Wednesday, November 13, 2013

outfit of the day(bird): getting older




sweater~ b. (a resale shop)
shirt~ Urban Outfitters
necklace~ gift
jeans~ Levis
shoes~ BCBGeneration

as i mentioned yesterday, my birthday is next week. i love birthdays. i am not one of those people who dreads getting older. i have actually always liked getting older. turning twenty didn't freak me out, nor did turning thirty. and i think i'll be cool with forty. i have never lied about my age and i never will. getting older is fine by me and definitely better than the alternative! but a lot of things lately have been reminding me that i am definitely not the youngest gal on the block anymore. not that i think i am old, by any means. i will be 34-years old on tuesday, not ninety. but i have realized that now, when i look at a celebrity entertainment site or a gossip magazine, i no longer recognize many most of the celebrities. when i heard they were remaking the movie, annie, i was extremely irritated. why mess with a classic? and cameron diaz as miss hannigan? no. not okay. most a lot of the items on my christmas wishlist are practical and many of them are kitchen items (how did i make it this far in life without a pastry brush?) i will never ever stop wearing high heels, but i have found myself wearing more flats and comfortable footwear these days. i will always enjoy a night out with friends, but i get super excited when i realize that we have no plans for the weekend. i can no longer drink more than two drinks without waking up with a headache. i no longer get carded. and just yesterday in yoga i realized there is something funny going on with my right knee. that's right. i am experiencing joint pain. soon i'll be able to tell if it's about to rain without looking out the window. i'll just feel it in my bones. these things, along with the wrinkles and grey hairs popping up here and there (okay, let's be honest; if i didn't dye my hair i would be very grey), all tell me i am getting older. but i still feel like i am twenty-five at heart. it's just when i look in the mirror, or stretch a certain way in yoga, or don't get carded, or covet that amazing mixer i just saw at target, or wonder what moisturizer cate blanchet uses and if i can afford it (i can't), that i realize i am not. and that is okay! i love my life and all that i have been blessed with and hope for many many more years, even if that means many many more wrinkles!

xoxo, nora bird

21 comments:

  1. The most beautiful faces are those with their joys and sorrows painted in every line.

    Your outfit is gorgeous but your hair? That is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting older isn't all that bad. I am definitely more comfortable in my own skin in my mid 30s than I ever was in my 20s. But those darn pesky gray hairs just keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude and this is a very cute post. I am saying almost the exact same thing daily and I am WAY older. "age in is your mind, not your body" is what my Mom always said and I think she learned that from her Dad. But get this; my Mom lied about her age until she was 75 then she started bragging about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to you in advance! :D And whatttt?! You are 34?! I think it's the positive attitude that makes you look so young!

    Btw love the outfit. THe sweater look so comfy.


    Google + / Twitter / Bloglovin / Check out BASI


    Cassandra | Backtofive
    http://backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're heart-age is all that matters anyway :-)

    I love how you wore the cropped sweater over a longer shirt. I usually avoid them because I have a belly but I may be able to pull it off this way.

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're only as old as you feel! I am a couple of years behind you - I'll be 32 at the end of this month but I feel much the same about all the things you said - especially not recognizing celebrities anymore! And being excited over not having weekend plans - I love those moments!

    I love the sweater over the shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here here sister! I don't ever think getting older is a bad thing (not that 34 is old at all! I'm 31!), I think it's beautiful! But being pregnant at 31 is a LOT different and a constant reminder of how my body is changing. This pregnancy has been super hard on me and every time I talk about super nausea or back pain or something I always hear about how "well you're not as young as you were last time you were pregnant"--which is true. Because the last time I was pregnant I was 24. But nonetheless, you realize that your body does actually change, even if your mindset doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy early birthday! i agree with you on lots of those things i'd rather do! and i love that sweater and those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way about the Annie reboot - NO! I love the slouchy sweater and those shoes - it's like they defy the laws of physics! I'm a weirdo and get excited every time I get a grey hair - they're like highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute layered look!! Happy almost birthday!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm 43 and yeah, noticing all those things you mentioned for sure! I've been letting my gray hair grow in and I had to get glasses this year, so I'm definitely starting to look my age too. I think what I've noticed the most is no longer getting those second glances from younger men. Fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting older doesn't scare me either! I think you look fantastic and much younger than you are! :) I didn't know they were remaking Annie, crazy!
    Love the way you layered your outfit! Very chic!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a beautiful post - you make growing older sound so... graceful. i suppose i feel a little bit similar, i'm kind of an old soul, and each year i feel myself growing a little more... me. i still don't have a pastry brush, so you're not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. you''re beautiful nora bird! unlike you i cried the day i turned 18. who does that? me. i didn't want to be an adult. boo hoo woo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore those super-cute shoes! Happy birthday--in advance! To me, life has only grown sweeter as I've grown older. Next May, I'll celebrate my 52nd and I'm more than fine with that! :) Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so the same way about age. It's just a number! I'll be 35 next year... so it's all good! Lurv your shoes! And am jealous that you can rock that cute cropped sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really adore thoese shoes. Happy birthday in advance.you are as old as you feel inside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely post dear.
    love your outfit.
    would u like to follow each other?

    kisses
    http://keepitstylishandsexy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I relish nights in. If I get to bed at 9 pm i am over joyed. I am clearly happy getting older too, though I wouldn't say no to a night of karaoke with you gals!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still feel young although I am 36, I mean 46. I guess doing what you love and loving what you do is important to keeping your youth. We are not getting older, we are getting better...boom!! Dawn suitcase vignettes.

    ReplyDelete