Tuesday, December 10, 2013

outfit of the day(bird): (american) girl drama




jeggings ~H&M
shirt ~ swap
vest ~ vintage, thrifted
boots ~ Urban Original
hat ~ thrifted

i mentioned a while back that eva wanted an american girl doll for christmas. well, her birthday happens to be a week before christmas, and her uncle happens to spoil her. lo and behold last saturday evening, she opened a present to an audible gasp and the best look i have seen on her face. pure joy. she got her saige doll.

but before that happened, she had her friends birthday party. like i mentioned yesterday, there were seven seven-year olds there...all adorable little girls, but i can see the drama already happening in their lives. one of her best friends, whom i adore, showed up, smiled very big at me, and whispered in my ear that she bought eva an american girl doll for her birthday. it was an our generation doll...and i'm not saying that to be snotty, it's part of the story. anyway, it was our generation, and when eva opened it, she loved it just as much if it were an american girl doll. in fact, she thought it was an american girl doll. until...

the little girl who bought it squealed in delight and said, "it's an american girl doll!" and eva squealed in equal delight...as all little girls should when they get a great present. eva quickly tried to get the impossible hooks and plastic off the doll, when all of a sudden, another girl waved her finger back and forth and said, "an american girl doll would not wear those shoes. that's a target doll!" she said it with such disdain that for a moment i wish i could have muted the room and turned back time so that no one had heard her say that. i quickly replied that the doll was amazing and eva loved her no matter where she came from. and the drama was over and they all started dancing again.

i know the girl was not trying to be mean, she is, after all, seven years old. she was (hopefully) just trying to point out a fact. but man, i felt so bad, and just wanted to hug the sweet little girl who bought eva an amazing gift. in the end, eva loves saige and ruby equally. in fact, she and i plan on making them beds with their own blankets this weekend. she feeds them, puts them to bed, and brushes their hair on a daily basis, and if asked, she would tell you, like any parent, that she can't pick favorites between her two kids.

xo,
megan bird

30 comments:

  1. This is too sweet! I'm sure the girl didn't mean to be rude, though it certainly did come out that way to adult ears. I loveddddd my American Girl doll when I was younger (that was when there were only like 5 different girls to choose from though haha!)

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly--a good friend relayed a similar story to me at lunch last week. Hers, though, was a recollection of her own childhood and another child informing her that her Cabbage Patch doll wasn't a real one. :( Love the outfit--especially that fab vest!!! Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--what a story! I can so relate to in that moment wishing you could take back what had been said! Those little girls haven't yet grasped the nuances of politeness and the things you just don't say. I'm glad your daughter loves both of her dolls! My 7 year old sister is hoping for an American Girl doll for Christmas, but I don't know yet if she'll actually get one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! That hurt my heart too! It's so easy to squash little feelings like that without ever meaning to.

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the party was fun! My nieces were probably around 6 and 7, 4 of them, and they did not want my one niece to be in the picture because she was not wearing Old Navy fleece! I was shocked and then just made them all pose. It starts too young. You are such a great mom! Oh, the girls are now 18-21 and get along quite well despite fashion differences;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids say the darndest things and that can often be hurtful. I'm glad your daughter didn't dwell on it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I'm glad you were able to squash the drama quickly and that Eva is happy with both dolls!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your fur vest! little girls are mean - unfortunately that's just part of growing up :/

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!!!! I would love to make pillows for the bed?? :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha oh my gosh girls are getting worse at younger ages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love american girl dolls!!! I'm loving that cozy vest on you!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad your Eva doesn't subscribe to the drama or measure her love for her dolls based on where they came from. :) Good job, Mama.

    And the vest. So great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw well good for Eva for being loving to both "babies". That was sweet of her uncle and friend to get her the doll she wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so cozy and cute and I love this so much! I am glad that Ava is a good kid and loves both dolls equally. You are an awesome mom and I am so sorry that you had to deal with the little snotty comment, but like you said, she is 7 and probably does not know better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh, what a heart wrenching moment -- i have a feeling the poor little girl is going to realize her mistake when she goes home and reflects on what she said (maybe?) anyway, a hard lesson to learn.. but i'm glad that eva enjoyed her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that birthday gift situation sounds so awkward. I think you handled it well. I feel bad for the little girl though, I hope she doesn't feel too bad.

    side note, that furry vest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally jealous of that vest! I wanted an American Girl doll Molly when I was a kid and my mom wouldn't get me one because they were too expensive. I can't believe they've lasted so long and have this whooooooole little girl culture around them still!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i really do like that eva of yours. her mom is special too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. First of all, love the plaid and fur! Great combo. Second, I feel so bad for the little girl that brought the other doll. And I kind of want to hurt the bratty girl. But I love that your daughter loves both dolls equally. Who cares where they came from??

    Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, adorable post, Megan. Lucky and blessed is your sweet daughter! Those years are enchanting times. Can't wait to see the beds and bedding (yay!) Yes, do make "It's a Wonderful Life" a family tradition. I love your fluffy, furry vest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. your outfit is adorable... but the background SO MUCH SNOW. Ha-ha I am just not feeling it this year. I want my sunny mornings back.

    AND wow.. I am sure that girl was not trying to be mean, but you did a good job making everything write again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this outfit and the American girl doll story. Crazy how quickly girls can become.....opinionated. Glad she loves both dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a cute story! Good to hear that Eva is enjoying both...talk about a great birthday! :)

    Jess - J's Style

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your neighborhood is so so adorable! And I need to stop by your blog more often :)
    ~Zhenya
    http://beingzhenya.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a cute story! I use to be OBSESSED with my American Girl Dolls when I was young! Also, loving this outfit! Super chic but still practical and warm! :)

    <3 Shannon
    upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aww, isn't it horrible how early the drama starts in our lives, and just never ends? Glad she loves both her dolls equally and at least isn't completely sucked into the brand name nonsense.

    Love your cozy plaid and vest combo!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think girls are born with the catty gene!!!
    Love this outfit you are sporting
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Kids say the dardnest things! I'm glad Eva likes both of her dolls equally. :-) Cute look btw.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete