Friday, March 8, 2013

bird seed: quinoa pizza bites

i was doing my early morning blog reading the other day and i came upon a recipe for quinoa pizza bites. being a lover of both pizza and quinoa, i decided then and there that i had to have them. of course i closed the page and forgot where i found the recipe originally, so in true megan fashion, i made up my own recipe.

normally i never measure anything, i just cook by taste and intuition. this is why i'm a horrible baker, you need to measure when you're making bread. trust me, i have made many an unintentional flatbreads in my life.  but cooking is easy for me...a dash here, a dash there, and it usually turns out (usually).

this time, though, i knew chris and the kids would like these quinoa bites, so i decided to measure and keep track of what i was using. of course, i didn't write it down, so you will have to rely on my fabulous memory for this recipe. either way, they are delicious (and healthy)!

so, here's what you need:

3 cups cooked quinoa
1.5 cups grated cheese (i used the generic mexican mix)
2 T dry italian seasoning
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
one small chopped onions*
2 eggs
*you can add as many veggies as you want. we only had onions, but next time I'll add mushrooms and spinach.

now here is the part where you need to keep in mind that i always cook to have leftovers. it makes making lunches the next day that much easier. so, if you're not looking to feed an army, half this recipe. if you are literally looking to feed an army, this won't be nearly enough. unless it's an army of like, eight people.

start by cooking the quinoa per the directions. i cooked mine in the morning, so that when i got home, it was all ready for me. then all i had to do was mix everything in. the hardest part was cutting the onion.


i had it all mixed together when i realized i needed a binder, so last minute eggs...oops!


once it's all mixed together, put the mixture into prepared muffin tins. i had enough to make 24 small and 12 large sized bites.

fill them about 3/4 of the way full and smoosh (that's a very technical cooking term) with the back end of a spoon to make sure they are compacted into the tin.


bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, and...

voila!! serve with marinara sauce.

you should know, my vintage dishes only come out for parties and instagram. any other day of the week, we eat straight from the pan. (ok, not really) (ok, yeah we do)

chris, the kids and i ate all 24 small bites for dinner. and like i said, i made 12 large ones for leftovers.



which my the way make a delicious breakfast when covered with melted provolone and a fried egg.


this is our every day plate, and yes, it's on a pillow. i told you i was making breakfast in bed for chris every day this week!!

next time, i will hunt high and low for some vegetarian pepperoni (anyone know where to find it?) and add a piece on top of each bite. the possibilities are endless!!

enjoy!
xo,
megan bird

21 comments:

  1. Check Amazon for vegetarian pepperoni, they have everything!
    These look delicious but unfortunately quinoa does bad bad things to my body. Eeep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I just bought my first bag of quinoa a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. Now I'm looking for fun things to do with it. I'm totally going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks delicious - definitely going to have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really tasty! Though I haven't had much quinoa, I bet this would be a yummy way to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I'm always looking for ways to use my giant bag of quinoa. I'm excited to give 'em a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mind blown. Pizza + quinoa just didn't exist in the same parts of my brain. I need to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh. my. gosh. these sound PHENOMENAL! definitely going to try to make these with the boyfriend sometime soon!

    xx Corinne
    cateyesandthighhighs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh that looks delicious and not too difficult to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. they look so good! i've never had these. thanks for the recipe.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious - can't wait to give this recipe a try!

    Have a great weekend!
    Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. hooray for making the perfect meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this recipe has totally piqued my interest
    might have to give it a go this week
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I can't stop eating - and it's driving me crazy !!! My waist is growing daily boooo!!!

    Dawn

    www.dressmeperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good! I was blog surfing and stumbled upon a recipe for maple bacon muffins! I am so going to try them. Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely post, good weekend! kisses

    http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok these look amazing! Does your family usually like healthy stuff? I wanna try these but idk if my hubby would eat them?
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete