Friday, October 11, 2013

bird seed: baked spaghetti squash and cheese


i have been on a huge squash kick lately. there are so many different varieties, it's delicious, healthy, and can make a multitude of delicious meals! butternut squash soup, roasted delicata squash salad, and baked spaghetti squash and cheese are just a few of the dishes i have made lately. today i am going to share the recipe for the spaghetti squash and cheese. it is a delicious, comforting, cheesy meal, like mac-n-cheese, but you just swap the pasta with spaghetti squash! i also added a ton of spinach to make it even healthier! it turned out super yummy.

here's what you'll need:
5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (i used one large squash)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup flour
2 cups skim milk
1 cup vegetable broth
8 oz cheddar cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach
1/8 cup grated parmesan

preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
cut your squash in half and remove the seeds. place the squash on a baking sheet and cook until tender. this will take about an hour. once your squash is cool enough to handle, separate the strands of squash with a fork and set aside.

heat your butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. add the onions and cook for a couple of minutes.

then add the flour and reduce the heat to low. stir continuously for about 3 minutes. add the milk and veggie broth, raise the heat back to medium, and whisk continuously. bring the milk/broth mixture to a boil. once it becomes thick, season salt and pepper, and remove from heat. mix in the cheese and whisk until it is melted.

add the spaghetti squash and spinach to the cheese mixture and stir. you can add more salt and pepper here if you like. then pour everything into a baking dish and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.

bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, until golden.

then all you have to do is enjoy! bon appetit!
do you have any favorite squash recipes?

happy friday! have a great weekend!
xoxo, nora bird

18 comments:

  1. Ooh, I absolutely fell in love with squash when I was in Africa this year. I never thought about it much before, but I'm excited to try this recipe out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't cooked with spaghetti squash before but this looks delicious! You can never have too much cheese :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a huge fan of squash, but i usually just top it with marinara -- thanks for providing an alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That looks amazing! I have yet to use squash as an spaghetti alternative. I must give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were just talking about spaghetti squash the other night as a low carb alternative for me to enjoy italian. I might have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never made spaghette squash but have always wanted too! this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhhhh!! You guys and your squashing tendencies. Between your blog and Instagram account (lookin' at you @mrsbeyers), you continue to tempt me with its deliciousness. Heyyyyy....completely unrelated, but would you ladies ever be interested in teaching some of style skills to myself and a few blogger friends? I think it would be fun to learn some tips and tricks of dressing cute. We could make it an event and then all blog about it. Do you charge for such services?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love squash! I had some squash soup the other day from Panera that was sweet. I disliked it. I like more savory flavors. I'm definitely going to have to make my own!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your dish turned out well, it looks rich and delicious! You've just inspired a craving for squash soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE spaghetti squash!!! This recipe looks SO yummy!!! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love squash and mac and cheese, so this sounds right up my alley. And so cozy for fall! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just put some squash on some homemade pizza, and it was really good! I loved going to the Farmer's Market and getting some. This baked spaghetti looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good! Yum!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious!!! I love eating squash! (especially in the fall)

    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious, i'm a sucker for melted cheese hehe

    iwantyourkittens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete