Friday, October 25, 2013

bird seed: greek nachos with roasted red pepper salsa


earlier this week, i was at the gym, working out on the elliptical. as usual, i was half watching live! with kelly and michael (it was a boring episode. ted danson was the main guest. snooze fest!) while also mentally going through the contents on my fridge and pantry to decide what to make for dinner. the elliptical is where i have my best dinner ideas. probably because i am always starving! my mom had recently brought over a big block of feta cheese and i knew i wanted to use that. i also had olives, tomatoes, chickpeas, mozzarella, and fake chicken. i guess i was going greek! i remembered i had some chips left over from my mom's birthday dinner and my mind immediately went to nachos (obviously). greek nachos! i emailed my sisters and asked if they thought that sounded good (because i desperately crave their approval). they did. megan's only suggestion was that i use pita chips instead of regular nacho chips (duh! brilliant!), so on the way home from the gym the kids and i picked some up. i was excited for dinner!

now, when i cook, i really don't measure ingredients, so i can't give exact details. i cooked up the quorn chick'n (you can obviously sub any kind of meat/protein that you like) in some olive oil with a little red onion, some chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. while that was cooking, i diced up some cherry tomatoes, opened a can of olives (i used regular black olives, but kalamata would have been awesome), a can of chickpeas, and sliced up the feta. after that, i just layered the olives, tomates, beans, chik'n, feta, and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella atop the chips (i used a bag of amy's multi-grain pita chips) and baked the nachos for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

while that was cooking, i realized i would need a salsa of some sort. i had a jar of roasted red and yellow peppers and that sounded great! i added about half the jar (probably about one whole pepper), fresh garlic, some salt, pepper, and lemon juice into my blender. as that blended, i slowly added olive oil until i got the consistency i was looking for. now i had salsa! i covered it and put it in the fridge until we were ready to eat.

once the nachos were cooked, dinner was served!



it even got a thumbs up!
okay, so maybe i told them to do that. but they really did enjoy the nachos!

have you ever made a non-traditional nacho? do tell!

happy friday!
xoxo, nora bird

18 comments:

  1. Those sound so awesome! I've done pizza nachos, but not Greek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't yet, but might have to try this one. Sounds like you cook like I do, improvising as you go. :) Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm these look absolutely delicious! Nachos for dinner are always a win in my book :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum!! those sound delicious! and i'm impressed at your cooking skills. i have maybe made up a recipe once and it wasn't something to brag about :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank ya Nora! You know you or Megan could link up on my Fashion item Friday with one of your single posts of the week days, ya know. The MORE THE MERRIER! That would rock my world, ya know.

    THANK YOU FOR YOUR NICE COMPLIMENT. I love that dress. It was only $8 on clearance rack of 80% off. I didn't even try it on. I just knew it needed to be mine. $8? yes. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! That sounds delicious - they have a similar kind of nachos on the menu at Rye Delicatessen and we had them not too long ago. It's fun to change up stuff like that every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm... they look yummy!
    I haven't made too many non-traditional nachos, but I did have some Naan-chos made with naan bread. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG OMG!! These look so good! I may have to try this next week! I have some salsa that I have been wanting to use!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Perfect for game day... Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy
    My brother's xwife is greek. Her mom was the best cook
    I miss her cooking
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww.. she's a little cutie! I'm jealous of her eating your Greek nachos right now ;P

    ♥, www.Styleat30.com
    Fashion | Food | Travel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh that sounds so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow these look amazing!
    Mia
    x
    www.prettyeclectic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have my best dinner ideas on the treadmill, so we're pretty similar :) those greek nachos look so good - want to stick my hand through the screen and have a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. those sound delish! i'd give them 2 thumbs up too!

    ReplyDelete