Friday, November 30, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): senior discount





sweater ~ Dots
jeans ~ Target
boots ~ vintage, thrited (covertly)
head scarf ~ vintage, thrifted
ring ~ F21

i went to Savers (a thrift store) on tuesday evening because i wanted to stock up on mitt
ens for the kids. they are always losing theirs at school, and instead of paying $20 for a new pair that i know they will probably lose, i spend $3 on a gently used pair (or two or three) so we have back-up. you can't not have back-up during a minnesota winter. but i digress...

i was at savers, looking at boots...because before i even get to the mittens section, i have to see if there are any vintage boots (there were). i was quietly browsing the boot section when an older woman came over to me and inquired about the exchange policy...
"do you know what their exchange policy is?"
"no, i'm sorry, i don't."
"well i do. and they won't give you credit...you have to buy an equal or larger amount than what you are exchanging. and i have $20 to exchange, but only $12 worth of merchandise to buy."
"oh that's too bad."
"so here's what i'm thinking. it's senior discount day, so why don't you shop for a bit and find what you're looking for, and you can pretend to be my granddaughter, and i will buy all of your items at a discount."
"er...ok."

so off she sent me to shop a bit more. i browsed the shoe section, and happened upon these boots in the men's section. (it turns out i am a size 6 men's. holla!) i didn't want to keep her waiting too long, because normally i can wander that store for at least an hour, so i just grabbed what was in my cart, plus the cowboy boots, and she and i went to hide behind a rack to count money.

there we were, very bond-like, adding up my merch and figuring out the discount. cash exchanged hands and off we went to the register. she was so cute at the register, whispering to me like we were school girls breaking all the rules. she giggled a few times and sshh-ed me a few more. in the end, i got my $25 worth of stuff for $15 and she exchanged all of her items with no trouble.

of course i ruined the covert mission when she hugged me goodbye and i said, "it was nice to meet you".

i would be a horrible spy.

have a great weekend, everyone!!
xo,
megan bird

34 comments:

  1. i think the headband made the outfit! cute but ethic headband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! What a great story! I wish I'd run into old ladies who wanted to buy me stuff at the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah that's hilarious! I wish I had your luck!
    You look so fantastic and cozy in this look!

    Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving that slightly oversized sweater - so cozy and chic!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little lady to approach you and offer! That was awesome :) And OMG SAVERS, I miss Savers!! Those boots were a great find.

    Hope you have a great weekend filled with many thrift store trips and glasses of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omyword! how awesome! your lucky day! :) LOVE the boots, and I am currently obsessed with black and white stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah you just hit the thrifty jackpot lol. How sweet of her to share :)

    ps. I would have ruined the moment and told my "grandma" it was great to meet her too lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story totally cracked me up!! Way to be sneaky thrifters :) And those boots are totally worth an attempt at espionage :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You might be a horrible spy, but you would certainly would be a stylish one. :)

    xo,
    Terry

    http://terrys-two-cents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha that is hilarious! Love that she got you a discount and the boots are super cute!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Starbucks + Ad Space Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a cute story! :) and LOVE those boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable story! I love making friends at thrift stores (and I love those boots).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adventures in Thrifting! I love it! That's a great story and it totally worked out in your favor!! You can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Megan! Gotta love thrifting! Always something unexpected. I love this story and your new boots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's hilarious! The boots look like they were a good purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love reading posts like this...thanks for sharing and I love the boots...definitely a great find!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Megan I would have done the same thing!!! Love the sweater from dots. You are right on trend according to my new anthro catalog for Dec. Black and white...I have none in my wardrobe and I can't shop. Boo. Have a great weekend. Love this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww... what a sweet lady. And she hooked you UP with some sweet boots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man, that's such a funny story! You sneaky thrifters, you!
    I didn't even know men's sizes went down to six! I guess they must, I just hadn't seen that before!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a funny story! There are certainly some interesting characters to be found while thrifting - she sounds like one of the best. Love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Megan! ooohh so funny! i loved everything about that story; the intrigue, trust issues, sudden friendship and sense of covert operations. LOL so great. oh and btw, LOVELOVELOVE those boooots! omygoshhhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yay for those jeans. i have the same ones and LOVE them! wore them on thanksgiving :) and how cute is that sweater and those boots.

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that is such an adorable story, what a lovely lady to make friends with, she sounds like a barrel of fun! I love the boots so much and I hope you managed to snaffle plenty of warm mittens too:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet story and funny! Glad you got some good thrifting deals (I need to try a Savers sometime). I totally agree about mittens, even for myself...I don't seem to be able to keep track of them, so I just buy cheap pairs that I can lose :D

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    Check out my GIVEAWAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awwww!! What a great story! AND you look awesome in those boots! I am a size 6 in men's too, I need to remember to check the guys section more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi sweetie!
    Nice outfit, love the boots!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haha such a cute story! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  28. another delightfully true story by megan bird, and her adventures! hooray for boots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. haha this is too funny! but kudos to nice old ladies that get you in on the action haha! love it! & glad im not the only one who checks out the guys section of stores ;D
    xx Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  30. I been so bad at reading blogs lately! This story made my day!!! :) That was awesome, its a win win! This sweater is really cute. Congrats on your new boots! You make me want to stop at Savers on the way home today. :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete