Friday, April 26, 2013

bird.i.y: neon cap-toe heels

i have been coveting a pair of cap-toe heels ever since megan bought these ones, but i have yet to buy any. and since i have a closet full of heels, half of which i almost never wear, i thought instead of spending money on a new pair of shoes, i could take a pair i already own and make my own cap-toe heels. or at least try! why not???

here's what you'll need:
~ a pair of heels (or any shoes you want to do this with!)
~ tape
~ a paint brush
~white acrylic paint
~ another color acrylic paint (this will be the color of the toe. i went with bright yellow, for spring!)

first, you will tape off a cap toe at the front of the heel. you can make it any size.

next, paint the toe with a coat of white paint and let it dry.


the white coat took about a half hour to dry. then i painted a couple of coats of the yellow paint.


before the paint dries completely, peel off the tape. if it dries completely first, it could crack and the line might not be straight. and that would be sad. then just let the paint dry.

then just throw these babies on with your favorite jeans and a tee or a cute little dress! i chose the former...



i am not sure how long these will last without a sealing coat of something (any suggestions?) over the toes. i will do this at some point. but for now, i am happy with how they turned out! and i have a new pair of shoes and spent no money! what do you think???

happy friday!
xoxo, nora bird

32 comments:

  1. Love your cute diy heels and the tee. Where did you get it. I need one too <3

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put mod podge over it! They also sell clear sealant at the craft store in a spray can. I used it to do DIY glitter heel and it worked. These are so perfect for spring! I want to try!
    -ash
    www.thestlizedwannaebe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out SO cute! Hope you find something to make them last :) Have a great weekend!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    $50 Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great DIY! The shoes look fabulous. And I love the tee you wore, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great here! Love the look of those shoes. Might have to look in my closet for a pair of shoes to add this to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! Love that you chose yellow - my favorite :) They came out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I have some old shoes I should do this to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These turned out wonderfully! Seems like a fairly easy DIY too! I need to do more DIY projects, so I'm loving these posts you and Megan are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! They turned out so well!! I absolutely love your jeans & tee, too! Where are they from??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! You got the edge so crisp and perfect - ncie job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute, cute, cute! I like that you used shoes with a brushed suede finish.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great diy, I love easy diy that doesn't cost too much. Also, you look great! I dig the casual look with heels. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nora, these are marvellous!!!! I've been meaning to do some acrylic shoe painting for ages (I have loads of acrylics) but I seem to lack any shoes that are made of leather or smooth plastic without funny details or lumps on the front, so not suitable for painting! I still yearn for cat shoes!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. They turned out awesome and I love your tee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. genius! i love these shoes and the outfit is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic DIY! I love how they came out, they look amazing!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great! (Plus they are great looking shoes to start with!) I'd be interested to know how they hold up too, you'll have to keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome revamp! Looks great with that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how these turned out!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyeblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have acrylic paint...hmmm... Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are truly amazing. It came out good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great DIY! I adore the result very much. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh these are gorgeous Nora!! I've been coveting a cap-toe heel too! Might have to try this. I love the yellow and how cute does it look with jeans and a tee? It dresses them up perfectly :)
    Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not gonna lie, when I saw those first few I thought it wasn't going to look good at all haha but they look AMAAAAAAZING!! such a great idea & perfect fun color!

    http://dusanabotswana.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. how ingenious... they look fabulous! I maaaaay have to try that! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG that's a real clever DIY.....the results are FAB!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really want to do this. I love this style of shoes and there is never enough of it around. Looks amazing and I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. They turned out so cute! And I love the red lips too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! That's a great idea!! I might try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete