Tuesday, February 12, 2013

bird.i.y.: cupid's arrow

i posted another valentine's diy a few weeks ago, but have another one for you. again, this one is so easy, you could even get it done before thursday if you choose to make it yourself!

a while ago, in a love*birds post, nora posted about how she loved these cute little arrows. i don't know why, because i wasn't really in the market for arrows, but i felt that i had to have them. i thought i could make them myself, and then never did, so when sunday came, and with it a ton of snow, the kids and i decided to stay in and got to work on making these beauties for papa.

we were going to use wooden dowels for the base, but henry, being oh so creative (i told you, i'm a proud mama), said to me, "mama, why don't we old-fashioned them up and use sticks instead?" one, i love him for his creativity, and two i love that he used old-fashion as a verb. so we used sticks. it ultimately saved us a few dollars and an extra trip to michaels.

so, here's what you will need:
sticks (or dowels), feathers, an exacto knife, thick thread (how many ever colors you want), heart-shaped wooden beads and a hot glue gun (not pictured)

i broke the sticks all to a similar size and went to work carving pointy arrows at one end. i worked very diligently on this, until i realized that a pencil sharpener would work better.
(so add that to the list of what you'll need, i guess.)

after i got the arrows perfectly sharp and symmetrical acceptably sharp enough to fit in the heart-bead's hole, i let the kids run wild with the thread. i added a thin line of hot glue to the stick and we carefully wrapped the thread around the stick. (some more carefully than others.)

i then carefully cut each feather in half. some halves had to be discarded because again, i wasn't as careful as i should have been, but i was able to make it work with most.

i then applied another strip of hot glue, stuck two feathers on the end of each stick, and wrapped more thread around the base of the feathers to secure them in place.


i then put a dollop of hot glue on the heart bead and stuck the pointy end of the stick into it. we only had three beads, and ended up making five arrows, so two were just perfectly pointy and symmetrical acceptably pointy and symmetrical arrows instead of hearts.


i found a cute vintage jar (i have literally hundreds in my house right now), and put all the arrows in it. i think it makes for a cute little decoration. what do you think?


do you have any great valentine's diys? i'd love to hear about yours (leave links or ideas in the comments below).

xo,
megan bird

24 comments:

  1. Henry is a word inventerer! Love the arrows, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are adorable! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this, megan. I am going to make my own arrow for my wall hanging thank you and the kids very much. That little vignette you created at the end is full of love and should be pinned. Awesome. I just found feathers at the thrift and now I know why I bought them. dawn xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so fun! I may just have to do some stick collecting in the backyard later today:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO cute! This is also a nice alternative to all the traditional heart decor!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are SO incredibly cute! You are so crafty :) Please send some of your creative vibes my way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!! I am just all thumbs with crafts, but I love seeing what other people do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too Cute. I'm posting a v-day nail post tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these, and what a great idea with the sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable! I've seen all different variations of arrows for valentine's day but these really are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are so cute!!! I love the colors you used.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw - those arrows are too cute! You guys always have the best DIYs :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this is such a cute project! So clever...I love it!

    Sylvia
    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable! I've always had a "thing" for arrows since I competitively shot archery as a kid, I may have to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awh, thanks for liking my tree photo that is heavy with snow. I don't do DIY projects. and I don't cook.

    What is WRONG with me?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwwwwwwwww, they are so cute!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great DIY!! Thankx for sharing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute idea! I don't do much for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How super cute. I really love this idea. What a great way to decorate in a non-conventional way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that's totally darling! someone is a creative bird. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. great choices! love that mint peplum dress especially!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete