Monday, August 12, 2013

megan bird's wedding: part 2

i wish i could just play you all a video of our wedding. it was so amazing to me. i am sure that every bride thinks her wedding was amazing, but i truly loved ours. i think it was a true testament that even all of the kids remained quiet and attent during our ceremony. here are a few things i loved about it:
~ when chris first saw me, he said, "pink, huh? i should have known. you look like a princess."
~ we all walked down the aisle to "the book of love" by peter gabriel (if you don't know this song, look it up...it's beautiful). chris had actually learned it to propose to me, and then chickened out and didn't sing/play it. so we decided it would be appropriate for the wedding walk.
~ before the ceremony started, we had secretly planned for a few of our braver friends to do a "flash mob" sort of song. they sang "home" by edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros. (again, another great song to know.) nora's husband did the whistling part to start with, and the look on nora's face was priceless. she had no idea what he was doing. even chris and i sang the last part to each other. of course i started crying during my part...but i knew i would.
~ my mom read the book "when you are happy" for our reading. it's a book we read to our kids before bed many nights. if you have kids in your life, this book is a must buy.
~ our beautiful singer sang "the story" by brandi carlile. again, look it up if you don't know it.
~ chris and i wrote our own vows. he was nervous about his, but i wouldn't let him read them to me before the wedding. i wanted our wedding to be the first time i heard them.
~ chris and i made the backdrop for our ceremony. we spent hours tearing and tying vintage sheets to a rope. i think it turned out beautifully.
~ after we were married, instead of a traditional song, we played "pump it" by the black eyed peas. we hooted and hollered and danced back down the aisle.
~ our wedding party was just family. henry and eva were the best man and maid of honor, and my four sisters and chris' brother rounded out the party.

~ i have the most beautiful sisters in the world


~ it had rained for a good week before our wedding. that worried me in and of itself because everything was planned for outdoors. the big issue of the actual day, though, was getting down the "aisle". it was a very steep dirt hill, and we were all wearing 5" heels. we practiced beforehand, but didn't want any mishaps, so we chose a new way to get to the altar. it all worked out in the end.


 ~ our first dance was "good hearted woman" by willie nelson. it is an appropriate song for us! ;) in the middle of the dance, we pulled the kids in to dance with us. that was also appropriate.


~ i made all the bouquets myself.
~ my mother-in-law lent me a turquoise ring that belonged to chris' grandmother. it was my borrowed and blue. i loved it.
~ while setting up the barn for the ceremony, chris hit his face with a chair. the scar on his lip will always remind me of our wedding day!
~ instead of a speech, my sisters took video of our whole family singing "our song" by elton john and blended it together. they played it on the big barn wall and it was both funny and touching.
~it was a good day







i will leave you with my vows. i cried most of the way through them.

i have watched and cried at every romantic comedy i have ever watched. i grew up wanting that love story. i wanted fate to bring me my prince charming. we would bump into each other at a book store, and spend the whole day together laughing and walking through green parks in the sunshine. i wanted a man who would make me dinner, maybe get a little flour on his nose while doing so, and sweep me off my feet while carly simon sang in the background (chris started laughing here).

and then i read a quote that said,
"lovers don't finally meet somewhere, they're in each other all along."

and i realized that is you and me. you've always been the one, you've always been in my heart - it just took a little bit longer for you to be in my life. and now i never want that to change. you are better than any man of my dreams because you are real, and i love you more than my heart can hold.

to see (even) more pictures of our wedding, feel free to check out part one.

xo,
megan bird

53 comments:

  1. Fab pics. You look lovely and I adore the pink dress! I will definitely check that Peter Gabriel song out. Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am all teary eyed just looking and reading this. What a magical day for you and your family. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow one of the prettiest weddings ive seen...I LOVE UR PINK DRESS! WOW WOW WOW!

    XO Meghan
    citrusrefreshingfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this is "non traditional" seriously. It is unique and absolutely gorgeous. I'm engaged and when I get married, I want a red dress. :) I love the pictures and the vows. What a magical day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You looked so beautiful in your pink dress! If I were you, I'd totally wear it again...and again :) Your vows were the sweetest! We didn't write our own vows because I was terrified I'd be a blubbering mess :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an amazing wedding Megan! You look so radiant and wonderful in pink - I LOVE all of your music choices, The Book of Love is a gorgeous song and Peter Gabriel's version is amazing. And The Story and Home are perfect choices too! And your vows...so sweet! Congrats again and hold these memories close to your heart now and always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I started tearing up reading your vows. SO beautifully said. And your day was absolutely perfect...every detail was amazing. And LOVE the pink dress :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful wedding! That pink dress seems so fitting for you. Congratulations again! :)

    -CJ
    www.carleajane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw I love seeing your wedding story! Your backdrop was beautiful--I can appreciate the time it probably took to make it! And, of course, you are a beautiful bride. I love that you went with pink for sure. Your sisters are all beautiful--it's nice to see a photo of all of you together! And your vows made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Loved being there on the day to celebrate with you. Such an amazing wedding for an amazing family. You have such wonderful people in your life and I'm glad that I got to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything about this is so beautiful. I love your vows and your music choices! What amazing memories you'll have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! You look so beautiful! I love that you wore pink. :)

    Lauren
    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog! What a beautiful wedding you had! I love that you are in pink and your bridesmaids are in white. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful, beautiful day. These photos are gorgeous - and you really do look like a princess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful wedding! Love that you played "Pump it" after the ceremony. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how unique your wedding was! I think it's so great when the couple puts their personality into every detail.

    Kaitlin
    www.teaandsequins.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. these pictures are so amazing!! you look gorgeous! and everything about it just fits you perfectly! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwww so fun! You looked so so so gorgeous! :) And I love all the details in the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like such a beautiful, unique wedding! You were a gorgeous bride! Congrats! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Megan! What a pretty wedding!!! You looked amazing and I love tour dress :). I love the background of your vows number four is certainly my favorite pictures... and jeeze... you got me teary eyed just reading about your first dance! It sounds like it was a beautiful day! :)

    Sara :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your vows are so beautiful. The whole wedding looks amazing, your dress is perfection (and pink, I'm so freaking jealous.) You are fabulous in every way. Congrats to you both!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow... what a sweet day. Your vows are adorable. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh STOP IT. Now I have to redo my makeup! What a beautiful wedding Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh! Oh! I loved it all. Thank you. Favorite part: The pics of you and your sisters posing, regular, hilarious and snob pots. LOL and I LOVELOVELOVE the photo of you and Chris with the blue ring on his shoulder. You are ravishingly beautiful in it, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the BEST wedding dress ever!!! I am not lying!! And so unconventional!! You rock and having your bridesmaids wear white...another high five. You wedding truly looks like a fairytale....your style and spunk are one in a million!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay! This looks amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  27. such fun pics
    I am still enamored by your dress
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a gorgeous wedding!! Congratulations!! I love the vows!! Wishing you and your family many happy years and all the love that your hearts can hold :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats. You look amazing. Glad your day was so special.

    Agi :)

    Vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love how you chose pink for your dress and white for the bridesmaids! Totally awesome. :-) Congratulations.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  31. ..oh!..So beautiful!! ...and Yes..you do look like a princess in your pink gown...just ethereal!

    loving your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Absolutely stunning! Everything about your wedding was perfection!

    You looked incredible! I love you in that pink dress! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. P.S. your vows - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful vows! The pink dress suits you so well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. you looked absolutely amazing. i love pink wedding gowns. i love all of the pictures. your bridesmaids looked so cute and i love their bouquets. the personal touches were so beautiful. it was a fabulous day.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are so beautiful! The wedding was so personal and lovely. Yes, I was praying for dry weather as June was super rainy! I cried reading this whole post and the music was perfect. We wrote our vows and after 19 years still working on them. Your hard work paid off and your famies are beautiful too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are stunning! So many adorable, personal touches to the whole event, and your vows just chocked me up a little. Congrats to you, your hubs and your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You were a beautiful bride! I love that you wore pink! Such a gorgeous wedding :)

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh man, this sounds kinda weird but I actually teared up... You were a stunning bride and even in pictures you can feel the love. congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds like you had an amazing wedding day! Fun and meaningful and with lots of great memories. Congrats!!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow Megan that's absolutely beautiful - the wedding, your dress, the photos, your sisters, the family, the vows... everything! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These photos are so beautiful, and I absolutely love your vows. Wow. Congrats!
    -Carylee
    morepom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh gosh, this was just a beautiful post. Congrats! Everyone looks so happy :)

    xx.
    fashion and tea

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congrats! What beautiful wedding photos! Thank you for sharing your special day with us.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. BAWLING OVER HERE! Seriously, what a beautiful wedding! I love all of the details and the beautiful dresses and the smiles! What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh thank you for sharing these wonderful photos! I loved seeing them and your happy smile! I'll look up that kids' book for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  47. how completely wonderful! you thought through every detail with symbolism, fun, and what was best for you. plus you showed of your awesome creativity. lovely photos too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your vows <3
    That dress is gorgeous, I love that you wore pink! Your wedding was seriously perfect down to every detail. I love the altar backdrop you made and your pretty sisters in their mismatched white dresses :) What a beautiful, magical day!
    THanks for sharing!!
    Jessi
    http://haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  49. P E R F E C T I O N...I WANT TO GET MARRIED AGAIN NOW. xo

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh how utterl y beautiful! What s beautiful wedding!! You look gorgeous!!!! And what on earth was Nora laughing at in the shoe practice shot?!

    ReplyDelete