Tuesday, July 23, 2013

outfit of the day(bird): sushi




t-shirt ~ Marshalls
pants ~ H&M
shoes ~ Jessica Simpson, from sister
necklace ~ vintage, thrifted
earrings ~ F21

when i was pregnant with henry, but not far enough along that we were telling everyone, our very good friends invited us for dinner. it was a great dinner party that included us all making our own sushi and eating as much as we could. 
in total, there were six people at the party, and i was the only one who was a vegetarian. my friend, being the great hostess that she is, made sure to buy me plenty of options to make my own sushi ~ and when i say plenty of options, i'm not joking. there was a bag full of fresh vegetables and spices, and it was so kind of her to buy it all just for me that i ended up making more than my fair share of sushi. i probably ended up making over 20 rolls. i assumed while i was making them that at least a few other people would share.
but i was wrong. everyone else made their own delicious rolls, and with the eel and salmon and tuna that they were all using, no one really wanted my shredded carrot rolls.
so i started eating...and kept eating. i didn't want to be rude, so i just kept eating. i know i had to stop before i ate all 20, but i also know i ate way more than i should have. 
not only did i eat too much, but i was also pregnant, with an aversion to certain foods. and while the sushi was quite delicious, my pregnant self developed the worst aversion to sushi for the remaining 30 weeks of my pregnancy. in fact, any time someone would even talk about sushi, my mouth would start to water and my gag reflex kicked in. 
i never did tell my friend about this. she was so kind to buy all that food just for me, and after all, it wasn't her fault that i ate close to 20 rolls. nevertheless, i felt bad and never told her. i can eat sushi again now, and in fact i think i have gone to a few great japanese restaurants with her since henry was born. 
moral of the story...be polite at a dinner party, but not so stupidly polite that you make yourself sick!

xo,
megan bird

28 comments:

  1. Great outfit, love your jeans honey. Would you like to follow each other?
    Latest look:http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/2013/07/red-stripes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I can't do sushi vegetarian or otherwise. I ate cottage cheese when pregnant with Kayla and can't touch the stuff anymore.

    Love these pants and how you paired them with the red heels and white tee. Super stylish lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok dying over those pants! AMAZING!

    XO Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is too funny! Thankfully I haven't had many food aversions since I have been pregnant. And I love sushi and I know there is sushi I can have but I haven't in a while and now I want some!

    LOVE the printed pants. They look great with the red heels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat fish so I could've helped you eat those veggie rolls :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Forever 21 Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Aw that was awful nice of you! I am vegetarian too (both from long ago and again recently), but I have never been big on fish/seafood. I would've done the same thing I think!

    I really REALLY love your outfit today! The simplicity of the white tee but fierceness of the leopard pants and red heels are a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those pants and HEELS! SO GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Megan, I am sort of a vegetarian. I am more a vegan actually but I keep that info off my blog. I don't do dairy, but I have eggs and some fish or chicken (like once a week). I don't do beef or pork meats. Yuk. I would have loved your veggie sushi rolls. Did you have cucumbers in them? Even my doggie is a vegan, too. LOL Thanks, you two, for your nice words to me about my latest thrifty outfit! (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan, adorable outfit; pants and shoes esp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Oh, sushi.
    Look at you, saucy red shoes and animal print pants! Love it!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. those pants are KILLER! absolutely love how you styled them!
    & i still can't eat too many sugar cookies (I spend like 2 or 3 days stuffing my face with only sugar cookies back when i was 9 or 10 and it took me forever to even look at one ha!)
    xx Corinne
    cateyesandthighhighs.blogspot.comC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, you ate 20 rolls? Wow, I'd be sick of nori and rice too, haha.

    You look great in those pants, I like how you casual'd them out by rolling them and wearing them with a tee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, the moral of your story: so true! I think a sushi party would be so fun otherwise. I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this outfit and I need to have a sushi party!!!

    XO,
    http://sororitygirlintherealworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Très jolie tenue dans l'air de temps !

    ReplyDelete
  16. C and I ordered a sushi platter (prob ~40 pieces). She had one roll and decided she didn't like sushi. I continued to eat the whole platter. Every. Piece. Sometimes you just take one for the team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love suchi, when I was pregnant I gagged over the thought of my two favorite "foods," coffee and I've cream. Luckily my aversion went away after having Grant.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are some amazing pants! LURV them!
    I just ate a lot when pregnant... and maybe for quite awhile AFTER I was no longer pregnant...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoah these pants are so fun! And of course perfect with a red heel =)
    Inge
    This Ever Evolving Life

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pants and I am also loving that necklace
    The night I found out I was pregnant I went to a rehearsal dinner and they served squab. I thought I was going to loose my lunch right there at the table!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I love those pants so much.

    Hahaha the first thing this reminded me of is college me and vodka. I did all that $10 for a gallon nonsense and to this day, even thinking about it makes me gag a little bit. This comment is so classy.

    I'm glad you can eat sushi again. That could have been a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. HAHAHA that's a great story! definitely something to live by. love your pants. they're awesome.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. love your pants, I really want similar ones. I like how you pair them with red pumps.
    http://thirtysomethingchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. funny how things that happen during pregnancy can really affect you. my hubby made bacon at the beginning of my pregnancy and then for the rest of it I could NOT eat bacon. it just grossed me out. I had an aversion to chicken too (sorry to talk about all this meat to a vegetarian!!!). though i'll say post giving birth I could eat it again. loving your printed pants. soooo cute!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I, too, am a vegetarian! :) Love the leopard print alongside the red shoes--stunning look! xo T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. good advice and great leopard pants!

    ReplyDelete