Wednesday, May 22, 2013

curious birds: wedding hair





i do not have perfect hair. you know, the kind where you wash it, air it dry and it looks perfect. nora has that hair, i do not. i don't hate my hair, but it's not perfect. it's very fine, and very soft and smooth. i actually love this about my hair – when i blow it dry, it's pretty shiny. the flip side of this, though, is that it has no texture at all. at.all. i could curl my hair and the curls would be gone an hour later. i have found that the ceramic barrel irons work way better (as an fyi to people with similar hair), but what i have found to work best is not washing my hair.

i do have to wash my bangs more often than the rest of my hair, but that is easy enough. rest of my hair...i usually try to get at least (at least) three days between washes, and i may go longer. there's almost nothing that a little baby powder can't fix. these pictures, it's been five days. i know, that probably sounds really gross to some of you, but it's what works for me.

i actually prefer my hair most on the second and third days. there is just enough texture to allow me to just throw some argan oil on the tips and call it a day. it always looks a little fuller, a little thicker, and in my opinion, a lot better. so here's my question for you...

do i wash my hair the day of the wedding? it's my wedding, so obviously i want shiny and pretty hair. but on the other hand, i want it to hold a shape and a curl, and look full and sexy! i'm sure the woman who is doing my hair will have enough products and gadgets to make my hair have the texture i desire, but would it just make it all easier for her if i didn't wash it? is that gross (i wouldn't go five days)? is that practical? i don't know. i need your advice.

what would you do?

xo,
megan bird
(i tried to think of a good dear abby sign off name, but failed miserably.)
xo,
messy mane from minneapolis?
xo,
minnesota mop top?
xo,
the mini-apple mullet?

24 comments:

  1. Why don't you ask the woman who is doing your hair? I'm assuming she's a pro so she'll understand how to work with your hair.

    A pity they don't still have Dippity-Do, it would solve your hair dilemma. I have really odd hair, it's very fine but I have a LOT of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not odd, I have the same sort of hair as you :) And I have the same problem as Megan- it looks better without frequent washing! Although they say shampoo isn't good for you, since it strips the hair of all its essential oils, which might be why...

      Delete
  2. i wish i could go a day without washing my hair! i am far from a person to ask hair advice from! this dress looks SO good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same type of hair, I think, but I wash mine every day (I know - bad!) because if I don't it just looks super greasy. So I HAD to wash mine day of...but I think if you can go a few days normally...why don't you wash it a day or 2 before? Or ask the woman who's doing it...I know they usually prefer you to not wash it day of anyway. LOVE that gray ensemble with the pink belt...so cute :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful outfit. Great job adding the hot pink belt. It looks great on you!

    If you get a sec, check out my latest post 'Polka Dotting'. I would love to read your thoughts on it.

    Kisses,
    Sofia
    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doooon't wash it! I have different hair than you, but I, too, know what works and what doesn't work for mine. I made the WRONG call for my wedding day, and my hair was flat and meh before we even got to start taking pictures. My two cents: work the camera. Products can give you shine easily, but there's no telling how much they can do for shape with your hair type. Go for hair that will LOOK amazing, even if it's 3-days grubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't wash my hair the day of my wedding - and there was so much spray and pins and all that, in the end I'm glad I didn't, it wouldn't have really helped at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same kind of hair! I would wash it the day before. That way it's still clean but it still has texture and the hair stylist can work with it!
    xx
    http://thescreensiren.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think "they" say that it is easier to style hair that hasn't been washed. I washed my hair on the day I got married anyway, because I didn't want my hair to look dirty in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. None of the pageant ladies wash their hair the day of because it's easier to style. I have coarse hair so I stopped shampooing years ago because it makes my hair puffy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could go that long without washing... I need to do it every day. I say wash it the day before... you like it on the second and third day, so it would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I LURV the peplum dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute look! Oh your hair is JUST like mine! But I was the opposite when it was long, I would go days without washing it (great top-knots when hair is like that, more texture) but I only liked wearing it down the day after I washed it, it felt lighter and would hold curls better. I would ask your stylist what she thinks. Are you doing a trial run on your hair? Maybe don't wash it and see what it looks like and what she says?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no idea what you should do! I have extremely thick hair with a lot of texture, but it also doesn't hold curl well. I think its because I suck at curling my hair lol! I usually don't wash mine before something like that though! Maybe your stylist knows what to do?!

    Also, loving this peplum dress and pink belt! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are wearing it down, I would wash it. I know that when you have an updo, they prefer dirty (day old) hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. does anyone except Jennifer Aniston have perfect hair????
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've heard of that before. nothing to be ashamed of or anything. sometimes hair acts better several days after washing it. a lot of people do that. love your outfit. so pretty!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't wash it! There are products that can enhance shine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My hair is the exact same! I did wash my hair the morning of my wedding and used a diffuser like my stylist told me to do to get as much volume going as my hair is capable of. My curls lasted all day (and night!) although I'm sure there was more product in there than my hair has ever seen before, but I think you can easily get away with not washing your hair the day of!

    Jess - J's Style

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm, that is tricky. My hair is kind of the same, but I can't get away without washing it every other day. It gets so oily :/
    However, I think if you ask the lady doing you're hair, she'll let you know what's better!
    Love your peplum on the dress <3

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute look with the belted peplum! And I have to wash my hair EVERY DAY - it just gets greasy and I definitely am jealous of the gals (ahem Nora) that can wash and go... so lucky!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh cute! Love the peplum! Since you like it on the second day, just wash it the day before the wedding. It won't be gross, but it will hold better! I have the opposite problem, my hair is alllll texture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I say go without washing the day of the wedding. I always like my hair better the second day too, even though I have texture to mine. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The outfit is beautiful and your hair is very pretty! I'd say wash it the morning before.

    ReplyDelete