Friday, December 20, 2013

bird.i.y: antler necklace


this is a super fun and easy diy! the antlers could easily be made into many things: christmas ornaments, wall hangings, necklaces...okay, maybe just a few things. i decided to go the necklace route and make my mom and sisters some fun little gifts!

what you'll need:
polymer clay
embroidery thread
necklace chain(s)
glue
needle

first, take a small amount of clay and roll it back and forth into a long tube.

next, fold the tube piece in half and make the shape and points of the antlers.



i went ahead and made six of these. one for my mom, each of my sisters, and myself! once you are happy with how your antlers look, poke holes on either side where the necklace chain will go using the yarn needle. then bake them according to the directions on the clay package.

once the antlers are baked and dry, wrap them with embroidery thread (gluing as needed) (i used hot glue on the first necklace and then, when reminded how much i hate hot glue, switched to fabric glue.) and attach the necklace chain! i had fun choosing colors that i thought my mom and sisters would like! i had many colors to choose from, seeing as i am a crafting supply hoarder and had a multitude of embroidery thread! you know, even though i don't embroider.



like i said, this was super easy and fun. and i think they turned out well! i hope my mom and sisters think so, too!

would you wear an antler necklace???

xoxo, nora bird

p.s. please note: i did not come up with this diy! i found it on this blog and i loved it so much, i made my own! gotta give credit where credit is due!

17 comments:

  1. This is adorable, and I'm totally pinning it. And I have a ton of embroidery thread too... even though I don't embroider. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative and festive!
    I love it!

    Caitlin
    www.atgatsbys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea!! So creative!!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your antlers look so realistic! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fabulous, I would be very pleased with one and wear it with pride.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Nora! Great idea and great fostering of other items to shape for other necklaces; arrows, hearts, tree twigs oh my!!!

    Thanks for loving the 99¢ sandals. Oh and I am so glad you are familiar with Tina, too.

    I love your hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks fantastic! Seriously, I sooooo love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a jeweler and THIS is the most amazing DIY jewelry I have ever seen! You have talent, girl! Love every single piece! Your family and friends are soo gonna adore them. ♥

    ♥, Jo | www.STYLEAT30.com
    Fashion | Food | Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. i know i already said it on instagram but you are rock'in that hair! this is a cool DIY, although i think it's safe to say my antlers would probably look nothing like yours if i tried this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is gorgeous! Loving your hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is absolutely adorable, but looks way beyond my skill level - you made those antlers so well!! perfect gift for just about anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is AMAZING! I haven't worked with clay in so long, what a good idea! I may make a few of these to hang instead of wear!
    xx, Emily
    shell chic'd

    ReplyDelete