got to the hospital. they took the x-ray, and the doctor walked into the room, looked me in the eye, and said, "it's a horrible break, he's going to need surgery", and i immediately burst into tears. not sobbing tears, just the "i'm trying not to cry, so i'll be quiet" sort of cry where tears just silently fall down your face. and henry saw me, and i felt horrible because i wanted to be that mom, that strong mom.

instead, i continued to cry the whole time, and henry was the one who held it together. i told him that he knows me and that i cry all the time, and he told me i was hysterical. we were both right.

in the end, i was able to calm his fears, stroke his hair, kiss him as much as possible, and talk to him about what was going on. but in the back of my head, i still felt horrible for not being able to hold it together when it mattered the most.

thanks for all of your well wishes yesterday. henry is feeling much better. his full cast goes on next week, and i think he's secretly looking forward to the bragging rights he will get with a full arm cast.

xo,
megan bird

25 comments:

  1. Adore the festive look! And, so glad to hear Henry's on the mend! We had several bone breaks over the years with our boys--just not this severe. I know you had to be frantic. I would have been as well. T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! I did the same thing when Logan broke his arm. I mean, he is my baby and he was BROKEN. That is traumatizing for a Mom!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome outfit! Your blog is great :) Would you like to follow each other? If so just let us know! :D

    www.junkjournal100.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you just had to be so scared for him. Don't beat yourself up over it. He knows just how much you love him.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor baby!!! No one could have held it together - I would have LOST it - you're an amazing, Mom, and he is so lucky. Please let me know if I can send him something to cheer him up? Maybe something small off his xmas list? xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor you and poor Henry. What a brave guy! I hope you have a merry Christmas and give him a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - how scary! So glad Henry held it together, and hoping you have a glass of wine in your near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear Henry is doing better! It must've been so scary for the both of you!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    December Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so sorry! I would have cried too, for sure. Calm under pressure definitely isn't my middle name. Love your outfit today too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no!! poor henry and poor mama too! I'm sure i'd be a crying mess seeing as I cry when addilyn as a cold. love your outfit - you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh poor little guy! It's amazing how much stronger our kids can be than ourselves. It's ok to break down. When my oldest son split his head open and needed 10 stitches, I lost it too.

    On an unrelated note, this is my favorite cardigan of all time. I love the stripes--especially against the all black!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw poor thing! It's amazing how strong kids can be. Hope he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! Oh bless him, he is such a brave and loving boy and I wish him a speedy recovery. You look lovely, your cardigan looks great xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Megan, it is okay to cry. It is okay to be strong, too. Which ever happens happens, ya know? It seemed Henry was brave. That is great too.

    Sure hope his recovery is mellow and goes well. The point he won't like is the physical therapy, I can guarantee it!

    Your ensemble is awesome today. I love the solid black with the bold stripes or red & white. Looks great with your coloring {dark hair}. Awh, just remember you are a GREAT Mom, k?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You inspire me that in spite of feeling blue, you still look pretty put together! Aww.. poor Henry! I hope he heals soon.. I am sure he will! With a sweet and caring mom like you, he's going to be ok.

    I LOVE your outfit! You are such a fashionable and amazing mom!

    ♥, Jo | www.STYLEAT30.com
    Fashion | Food | Travel

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's only because you care so much. It's fine to cry. Girl's perogative x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry! I hope that Henry heals fast, what a sweet boy. I would have been bawling my eyes out too! Side-note: You look lovely and Christmas-y. I hope the rest of your week goes smooth Megan *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear about Henry and that he had to have surgery
    As a mom of 2 boys all I can say is broken bones and stitches are all part of life, so be prepared!!!
    Hope he is feeling better and that you are too.
    Love this striped cardi!!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm only two weeks into this mom thing and I know I'd be the same way. I can barely hold it together sometimes when Oliver cries and I don't know why! Passion = good mom right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry he had to have surgery!! I definitely would have cried too.

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry to read this ... I would have cried too :(

    I don't know if it is bad to also mention how much I love your outfit. You look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. aww megan, i'm so sorry! i don't have children,but i know how heartbreaking it is to know that someone you love is in pain. i hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh hun, bless you. I do hope he is ok and on the mend. I still worry about mine when things go wrong and they are now grown up.

    Sending hugs.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good to know that Henry is doing better :) Love your sweater!
    Amia

    ReplyDelete