Tuesday, April 2, 2013

outfit of the day(bird): april fool's (and happy birthday)




pants ~ F21
sweater, tank ~ Marshalls
booties ~ Target
earrings ~ Heartbreaker

eight years ago yesterday, i woke up very, very early because my doctor had finally given us the go ahead to get induced. i was 10 days overdue, big as a whale, and so ready to have my first baby. so chris and i woke up at 5 am, called the hospital to see if they had any beds for us, and were denied. they told us to call back in two hours. after nine months and 10 days, you'd think two hours wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it was. we waited, rather impatiently, for two hours (maybe more like 1.5 hours...i couldn't wait), and then called again. they woman at the other end of the line told me that if i could get there in the next 20 minutes, we could probably get a room. so we ran, as fast as a whale can run, to the car (my mom was driving us so we wouldn't have a car parked at the hospital), and my sweet mom drove us to the hospital as fast as she could – she may have even run a few red lights.

when we got there, we ran to the check-in desk and signed all the necessary papers. what happened next, i am not proud of, but remember, it had been nine months and 10 days. we were told there was one room open, and that we had to hurry to get there...it was some sort of crazy busy day for babies being born, i guess, and since i wasn't actually in labor, i didn't get preferential treatment. we ran to the elevator, and we saw another not-in-labor mom and her husband heading for the same elevator, presumably to get that empty room. so we took the stairs, and never before had i run up stairs so fast. ok, i probably walked, but in my head, i was 175 pounds of olympian runner sprinting for my room. and we made it.

and then they induced me, and we waited and waited. and i had contractions the whole day, but nothing horrible. and we waited and waited some more, and henry decided that nine months and 10 days wasn't long enough and that april fool's day was not the day he wanted to be born. so the doctors gave me some morphine, and i had the most luxurious night's sleep i have ever had, and probably ever will have, and the next day we started all over again. this time it worked, and my sweet baby boy finally decided (after a lot of pushing and crying and one vacuum suction to the head) to grace us with his presence. and i was happy.

happy birthday, bear bear. you will always be my baby. i love you to the moon and back.

xo,
megan bird

25 comments:

  1. Damn now that is a long labor!!! And who in their right mind would want to born on April Fool's day - smart man!!!! I love the 80's vibe I'm getting from this look! And I'll have to share the recipe for the butterscotch sticky buns- so easy and so GOOD!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is long!! I probably shouldn't read stories like that :) happy birthday to him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...what would happen if there were no rooms in the hospital when you really were in labor! Oh well, don't need to think about that because it all turned out ok! Happy birthday Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Henry! What a little stinker for picking his birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahah :) Happy Birthday Henry! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever seen the episode of Mad About You where Jamie gives birth and they fight over the "Good room"? Your story about racing to get that empty bed made me think of that! Happy birthday Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so insane that you had to run to reserve a room! Happy birthday, Henry!!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. You went through a lot! So glad everything turned out well! Happy Birthday to him indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw happy birthday to your son! I also have a son's birthday today! AND he's turning 8 too!!! I didn't have the same ordeal that you did though. My son was 5 days early and I went into labor like a crazy woman. I was only in labor for five hours with him--start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww Happy Birthday Henry! I guess he really didn't want to be an April Fool's baby! Love your sweater and booties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before now I had never considered the possibility of competing to get a room when you are about to give birth- oh my! Happy birthday to Henry :)

    ...and also I love your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww happy birthday henry! And you look fabulous in your fun outfit!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWWW!!! Happy Birthday Henry! I love that sweater :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy birthday to your henry! you're looking fab like usual, dear megan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw...happy birthday to Henry! Love your color blocked sweater...so cute :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so brave to have gone through all that! Happy Birthday to Henry! loving your sweater! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I'm so glad I never had that problem! I would have had the babies in the lobby if I had been denied a room. :)

    I love the touch of leopard in your shoes!

    Jenn
    Olivine/Opal

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah, that sounds intense!!! Very glad you made it and had that good night's sleep before the craziness of motherhood!x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahaha that's an amazing story!!! I love that you beat the other woman by taking the stairs. Happy Birthday to Henry!
    :)Ally

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great birthday story! Happy Birthday Henry! Glad you decided to grace your family with your presence 8 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved your story, haha I would of ran too! Your outfit is lovely as well, especially that black and pink sweater.

    -Vogue&Heels
    vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Megan, that was a nice story but not as hilarious a story as you told about his miss-shaped head and resemblance to ET that you told back when Nora was expecting Ben! I nearly pee-ed my pants at THAT story!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha. Your outfit is great; color block with leopard scores every time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So funny - glad you beat that other momma to it and got that night of sleep! Happy birthday to Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet post / story -- so glad you made it to a bed! Also, those shoes... perfect!
    --Lily
    Fifth Freedom Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  25. Belated happy birthday, Henry! You're lucky to have such a fashionable and loving mom! :D

    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete