Monday, January 14, 2013

inspiration monday: home again, home again

the inspiration
alexa chung
megan bird



tunic ~ Kohls
boots ~ thrifted
socks ~ ?
earrings ~ hand-me-down from nora

nora bird



dress~ Lux, thrifted
necklace~ gift
shoes~ Qupid, Marshalls
tights~ Target


jiggity jig, we're home!! this weekend, we decided to go to a resort about three hours from home. it's a great place with pretty much nothing to do in the winter but relax and thrift shop. i don't need much more incentive than that, so we packed up the car and decided to make a short weekend of it. two days of relaxation and $100 later, we had a car full of vintage blankets, hat boxes, plates and candle holders for the wedding, and we started for home.

about 30 minutes into our drive, the tachometer in our car went out. i asked chris if that was indicative of worse things to come, and he shook his head. i think he was trying to not worry me. about 10 minutes later, the radio pooped out, and chris and i looked at each other with a twinkle of worry in our eyes, but we kept driving. five minutes later, the speedometer started spinning in circles like it was something out of a tim burton movie, and the car died. lucky for us we were 1. by a restaurant, 2. near a napa auto store, and 3. with chris who is a regular mcyver when it comes to anything electrical or mechanical. i grabbed the kids and we got to sit in a warm restaurant and have some food and coffee, while chris made the short trek to the auto store. not at one point was i worried that we wouldn't be able to get home.

even before we were done eating, chris called and told me that the car was temporarily fixed. the alternator had gone out, and it being a sunday, we were not able to get a new one in a small town on such short notice. so chris bought two batteries and we drove the car home with no heat, no radio, and our fingers crossed. luckily i had bought enough vintage blankets to keep us all warm the whole way. in chris' words, we drove "like we stole the car", and three batteries later, we are home safe and sound.

how was your weekend?

inspmon_XJdT71_zpscbf30840

xoxo,
two birds

32 comments:

  1. Really lovely. I like the way you have used the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank goodness for vintage blankets! Sounds like a fun weekend, minus the car trouble! You guys both look awesome in those dresses :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great inspiration! I love the tunic Megan and Nora those tights are too cute! Did you dye your hair? Either way I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora I love your hair! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys are too cute! love this look :) u guys pulled off alexa so well!

    P.S. so jealous of ur snow!

    XO Meghan
    citrusrefreshingfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it back safe and sound despite all the car trouble! Love both of your cute little dresses!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Datevitation Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it home in one piece!

    Megan, I'm cold just looking at you - put on a jacket missy.;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both looking lovely as usual. But oh my goodness Megan, bare legs in the snow! You're braver than I. Nora - loving the new hair colour.

    Relaxing an theft shopping, I could use some of that… the breakdown, not so much. How lucky you were near a restaurant and that you could get home with blankets :)

    My weekend was fun, lots of pottering and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure! Reminds me of a vaca my brother, sister and I had with my mom. I love these looks very much. The dresses are so cute but you girls are making me freeze just looking at you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an adventure of a weekend Megan! Wow!

    Nora - I love your new hair!! Super pretty!!!

    And I did what I said I might last week - I submitted my outfit from last Wednesday, cause apparently I had ESP that day and wore an outfit that just totally matched the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE both looks, ladies!

    xo,
    Terry

    http://terrys-two-cents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the celebrity style inspiration, you look so lovely, and it's such a great idea! And I'm so glad that you were able to get back home safe and sound!

    Have a lovely start to the new week!

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness for warm blankets and a handy husband! You both look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg'd! cars give out at the damndest of times. glad you guys got back safely. love your two outfits!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brrr.... both of your outfits are making me shiver! Then driving back with no heat? DOUBLE BRR!! Glad you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you made it home safely! I would have been out of luck if that happened to me. Love both outfits! Nora, I really like your red hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what an adventure! How lucky are you to have bought those blankets and broken down by an auto store!? And don't you love a mechanic smart hubby? Mine keeps me from ever worrying about car trouble!
    Anywho, Megan I love the embellishments on your dress, so cute and your legs must be freezing! Haha. And Nora I love the new hair! I hadn't seen it yet. And those frames are great!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both looks are so chic, although I'll admit that I'm shivering looking at your wintry backdrop. :)
    So glad to hear that Chris' automotive skills exceed his food-competition skills ... I hate car trouble, but it sounds like you all handled it with aplomb (and got yourselves and all of your thrift goodies home safely!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You both look so pretty! Good thing you had those blankets!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love both theses outfits. Hope your warm enough oh dear I sound like my mum

    ReplyDelete
  21. All I have to say is Brrr! You ladies are making me so cold! You look gorgeous but cold! lol. I think you both did a wonderful job with the style inspiration! I completely missed out on this one again. But I can't wait to see what's next. I'm putting in on my calendar this time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh, you girls are making me cold just looking at your pictures
    Love both these looks, but the little hears/dots dress is just adorable.
    Now go inside and get a cup of coffee and warm up!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so flattered you would want to feature one of my outfits since y'all are true fashionistas!

    I love the polka dotted outfit!

    The odometer doesn't work in my car and for some odd reason when it is hot outside my car stereo won't work at times. Gotta love having an older car :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nora, I am loving the new hair. Megan, how were you able to go bare legged in January? You are tough.

    ReplyDelete
  25. two cute birds in little black dresses! :) nora's looking hot in her red hair. hooray for chris the macgyver and megan the vintage blanket goddess. glad you're home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love both looks. I´m gonna try to participate the next week.
    http://thirtysomethingchic.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love both of these looks! AND oh my that story. If I were with Jon I would have been screwed! ha-ha it took him a 1/2 hour to figure out how to jump start my car.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad you made it back safe and sound. And in this cold! Poor you!
    Really like both outfits, mixing cool and cute.

    Love,
    Jolien

    http://julianaandthedaydream.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you guys weren't too cold taking these pics!! I love alexa chung, she has such a great, laid backquirky style which you guys both nailed with your loose on top/heavier shoes proportions!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You girls have got to be freezing! Nice takes on the inspiration! Nora love the hair and the dress how adorable is that! Love the shoes for both looks as well.
    Heathersthriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooh, horrid car trouble, glad you are ok though! Nora, the hair looks amazing! Sad I missed this inspiration, could easily have done this!!

    ReplyDelete