Friday, April 5, 2013

bird.i.y.: washi tape bunting

i have a love for both washi tape and buntings. i never knew this until i got engaged. ok, i always have loved buntings, but the washi tape is a new thing. it's a pretty sad day when you excitedly order eight different rolls of washi tape and check the mail every day to see if they have arrived. or maybe it's not a sad day, you be the judge. either way, i had a ton of ideas of what i wanted to do with my new washi tape...but this was not one of them.

and then one day, when the tape arrived at my doorstep, i sat down and thought about what i could do with it. an idea hit me, and i went on a mad search for the twine that i knew i bought for the wedding at a garage sale last summer. you'd think this would be an easy task....but that is only because you don't know that i have about 15 boxes of wedding items stored in our basement. and by 15, i mean 20, and by boxes, i mean 50-gallon rubbermaid totes. so yeah, it took a while to find a tiny ball of twine. but if i'm nothing else, i am persistent, and i eventually found it.

then came the easy part...making the bunting. seriously, it could not have been easier. it was a bit time consuming, but the kids and chris sat with me and we chatted and made jokes, so the time went by fairly quickly.

here's all you need:
as many colors/patterns of washi tape as you want (i bought mine in bulk on ebay)
twine/thread/yarn...you choose
scissors
and that's it

all i did was cut similar sized pieces of washi tape and stuck them to a predetermined length of twine. i normally am not a person who prefers symmetry and order, but in this case, i kept the order of the patterns uniform. the pieces i cut were about two inches long, and i folded them in half, so each piece would stick to itself, over the piece of twine. i found it easier to lay the length of twine on a table and do many pieces of tape at once. i tried one at a time, but i was quickly bored, so assembly line it was. i'm the henry ford of washi tape buntings, if i do say so myself.


after you have as much as you'd like, just cut an inverted 'v' at the bottom of each piece. by doing this, you are not only making them look adorable, but you are also making sure that any pieces that weren't folded exactly in half are now even.


and that's it. i hung it in our room (using more washi tape instead of nails) (chris hates how many nails i have already put in our wall) (see the pic above for one that isn't filled in yet) (i have since moved the bunting to cover that hole instead of filling it in) next to the dream catcher that the kids and i made for chris (more on that in a future bird.i.y. post). 



we plan on making these diys a regular post – some about food, some about crafts, others about who knows what. the thing about our blog...all of our diys will be doable because we don't claim to be martha stewart. plus, we're firm believers that something doesn't have to be difficult to be cute or delicious!!

what have you crafted lately?
xo,
megan bird

31 comments:

  1. I didn't know what washi tape was until I saw your pics! I've seen this used for parties, etc - and I love it! So festive :)

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome!!! I love the colors. You did a great job! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is darling! I love how it turned out. I've never experimented with washi tape but now I want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um - so cute! Love how this came out :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very cute and really suits your bedroom which adorable! I love your use of colour.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much. I'm all about color right now - I want to string some of this up in my spare bedroom (aka my giant walk in closet) because it's just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really good idea for the baby shower I'm hosting this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That came out SO cute! The colors are really pretty too. Happy Friday!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
























    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute ide a- it would be adorable in my office! My husband hates bunting and cheered when the string I had in the kitchen recently fell. Ha! Keep up the DIYs for sure, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out great, and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love washi tape! Such a cute diy!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...how CUTE is that bunting AND that bedroom?! Thanks for this DIY project. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute idea! I would love to make this for my own wall. Happy Friday! xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! What a fabulous idea!
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww cute! I have been making beads for earrings, now just need to make the earring hooks!x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh -- this is such a cute idea. I love it (and how simple it is!)
    --Lily
    Fifth Freedom Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute idea Megan! Love this!!!

    Sylvia
    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable DIY to do! Such a simple way to spice up a plain wall.
    Also, thanks so so much for the lovely comment <3
    I hope to one day reach such a place of self confidence!

    Enter my StyleGodis jewelry giveaway here!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely d├ęcoration :)

    Kiss
    http://www.mademoisellemode.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. love all your post ideas

    Dawn
    www.dressmeperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Unos adornos muy originales!!!
    Un beso!


    http://cocoolook.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahumm, yes, the sequin skirt you inquired about is indeed sequins. ...of course, hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so pretty. I have always loved bunting too. And I just ordered like 10 washi tapes from Etsy. This is the first washi tape I've ever owned. I may have to try this project.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    Enter our iPad and Lilly Pulitzer iPad Case Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  24. So delicate and feminie. Love it!
    http://whichmewillibetoday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the colorful spread and pillows...all crafts should be easy is my motto! I've shared a couple of extremely easy DIY's on my site. Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its Pinterest Worthy And AdoRable. Your Bed Is So Cottage Happy And Sweet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is adorable! it looks relatively simple, too. i want to make one. your bed turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete