Friday, April 19, 2013

bird.i.y.: polka dot skinnies

i have been wanting a pair of polka dot skinnies for a while now, but have been unable to find a pair that i love. plus, there's the fact that i already own (literally) about 15 pairs of skinny jeans in multiple colors, patterns and washes, so i was hesitant about buying a new pair. just kidding, i am rarely hesitant about buying a new pair of jeans! however, because i couldn't find a pair that i loved, and because we committed to doing a diy on the blog every week, i decided to make my own.

i went through my stack of skinnies and found the pair that i would be the least worried about ruining. after all, i didn't have much of a game plan in making these jeans. i guess if i really screwed them up, i could have just bleached them all together and called it a day, but luckily that didn't happen.

if you don't have 15 pairs to choose from, feel free to buy a new pair. after that, all you need is a clorox bleach pen.
stay tuned for a warning about these guys.

initially, i lay my jeans directly on the floor. this really is ok, unless you have a very thin pair of jeans. if that's the case, i suggest putting a lining between the legs of the jeans. mine were thick, so i lay them flat, with nothing in between the fabric. i did (after working on them for a good 20 minutes) decide to lay a towel underneath, just in case the bleach spilled through. a towel is always a safe bet...unless you really love the towel and don't want bleach on it.

so you have the jeans and this handy little pen – all you need to do it just start dotting away. btw, dotting is a real term, i looked it up. keep in mind that this is not a precise way to make polka dots, you will have to be ok with some being bigger, some being rounder, some being uneven. i am very ok with these sorts of things, mainly because i have no patience when it comes to crafting. so, if you are ok with imperfection, dot away!!

see?

i did the whole front, and let it dry overnight. the next morning, i turned them over and did the back. i skipped over the pockets, because, well, my butt doesn't need any more embellishment.


in the end, i used about one and a half bleach pens. i started with one that was in our linen closet, and then frantically texted chris to pick me up another one as i was running out of the first. and here comes my warning....

always use a new bleach pen. apparently bleach pens lose their ability to bleach after a while. i found this out because, after letting the other side dry overnight, the next step of the diy is to wash the jeans.
here is the back after washing...looks great, right?

and here is the front. waa waa. (note the bleached heart and the bottom row on the right...i made those with the new pen which is why they turned out.)


after school special lesson of the day...always use a new pen (and don't do drugs).
(♪♪♫ the more you know ♫♪)

so, i grabbed the new pen and started over on the completely washed out parts. (seriously, bleach? you're bleach, and these are dark jeans. nothing? nothing at all?)

then i washed and dried them again, and voila...polka dot pants! if after you wash them, you notice a few lighter dots, you can always go over them again with the pen. just repeat all steps until you are happy with the results. i am very happy with my results. just like that, i have a "new" pair of jeans!

xo,
megan bird

34 comments:

  1. I have to try this out, although I want to do it on pants, do you think that could work too???
    Good DIY project. Thank you for sharing

    xx
    meinmode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cool..mmm thinking of doing that on my shorts..great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super cute! I have a pair of diy'd polka dot skinnies on my pinterest board I've been meaning to do, nut I haven't found the time yet. Yours look awesome. I love the little heart detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are awesome!! those turned out SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I didn't even know they made bleach pens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I've been wanting to try this on a t-shirt. Glad I know I should start with a new pen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! This is a great way to spice up cheap Forever 21 jeans (which I have plenty of pairs of!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These came out great!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute pants!

    "seriously, bleach? you're bleach"

    Haha, that part amused me. Bleach never seems to do what I expect it to either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I've seen this DIY with paint before - but a bleach pen seems easier - as long as it's fresh as you said! Fun project! I like yours better than the ones I bought myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out great! I'm not a patient crafter either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You clever girls! What an easy way to create polka dot skinny jeans! Brilliant. Have a wonderful weekend!

    sincerelysammie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how it came out, such a fun diy!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of the bleach pen. Great project!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea! now to choose a pair of jeans to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they came out great! lol, bummer you had to redo parts of the pants, but that little hear was a cute addition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good Megan, very good. I doubt I would be that patient in placing the bleach so strategically. I know, I know: Patience is a virtue. hahahahaha

    And ...your blog side boarders are Tiffany Box blue, too. Well on my monitor anyway. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very good! I'm rubbish at dotting in a straight line though, it ALWAYS goes wonky!x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea, and I totally love the little heart embellishment! I've done this with white paint, but this looks like it works better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this is such a great idea, thank you so much for sharing.

    http://pinklovelaugh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun and crafty idea and that little heart totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh megan bird, i like. good call on the pockets. the after school special lesson is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a cool idea, wish I had enough time to try it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. So freaking cite! I might really need to do this because I've been wanting a pair too but i haven't found one i truly love. I've seen this done with paint before but i think the bleach is a way better idea!
    Love that you're sharing DIYs every week now!
    Jessi
    Haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh gosh!!! you did a GREAT job! they look so good.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable DIY! I like the imperfect dots - I think it's cuter when they're not uniform. :) I might have to keep my eyes peeled at the thrift store so I can pick up a pair of skinnies to transform!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely pants ^^

    Kisses
    http://www.mademoisellemode.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. love it! So cute! No need rushing out to buy a pair when you can just make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow how cool !!! love this post
    Your super clever

    Dawn
    www.dressmeperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a great DIY! Lovely idea as I've been looking for a pair of polka dot jeans!

    Away From the Blue

    ReplyDelete
  31. So cute! I love this - and these turned out great! I also need a pair of polka dot pants in my life... I may need to try this :)

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete