Thursday, August 15, 2013

happy birthday, baby ben!

here is proof that ben was once teeny tiny, if only for a few weeks days! i cannot believe this was one-year ago! time has flown by. a year from yesterday, i invited my entire family over for a dinner of thai food. i was one day overdue and was hoping the spicy food would induce labor. i was kind of hoping it would happen after the entire family had all gone home, but ben didn't want to wait. i started having contractions before i had even finished my first plate of food. i then went into complete and utter denial. nope, i am not in labor. no worries, everyone! please, go about your meals. nothing to see here! things progressed rapidly. about an hour or two later (and after megan had paid the extra $0.99 to upgrade the contraction timer app for her phone after we had run out of free trials) and me crying (from pain, yes, but mostly because i was completely freaking out that i was going to have another baby very very soon), jim and i were on our way to the hospital. (i won't tell you the part about how i was trying to find jim to tell him what was happening only to look outside and see him and my dad obliviously enjoying (very strong) martinis on the back patio. and i won't tell you how that annoyed me to no end. no, i won't tell you that part.)
things slowed down considerably once we got to the hospital (of course!) and i won't go into the full birth story (maybe some day, but not today.) but by 12:16 pm the next day we had the most handsome, 7lb 8oz, 21" baby boy! and we named him ben. and here we are, already one-year later!
happy happy happy first birthday, baby ben! you changed our lives, you completed our family, you brighten our days, and we love you so so so much! thank you for always treating me to your beautiful smile and for never failing to make me laugh, even on the toughest of days. i love you!











xoxo, nora bird

22 comments:

  1. What a fast year that was! Happy birthday Ben!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seems like such a jolly baby - he always has the greatest smile! Happy birthday to Ben.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Ben! I hope you have a great day and keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! Happy Birthday to Ben. They do grow up so fast. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, baby Ben!!! Big hug and kisses to you, handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Ben! I can't believe he's a year old already...time flies!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! Cuteness overload! Happy birthday to Ben!

    Lauren
    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness happy birthday to Ben! I remember doing this with my daughter (my youngest), we tried EVERYTHING to get her to come out (walking, baths, spicy food, etc.) and while my boys before her were all early and very quick labors that little pumpkin was born on her due date after 24 hours of labor! I looooooove the last photo of Ben. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's adorable. Happy birthday little guy!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWWW Happy Birthday to Ben! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Ben great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  12. Then I'm not going to tell you about the time I was 3 days overdue and literally slapped a beer out of my husband's hand. I think I yelled something like, "You have to keep sharp!" Ah, memories. . .

    Ben is adorable. I love the newborn photos, it's so amazing how much they change in that first year isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww, this was great! I loved hearing how your day went. I think all moms remember every detail. My mom still remembers the day before, during and after which I was born. They grow so fast. It's amazing its only been a year. Such a beautiful baby. More memories to come.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a happy + sweet little guy! Happy birthday, Ben! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy Birthday, Ben :) What a sweet little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That last picture is so dang cuuuuuuuutttteeee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok now silly question, but is that Megan holding Ben with Megan's kid's on each side or is that another auntie? It doesn't look like Megan, but I think it is?

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is adorable, little or big! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's been a year already? I feel like I as just reading about your pregnancy and maternity style. seriously a year? time flies.

    that last pic? too precious for words :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How adorable!! A year already?? Say what??
    Enjoy the times, because whew, they grow up fast!!:)

    ReplyDelete