Friday, September 27, 2013

bird seed: glazed pumpkin cookies


it may still feel like summer in minnesota (yay!) but the other day i had a hankering to make something pumpkin-y and delicious that tasted like fall. pumpkin pie is my husband's specialty, so i wasn't going to mess around with that. and i have never been good at the fruit breads. for some reason, mine never turn out that great. (any tips on this would be awesome!) cookies are kind of my go-to when it comes to baking, so that's what i went to. i made soft pumpkin cookies with a powdered sugar glaze and they were so yummy! and easy, which is obviously a huge bonus.

here's what you'll need:
for the cookies:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup pumpkin puree*
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

for the glaze:
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

directions:
preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your baking sheets.
combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
beat the sugar and butter in a larger bowl until well blended.
beat in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
gradually beat in the flour mixture.
drop rounded tablespoons onto your prepared baking sheets.
bake for 15-18 minutes, until the edges are firm.
cool on baking racks.

while the cookies are baking, make the glaze. sift two cups of powdered sugar (i just used a wire strainer) into a bowl. add the milk, butter, and vanilla and mix until smooth.

once the cookies have slightly cooled, drizzle the glaze on top! then eat. and that's it! easy as pie cookies!


someone was a bit excited to see these on the counter when she woke up from her nap! (check out that bedhead!)


 bon appetit!

xoxo, nora bird

*if you look closely at the photo of the ingredients, you will notice that i have a can of pumpkin pie mix rather than pumpkin puree. this is what happens when you send your husband to the store for pumpkin puree. pumpkin pie mix has added sugar and spices (for those people who can't just add their own???), but it still worked out okay! next time i make these cookies, though, i will do the shopping!

20 comments:

  1. Mmm these look delicious! I love any kind of pumpkin baked goods. I'm definitely pinning the recipe! Have a great weekend :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Sept. Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore anything pumpkin! These look fabulous!!! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks better than anything at glam doll donuts - delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm certainly that girl who goes crazy for everything pumpkin this time of year so I'm going to be jumping into this recipe soon, I'm sure! They look like a hit from your little's face! Happy Weekend!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, these look crazy delicious! And I am allowed a three inch cookie on my little GD diet. And pumpkin is allowed. So I just might be making these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last night. Tis the season! These look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look so tasty! now i'm inspired to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, yum! I don't cook but I do bake occasionally. This is one I will bake cuz we have pumpkins in our garden. Wha Hoo!

    Mimi is so cute. What a happy girl.

    I did the asymmetrical cut, Nora. See it? Megan says it's like Eva's. Then she suggested the Pixie eventually like yours. Nope, I did the Pixie once (17-15 or so years ago when my Mom was still alive, and she told me it was "UGLY". I think that falls into the category of -You Always Hurt the One You Love - type of a comment. Since I'm doing the cutting now, I can maintain the asymmetrical all I want. I want the long side just a bit longer. HUGS!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love pumpkin anytime, but especially this time of year
    Made skinny mini pumpkin muffins just the other day
    Will have to try out this recipe now
    Have a great weekend
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy. This sounds delicious especially with a latte from Starbucks haha. She is adorable.

    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy! The fall baking bug hasn't bit yet, but these might be just the thing to kick it off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet they're delicious. When a child smiles like that they ARE.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so amazing! I have never had pumpkin cookies before, but these look so good! I will have to make a batch to bring over to my parents! Thanks for posting this!

    ps-I wish I could look that adorable with bedhead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaaah! I cannot wait to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious!!!!

    XO,
    http://sororitygirlintherealworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pinning for sure! I've been craving something pumpkin-y and the icing on this looks amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so hungry right now, I want one, this looks incredibly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. did someone say pumpkin? because i'm in!!!

    ReplyDelete