Thursday, January 24, 2013

bird.i.y.: valentine's day print


i need to start with a disclaimer. this isn't really a diy. i mean, it is in the sense that i did it myself. but i'm not trying to post a tutorial here. i am well aware that this is probably one of the easiest projects one person could do. can you use scissors? paint a heart? stamp? then you can do this. this is kind of like if i cut off a pair of jeans and posted a diy on how to make jean shorts. so, please don't think i'm trying to condescend by calling this a diy. it was just a fun project that turned into something pretty cute, if i do say so myself.

onto the project. chris and i have a "no buy" policy for valentine's day. it has to be handmade, or nothing at all. i literally had this stuff all in our house; that is one of the perks of being a hoarder...i happened to have a vintage frame, a huge old atlas, a letter stamp set and paint to make this gift. i didn't have to leave the house at all, which was a plus.

if you are not a hoarder, all you will need is a frame of your choosing, a map of some sort (i chose one with minnesota on it to make it local), and painting supplies. oh, and if you can print or paint letters nicely, you won't need stamps. i'm not a big fan of my own handwriting, and like i said, i had stamps on hand, so i used stamps for the wording. but you don't have to.

if you ever find an old atlas while thrifting, buy it. you can do so many things with old map pages. i got this guy for 50¢.


i cut a heart out of cardboard and traced it onto the map. i chose our neighborhood to place the heart over.

i pulled out my very organized paints and brushes.
  
and my very professional pallet (we have about 50 old cds..i figured i'd put them to use!)

i painted the heart as steadily as i could. i used a few coats to cover up most of the map lines, but i thought it would also look cool (and heart like) to have some of them show through.

next, i pulled out the stamps. this is where i knew i could screw it all up. i never use a ruler to measure where i'm going to put the words. i just don't have patience for crafts like that. but, i also knew that i wanted this to look a little amateur-ish, so i wasn't too worried.

i stamped away...and drew an arrow (not my best arrow). get it? not only is chris here in minnesota, he is here in my heart.

and voila, the finished product!


easy peasy lemon breezy!!

what do you all do for valentine's day?

xo,
megan bird

29 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea; I love the way it turned out!

    For Valentine's I decorate...the mantel anyway...and make a special meal. And this year? I'll be making a special craft of my own. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Hahaha love the disclaimer in the beginning...I would totally qualify this as DIY! Believe me, I've seen some blogs bragging about projects wayyy more simple as if they are the greatest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable Valentine's Day gift! I have no idea yet what we're doing for V Day.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    January Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! I have actually seen similar prints (with the heart over the map) on etsy. But you just made me realize that I could make this myself. Why I didn't think to do that is beyond me, so thanks! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, this is so cute! I love the idea of doing homemade Valentine's gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww cute! I just saw a similar DIY and I'm thinking of making it for the bf for V-day! He loves Minnesota, that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! That is way cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, you are the CUTEST! I absolutely love that DIY and I'm sure Chris will too :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg that is so effing CUTE! I would never have thought of something like this! Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's too cute. I might have to get crafty for Valentine's Day this year - we're trying to cut back on the spending since we're taking a big trip in March. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool blog. Interesting posts. ;)
    Nice atmosphere guests with you here on the blog. ;]
    Yours. Have a nice day. !

    Follow me on facebook fanpage and blog
    I'm very concerned about this, please. :)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-another-light/413836138693856

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool this is!!!! A brilliant idea! I think our valentines will need to be thrifty as well with wedding to pay for!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soo cute! I love it! What a great idea for a wedding theme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's a good DIY. And fun - because evreyone always shows their professional tools. And I do my nails with a mechanical pencil - it's all about improvising for whats best. CDs and old card stock make grat paint palettes for sure

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! So clever and super charming :) Now that our budget is so tight, I may have to go the handmade route. Thanks for posting!

    Sylvia
    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun project! Great idea too :)
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. i absolutely love this project!! what a great DIY, so do-able and personable too and that makes a great gift in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love it! last year was the first year I decorated for valentine's day and I'm glad I did it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am loving this idea. I probably will be stealing it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is TOO CUTE! i love it! that's awesome you guys make stuff for one another. businesses have made it so commercial. this has more meaning. great post.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love this!!!!!!!! DARLING!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your DIY projects. Easy, delightful and unique. You need to sell these!!! I wish I loved my state the way you loved your. So sweet!! Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete