i have a drawer full of cute t-shirts, and i rarely wear any of them. i went through a phase last year where i decided i was only going to wear cute concert or graphic tees tucked into fun skirts. the problem with that is that i rarely wear t-shirts. the collar and sleeves are never flattering to my shoulders and arms...they cut off at the wrong place and i just don't like them. yet i have a drawer full of cute tees, and i can't seem to get rid of them.
i do, however, wear tank tops all the time...when i work out, when i grocery shop, when i do anything in the summer, i'm usually in a tank. so, i thought to myself, why not make a tank out of one of my tees? again, this is a very doable diy. if you are so inclined, you could even sew the edges for a neater look, but i kind of like the rough look. and i say it's for working out, but as you will see below, i don't follow my own rules.
truly, all you need is a shirt and scissors. (d.i.why is she doing a diy on how to cut sleeves off a shirt?)
1. start with a cute shirt.
2. take a selfie in the bathroom mirror.
3. crop the selfie so no one can tell you aren't wearing any pants.
(i do most of my diys in bed.)
(sometimes i wake up with scraps of fabric stuck to my face.)
(selfies – and pants – are optional)
4. cut the collar off. keep the material for later.
5. fold the shirt in half and cut the sleeves off at the seems.
6. unfold the shirt and cut a half circle of fabric from the back side of the shirt, starting at the shoulder and ending under the armpit.
7. repeat the other side. i used the discarded fabric as a guide so that both sides were fairly even.
8. grab the back of the shirt (where your shoulder blades would be if you were wearing it) and bunch together with your hand.
9. take discarded collar material and wrap around the bunched fabric. tie it each time you circle the bunched fabric. tuck in any loose ends.
hey look, the shirt changed color!! magic.
10. put on shirt and take another selfie. still no pants!!
11. take a backwards selfie. super fancy photo work!
12. work out. or go back to bed and watch a few of the 10 episodes of the voice that you have on your dvr, you choose. either way, you're wearing a cute new tank!!