Friday, May 17, 2013

bird.i.y.: the world's easiest workout tank

i have a drawer full of cute t-shirts, and i rarely wear any of them. i went through a phase last year where i decided i was only going to wear cute concert or graphic tees tucked into fun skirts. the problem with that is that i rarely wear t-shirts. the collar and sleeves are never flattering to my shoulders and arms...they cut off at the wrong place and i just don't like them. yet i have a drawer full of cute tees, and i can't seem to get rid of them.

i do, however, wear tank tops all the time...when i work out, when i grocery shop, when i do anything in the summer, i'm usually in a tank. so, i thought to myself, why not make a tank out of one of my tees? again, this is a very doable diy. if you are so inclined, you could even sew the edges for a neater look, but i kind of like the rough look. and i say it's for working out, but as you will see below, i don't follow my own rules.

truly, all you need is a shirt and scissors. (d.i.why is she doing a diy on how to cut sleeves off a shirt?)

1. start with a cute shirt.
2. take a selfie in the bathroom mirror.
3. crop the selfie so no one can tell you aren't wearing any pants.
(i do most of my diys in bed.)
(sometimes i wake up with scraps of fabric stuck to my face.)
(selfies – and pants – are optional)

4. cut the collar off. keep the material for later.

5. fold the shirt in half and cut the sleeves off at the seems.

6. unfold the shirt and cut a half circle of fabric from the back side of the shirt, starting at the shoulder and ending under the armpit.

7. repeat the other side. i used the discarded fabric as a guide so that both sides were fairly even.

8. grab the back of the shirt (where your shoulder blades would be if you were wearing it) and bunch together with your hand.

9. take discarded collar material and wrap around the bunched fabric. tie it each time you circle the bunched fabric. tuck in any loose ends.
hey look, the shirt changed color!! magic.

10. put on shirt and take another selfie. still no pants!!

11. take a backwards selfie. super fancy photo work!

12. work out. or go back to bed and watch a few of the 10 episodes of the voice that you have on your dvr, you choose. either way, you're wearing a cute new tank!!

happy friday!
xo,
megan bird

26 comments:

  1. This is such a fun idea! So excited to try it!
    xx
    http://thescreensiren.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog , nice post
    MAYBE WE CAN FOLLOW EACH OTHER ON GFC , FB , BLOGLOVIN , let me know !!!

    Come and see my new post on :
    www.hypnocake.blogspot.com

    = BADER LAMONT FROM CASABLANCA =

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I know EXACTLY what I am going to do with all those unflattering t-shirts that I just can't bear to get rid of! This will also work perfect for the tees I have with bleach and discolored collars from my bleaching acne medicine! This was an awesome DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love step 3 :) what a cute new tank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks adorable! (And I love your tat btw.) I like to use cute tees in making soft and snuggly pillows as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this DIY, the result is amazing!

    www.ladyparisienne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very cute Megan!!! I love the back of the tank and you for sure could wear it anywhere!

    Sara :)
    http://zerotosixtyjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to do this will all of my old tees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this on Pinterest and thought about trying it - I like how it turned out with yours so I might have to give it a go - I have a drawer full of t-shirts I don't wear anymore either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CUTE! I love it :) Definitely want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea...I love the back of it! My hubby is always cutting the sleeves off tees and turning them into sleeveless shirts to wear to bed or the beach.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cool how you converted it! Love the twisting in the back. Awesome! :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great DIY! Love how it turned out :)

    Sylvia
    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am doing this today. I love the fit of men's tees through the body but the crew necks and big arms are not flattering. I keep forgetting that and buying more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen this on pinterest!! been wanting to try it, i have lots of workout t-shirts that need to be made into these awesome tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great idea! I went through a phase with t-shirts too. This is a great alternative!
    -Ash
    www.thestylizedwannabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great way to give an old tee new life! I like the twist of the straps on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This just might be easy enough even for me! Love how it came out, you look so cute.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool idea!!!!x
    Ha ha, your no pants thing reminds me of the ebay girl whose naked reflection was caught in her ebay photo!x

    ReplyDelete
  20. well, i'll be. look at you ms. creative megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank for this cute DIY ^^


    New post - Kisses
    http://www.mademoisellemode.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha ha...I love the part where the shirt changes colour! Magic : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute and so easy
    Now if only getting fabulous looking arms were that easy!
    Have a great weekend
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute, cute look! I love that tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with you on tee shirts. I find T's that I love and then don't wear them for exactly the reasons you mentioned. In fact, I have a stack right now that I was planning to alter. Thanks for the additional idea!!

    xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete