Tuesday, March 26, 2013

style me: hammer time




shirt, pants ~ thrifted
love necklace, ring ~ Miz Outlet
wishbone necklace ~ Marc Jacobs
earrings ~ hand-me-down
shoes ~ Urban Original

back when we started this blog, we had all kinds of ideas about how we would try to style ugly clothes. both nora and i have a penchant for buying ugly clothes because we always see the beauty in them. we use the term, "these are so ugly they're cute" all the time. so we started this post called style me, and had a few decent posts where we (mostly nora) actually made some really ugly stuff look decent.

and then we kept shopping, and shopped some more. and then our closets got so full that we both decided that it wasn't a great idea to pack an already full closet with things that are so ugly they're cute....especially when they weren't really that cute. so we kind of stopped doing those posts.

and then i found these pants and had to have them. because they really are so ugly they are cute. (ok, you be the judge, maybe it's just me.) plus they were $.50, so even one wear would make them worth it. so i'm wearing them, and you know what? i kind of love them. bright color? check. loose and comfy? check. drawstring waist? check. i mean, aren't those the three most important things when it comes to fashion? no? no?

anyhow, i don't know how often i will wear these, but when i do, i will love them and show them off, and not be embarrassed when people stare. in the wise words of a lyrical poet who also wore these pants with no shame, "you can't touch this".

xo,
megan bird

26 comments:

  1. I love it! It's so true that things are so ugly they are cute! These pants are awesome!!!!!!!!!! A great spring/summer piece - throw on a tank and some fabulous heels and this is ready for downtown! I LOVE these pants!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Seriously, they look great on you. I reeeeaaaallly want some Hammer pants of my own, but every pair I've tried is just...not. You go with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look comfy really. I remember having some when I was a teenager. The striped top really suits them. Thanks for visiting, hope you'll come again xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look is adorable! I absolutely love these pants and the color of them. A true statement for spring!
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually think these look super cute on you, M! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great idea for a post, although I can definitely see how that could lead to a closet of stuff you 'kinda' like....but these are a win! They look so stylish and comfy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok they are really cute. I was worried when I saw the title but they really work with the striped tee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have totally used the "So ugly it's cute" line before! And I think these are actually quite cute! Great color and if they are comfy, that is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE these! :) I love harem pants and I know a lot of people don't... but they should try them on and see how comfy they are before they judge ;) Plus you look super adorable! I got a lot of stares the last time I wore mine (which are also animal print) but I just assumed it is because they wanted to be as comfy as me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These hammer pants are actually pretty cute! Definitely not a bad deal for 50 cents. I can't wait to see what else you guys have lurking in your closet that's "so ugly it's cute"!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so fun! interesting post idea. i can see how your closet could eventually overflow! lol

    Brandy
    willbakeforshoes.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these pants actually.I have a pair of traditional Indian pants that look similar to these and you wouldn't believe how great they are in the summer. Seriously yours are such a pretty color too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when you used to do those posts! I really like the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HA! These look so cool! I am pretty sure American Apparel has the same ones for like 60$ too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only you can pull off harem pants! I tried them on once just to see what they would look like and I ended up looking like an oompa loompa (spell?). Haha! But they look great on you!

    http://www.sincerelysammie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like the color, and they sure look comfy! I've never tried out harem pants, maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you great! Confidence and styling are sometimes all an ugly item needs. :)

    Jenn
    Olivine/Opal

    I just realized my latest post is titled, "Ugly Is The New Pretty". Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look. You look great. Jeesh. More coffee needed.

      Delete
  18. I definitely think those pants are so ugly that they're cute. Good for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. 50 cents!? That is awesome. Those pants are so fun and I love the bright color. I think that they are definitely different, but you pulled it off great!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never really been a fan of Hammer pants, but I love these on you! They look great and the color is perfect. I also love the mixing patterns of the striped top with floral shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those pants!!! Great color!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love those pants on you..great pairings too..awesome post

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fun pants, and do they ever bring back memories! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think these pants aren't ugly at all!! Love em and love your blog!!

    (='.'=)
    Lauren at adorn la femme

    ReplyDelete
  25. Any thing looks cute on you Megan! Just the other day I was remembering some green pants I had that were so similar to those back in the early 90's. But mine were really ugly.........

    ReplyDelete