Monday, April 15, 2013

inspiration monday: party planning

the inspiration
selma blair
megan bird



jeans ~ H&M
shoes, cardi ~ thrifted
tank ~ Target

nora bird



shoes, jeans, shirt, belt ~ thrifted
jacket ~ megan's 
henry's birthday party was a huge success!! while it may be the craziest two hours we ever experience during the year, it's also only two hours a year, so we really can't complain. (four hours with both kids...two hours of screaming boys and two hours of screaming girls just to even it out.) after eight years, i have learned four tricks on how to make the parties somewhat less chaotic.

1. make sure to have it over lunch because this takes up time and keeps them fairly quiet, at least for 15 minutes.
2. plan a project that takes up time and also acts as a party favor. i have never been a fan of the plastic party favors our kids bring home from parties, so i try to have the kids make something that they can bring home. this year, we made iron-on t-shirts. a few other things we've done in the past are snow globes, cookie decorating, and painted masterpieces.
3. only allow the party to last two hours. this should have been number one. three hours is way too long and tries your patience and one hour isn't enough time.
4. this is key...plan it for a saturday. yes, this seems obvious, when else would you plan it? but my reasoning for this isn't as obvious. saturday is key because when you have a drink afterwards, and trust me, you will need one, you still have a whole other day to recover from both the party and the drinking!

of course i say these things in jest. i actually really enjoy throwing parties for the kids. i get make them special cakes every year, which always turn out horribly ugly, but are special nonetheless. and i love to see our kids interact with their friends. the two hours of chaos is so worth it when i see the smiles and laughter that our kids share with their friends.

happy monday!
xoxo,
two birds

22 comments:

  1. That is awesome! So glad the party turned out well. You ladies are rocking these outfits :D You look better than the celebrity. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the stripes! and those yellow shoes are SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love stripes- you can't go wrong with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the party was a success! Megan, I thought that first photo of Selma Blair was actually you at first - there is definitely a huge similarity!! And how jealous am I of those thrifted yellow loafers? Very, that's how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the party was a huge success and lots of fun! I love your yellow shoes and Nora's red ones! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't go wrong with denim & stripes! Glad to see you survived the party in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stripes are my fav! I'm glad the party was a success and you had a drink after, haha.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely understand and agree. My younger two kids have bdays 2 weeks apart (well and two years) and I only get them one weekend (and every weekday) in April, so we do a power birthday party weekend with them--two birthday parties in one weekend. It is CRAZY but it is our only option. Being organized and keeping it simple is the best advice. I love the stripes today ladies! Our bday parties are this weekend--wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are both looking gorgeous in your stripes and bright shoes! Yay for the party going well! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVING this Selma Blair look! Striped top with jeans is always a winner in my book. :)

    sincerelysammie.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great outfits both of you, cuz of the colors you chose! Great write up about Henry's party. Sorry didn't participate in the hop, but my weekend was a bit too crazy. Perhaps next week. I love you guys but my posing for pics over the weekend is too hard to get accomplished for me now days. (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come to a Birds party? They sound like fun!!!
    Totally realised I misread your post originally and thought it was Selina Gomes, not Selma Blair- doh, that's half my post now rendered redundant!
    Looking very pretty in stripes! I like how different you both look! Wish I had a red and white stripy top!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really wanted to do this one because I have similar pieces and hello! We have the same hair. But this last week just kind of went to the dogs...lol
    Megan im obsessed with your darling shoes! And Nora I love the tucked in top :)
    Jessi
    Haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You girls look so cute in stripes! :D I love that you take inspiration and then put on your own spin on it!

    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com
    twitter and instagram: @BelatedBloomer

    ReplyDelete
  15. You both look super cute, but then you always do. Snow still, eh? Hope you get green grass soon!

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. i bet you're an awesome party planner!these are good tips, and good inspiration outfits. i want to see photos of these so-called ugly cakes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that yellow shoes are just adorable!!
    anna
    www.letourbillondelavie.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You both look so cute, and Megan you look a little bit like Selma in these pics! Glad to hear Henry's party was a success :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad the party went well.
    I just have to say, I think a little toddler in your outfit photos would have made them PERFECT for inspiration Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I am glad it went well! LOVE these colors on the blog today!! :) so bright even if there is the S work out there! :)

    ReplyDelete