Friday, June 21, 2013

bird.i.y: no-sew placemat clutch

this is probably one of the easiest and least expensive DIYs ever. it cost me less than $10 (and was totally thrifted!), took less than an hour, was no-sew, and i like the final result. all of my requirements for a DIY in one! so, what did i do? i made a clutch out of a placemat and a belt. yep, you heard that right. a placemat and a belt. i wanted to make mine a little bit funky and a lot bit colorful, so i found the loudest placemat and belt that the thrift store had to offer and went from there. you can obviously make yours to your liking depending on the items you choose!
here is what you will need:
~ a placemat
~ a belt
~ glue (fabric or craft glue would be best. i used what i had, which was a glue gun.)
~ clothespins
~ scissors

to start, fold the placemat, leaving a bit at the top (4-5 inches) that will be the opening flap.

next, glue down the sides of the placemat. then, use the clothespins to hold each side closed until the glue dries.


once the glue is dry, decide the placement of your belt and cut off the excess material. the belt will act as the closure for the purse. you want to make sure not to make it too tight because, eventually, you will want to put stuff in the clutch, right? also, my belt was woven and had many holes. depending on your belt, you may end up cutting off the pre-made holes and will have to punch new ones. for this, you will need some sort of a leather hole punch. luckily, i didn't need one of those because i do not own one!



once that is done, glue the part of the belt that is on the backside of the clutch to the placemat. then place something heavy atop the entire project until the glue dries.



once the glue is dry, you're done! yay! you have a cute, new clutch! now get dressed and take some photos of yourself!


my little sister, kristin bird, told me not to add this last photo because, "you look disgusted. it just doesn't look like you really like your new clutch." then, megan bird sent me a link to this, which made me laugh and laugh, because it is so true for me. of course, i had to share the photo. and no, i am not disgusted by my new clutch!

xoxo, nora bird

17 comments:

  1. This is adorable!!!! It sounds so easy to make but looks like it was way harder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is SO cute! i love that placemat and belt!!! and your shoes are SOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cheap, and easy - my kinda craft! It came out so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "no sew". I do not sew, so this seems like a do-able DIY for me! And it turned out so cute - the colors are fun, you could use that with any outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this clutch, it came out so cute. What a great DIY and I love the no-sew part!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such an easy, cute DIY! I love the belt you used with it!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That came out so cute!! I love that it's no-sew for people like me who can't sew :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Zappos Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahahahahahaha! I just saw that video and it's the funniest thing I've seen all week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Um, okay."....Ha Ha that video was funny!

    Anyways, awesome little DIY here. I love the colour choices you made! And you look adorable in all your pics.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally suffer from bitchy resting face, I just didn't know it was a thing.

    Love the clutch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute. But you do look disgusted in that last photo LOL. Just get rid of your bitchy resting face and add a happy face. I know it's easier said than done since I also often find myself with the same problem.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok I was really laughing at the black woman at the counter who was like...ok??? Hysterical. I have anxious resting face...hahaha. Great colors on the clutch...very cute. Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok this DIY turned out SO WELL!! you lucked out at the thrift store, the belt and placemat go so well together. very cool clutch (that you are NOT disgusted with)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea :) It looks easy. I like the color belt you used.
    http://thirtysomethingchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. How CUTE is that clutch?! Love the colors and it looks like it would go with everything :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh bravo! Very nice bag, what a good idea!x

    ReplyDelete