Monday, September 30, 2013

outfit of the day(bird): comfort zone




dress, necklace ~ H&M
rings ~ F21, local artist
shoes ~ thrifted

the night before we did the fashion show, we were told that we would be mc-ing from atop the runway. there was more than one reason why this freaked me out. one, i am terrified of public speaking. once i am doing it, i'm fine, but thinking about it beforehand makes me want to vomit. secondly, the outfit i had planned on wearing was a flouncy and short skirt. very flouncy and very short. so what are two women to do when they are told plans change? well, shop of course. nora and i ran all over southdale to find new outfits to wear, thinking we would be four feet over the whole audience.

i was shopping on pure adrenaline, and decided to get this dress. it is not at all in my comfort zone. one, it's very short. two, it's very tight. three, it's very short and very tight. i was not at all comfortable. i am the person who hates tight clothes around my belly. even before i had kids, i wasn't comfortable with it, and now, even more so.

so what is a woman to do who feels uncomfortable in her short and tight dress? spanx, of course.

in the end, my nerves for the show overrode any fear i had of showing a little belly bulge, or showing off too much leg in a short dress. i stopped caring, and started having fun instead. oh, and the last minute decision to not make us stand on the runway worked in my favor, too. 

xo,
megan bird

29 comments:

  1. You look fabulous!!! Spanx are the best aren't they? I own several pairs. H&M, is wonderful as well, tho'... Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing!! No need to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look great!! i get nervous too! i used to not be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous! I found this dress in blue at a thrift store earlier in the year. I've been too nervous to wear it by itself, but I love it all layered up in the winter with leggings, boots, and a sweater!

    Jess - J's Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one hot mama! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look fantastic! And I bet you two were amazing at the event. :) And Spanx is the best ever invention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing in that dress, it fits you like a glove! Public speaking and I do not mix.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    PayPal Cash Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you look quite fantastic honestly, but I understand what you mean! I am not a fan of things that hug too tight either, I felt that way before getting pregnant and I'm sure I'll feel the same after. But you do look pretty hot there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always kind of freak about shorter skirts too for some reason, even though I don't mind short shorts at all! I think you look fantastic and black always helps with the tightness factor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, you are lookin goooooooood in that LBD. Rock it because you are a foxy mama!!! Not, but really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Megan, I have been on the hunt for a necklace like yours. Thanks for letting me know I can get one at H&M or probably Forever 21, too. Yay! Very pretty ensemble!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great! It sounds like it was a wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your look!

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad that you picked this, you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look amazing!!!
    Jess
    www.jesscauseblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. As weird as it sounds, if I'm going to wear something that I feel is too short, I prefer too short and too tight over too short and flouncy... at least if it's tight you know it's not going anywhere! Regardless, you look bangin' in this dress, I'm glad the event went well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very leggy!

    I love the necklace and the shoes even elongate your legs further.

    I'm the same way with public speaking.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. i need that necklace and those shoes PRONTO!!
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may be out of your comfort zone but you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you had fun! And seriously, you look AH-mazing in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you had fun! And seriously, you look AH-mazing in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. megan, good for you, for going out of your comfort zone, because you look dynamite in that little black dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. it looks great on you though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look fabulous!! This may be out of your comfort zone, but you look fantastic!!

    Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good thing your nerves eventually went away because you look AMAZING. Hello bombshell! (Side note: I neeeeed these shoes in my life.)

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Are you joking? You look smoking hot! Serious sexy, and the booties are just a perfect touch to keep it from being OVERLY sexy. I say perfect.
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. the dress looks good!!! I like the long necklace you paired with it too. i'm glad you had a fun night despite venturing out of your comfort zone :)

    ReplyDelete