Friday, December 13, 2013

bird.i.y.: breaking bad-themed secret santa gift

is it appropriate to give a breaking bad-themed secret santa gift to a coworker? i have no idea. did i do it anyway? i sure did. and all for under $5.
i will admit, i have never seen breaking bad. ever.ever. not that i don't want to see it, i just never have. so when i found out it was my secret santa's favorite show, i did a little research. and by a little research i really mean none at all, because i'm pretty sure everyone knows the premise to the show, even if you don't watch it. if you don't know the premise, this gift might seem a bit weird to you.
onto the gift...we have a $5 limit each week (and a whopping $10 the last week), so i was limited in what i could buy. i decided that the bulk of my money would be spent on a coffee mug, as i know my coworker drinks hot cocoa every day. also because of that, i decided to make it a breaking bad/hot cocoa theme...because you know, the two go hand in hand, right?
this was a very easy gift to make. here's what you need:
~ enamel mug
~ sharpie
~ rubbing alcohol/cotton balls (if you're not perfect)
~ white chocholate chips
~ blue sprinkles
~ plastic spoons
~ one packet of hot cocoa
i started with the mug. i knew i wanted to write his name in what looks like the periodic table (ok, i lied, i did research breaking bad and saw that they used the periodic table in the title sequence).
(i made a stencil for the squares because it's extra hard to draw on a curvy enamel surface. the rest i (clearly) freehanded.)
 
here's how i made the cup...and i even tested it to make sure my work was permanent. draw what you need on the mug with a sharpie (if you mess up, rubbing alcohol will "erase" your mistake). put your mug in the oven and then start the heat (i set the oven at 375 F). let it cook for 30 minutes, and then turn off the oven, but let the mug cool in the oven so it doesn't crack. i left mine in all day because i had to go to work. when i got home, i scrubbed and scrubbed with dish soap, and it stuck...so we'll say that it worked!

and yes, all you science people, i am well aware that there is no Ja, So, or N in the periodic table. but his name is jason, so i improvised. he also just got engaged on october 6, so i decided to use those numbers at the top of each "element" for a little special touch.


next, i wanted to make some meth spoons. yes, you read that right. meth spoons. ok, in reality (if any police officers are reading this) i have no idea how to make meth. no idea at all. plus, i already told you this was a hot cocoa themed gift...so i made fake meth. the kind you can stir into hot cocoa to give it a little white chocolatey creamy goodness. i just melted the chocolate, put it on the spoon to dry and crushed some blue (meth colored?) sprinkles onto the chocolate. i let these sit all day, too to cool down.

i had planned on just throwing the packet of hot cocoa into the mix, but then i looked at the picture on the packet and decided it could easily be turned into a meth-dealing chemistry teacher. so i took my trusty sharpie and drew the infamous heisenberg hat and sunglasses on the existing mug on the package. and then i so cleverly added the " hot heisenberg" above the word cocoa. and now what you have is some delicious meth cocoa. (i'm kind of afraid of what kind of keyword traffic we will be getting today.)

i threw it all together and sent it on its merry way. and from whispers around the office, my coworker liked it!

do (did) you watch the show? do you know anyone who would appreciate this gift?
xo,
megan bird


23 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great gift. Homemade gift are the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I have to make this for my boyfriend.
    GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen the show, like you. And this is adorable!! What a great idea

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome gift! And some day make some time to watch the shoe, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing and so creative. I have to watch the movie now. Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen the show but what a cute themed gift!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Necklace Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAHAHA!!! My favorite part of this post is the blue "Meth Colored?" sprinkles. I have no idea what it looks like, but that gift is hilarious, and super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! It's awesome-it would have been really funny if they weren't fans and had no idea what any of this meant! But I bet they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This gift is seriously too awesome fr words! I love the thought that was put into it and how you still stuck to the budget. Very creative and fun!

    Good luck with the keyword traffic today ;)

    xo,
    Marissa
    www.shabbychicandcheap.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha that's an awesome present! i've only seen the show here and there (i would love to watch it from beginning to end sometime), and even i would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I don't even watch the show and this looks awesome as hell! You are so creative and thoughtful, so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a good idea!! My husband was totally hooked on the show (I actually really hated the show because I thought it was disturbing) but this is an awesome idea!!!

    Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. WHat a sweet idea! And I had no idea Sharpies could be used in this way! (thinks carefully about the silver sharpie she has!) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never seen the show either but I know many people who have and loved it. I think you sure went the extra mile and did your research for a lovely personal gift! How could she not love it!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen the show, but I did know the premise of it too! I love how much thought and attention to detail you put into the gift--someone's lucky to be paired with you as their Secret Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Megan, That is the most creative DIY gift I have even seen!
    No wonder I love this blog! ( you should see the show, too..)
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/2013/12/amazing-shopping-tip-shopping-fifteen-dollar-store-com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not to bomb this post but I responded back to your comment on my post the other day and it looks like you're a no-reply blogger so I wanted to make sure I thanked you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! I so agree the whole comment for a comment thing is weird. Honestly, I have seen some bloggers who can write like three sentences about what they ate that day and get 40 comments on it but if you really look at what people saying you can tell about 80% of them are playing that game. I guess when I think about it I would rather have a few good, interactive comment vs 40 blah ones...LOL Again thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As usual phenomenal post! You are a champion!
    I can see that you love what you are doing!
    Thanks for posting! I love you :-*

    Let’s Swap Postcards!


    Regards,
    Katherine Unique


    ReplyDelete
  20. haha this made my day! too clever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the best thing ever. I just bake people bread.
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. These spa gift idea would be a perfect well they can be put in a surprise gift boxes instead of a transparent container.

    mother day gift shopping

    ReplyDelete