Thursday, November 8, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): semantics




pants ~ b. (a reslae shop)
shoes ~ Go Jane
shirt, headband ~ Target
earrings ~ F21

our son is the master of semantics. he can talk his way out of anything....in such a way that makes you proud of him, even when he's being naughty. he is either going to be a lawyer or a car salesman some day. or president...i'll go with president.

there have been a few instances in the past couple of weeks where he has been naughty. one instance even resulted in us taking his halloween candy away. so of course, the next night, as chris and i were sitting in bed, digging through the vintage pillow case, half full of candy and half full of wrappers, stuffing our faces with the shame of henry's candy naughtiness, henry walked in, and without blinking an eye asked if he could have some of the candy. the conversation went something like this:

~ can i choose something out of there?
~ no, remember, you were naughty...you don't get any candy.
~ well, actually, you said i couldn't have any candy.
~ yep.
~ but i noticed that i got some fruit snacks and a bag of pirate's booty. and a pencil. so can i have those?
~ but, but, wha?
~ you said i couldn't have candy. those things aren't candy.

and what could we do? he was right. and more importantly, he was clever. i feel that cleverness should always be rewarded.

and then just the other day, when i kissed them as they were going to school, i said to them both, "have a good day, be good at school today!" like i do every day.

and when i picked them up from school, henry was being a little jerk, talking back to me and not listening to what i was trying to tell him. so when we got home and he asked chris to roll him up like a burrito (something that the kids and chris love to do). i said no...because he was naughty. and this conversation happened:

~ but papa promised me last night that he would roll me up like a burrito tonight.
~ well when i said goodbye to you, you promised me that you would be good today. and you weren't.
~ actually, mama, i promised that i would be good at school. and i was good at school. it was after school that i was naughty.
~ but, but, wha?

he had me again. that kid might not ever remember where he put his shoes five minutes ago, but he will always remember a conversation that will help him win an argument. he must have learned that from me.

xo,
megan bird

 ps. now, when i kiss the kids goodbye before school, i say "be good today." and drop the 'at school' part. moms can be clever, too.


33 comments:

  1. So great that you chose to use a fun colorful shoe instead of a basic black one...definitely gives the outfit a nice pop of color :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! You gotta give it to him, the boy is smart!
    And those shoes, with those trousers - not just smart - genius! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, he is good. That deserves at least a pencil and some pirate booty. Really enjoyed this one. How about you and Chris in bed going thru the vintage pillowcase...love that. I finally took the extra halloween candy to work for the seniors, we had 3 kids come to the house. We usually don't get a lot but I prepared with a 70 piece bag knowing that i would eat a lot of it. Great color and fit on your cargo pants from B's. Shoes, headscarf (which you wear so well) and earrings are perfect accessories. dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! He is destined for the presidency. And you can be the most fashionable first mom ever.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love love LOVE YOUR HEELS! Holy cute :) And your headband :) You are too cute! Happy Friday EVE! :)

    xoxo,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the outfit, cool & casual with a pop of fun color!

    And oh goodness, my oldest is the same with clever, honest arguments. All I can do is concede at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am loving those earrings, the headband and of course those shoes
    super cool look
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the bohemian vibe of the hair scarf and big earrings! I love kids when they're all sneaky and clever. It's awesome! And sometimes annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! Those things sound something like things my daughter would say. She is ALL about the loopholes as well.

    Oh, and LOVE the shoes. :)

    xo,
    Terry

    http://terrys-two-cents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL this totally reminds me of my younger son Conner. LOL He can almost get out of anything I swear. It means he's smart and thinks out of the box. I love your trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, yep! He has a gift it sounds like! Clever little guy!!

    I love your shoes, as I always do! I think you need to go shoe shopping with me, for real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHAHA! He is something else! He should definitely run for President. LOL Cute outfit and I love your heels.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.... that is an amazing kid you have there! He's got politician written ALL over him! :-)
    And lurv the bright orange shoes with the neutral-ish colors in the outfit. AND those earrings are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... ha-ha your son is going to be president, lawyer or car sales men some day. VERY cleaver child you got there. LOVE these shoes!! :) This outfit is adorable.

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Orange shoes! And I am intrigued by the burrito game. This sounds like something my dad would do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always have the sweetest and funniest stories about your kids and experiences being a mom. I can totally relate! Love the pop of orange with your heels. They are awesome!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahahaha! xD Oh man, your son is trouble! That is so hilarious though. What a smartie pants.
    Anyway, love that headwrap and the bright orange heels :D

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  18. go mom! he reminds me of when in came home with an F on my midterm. i said, "you don't reward me for my A's, so you can't punish me for my F's." my mom was floored too. i wasn't as smart as your son though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, wow, he's a smart and clever cookie! Love your colorful pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, "... and a pencil" HAHHA, hilarious! Loving your amazing bright heels!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  21. he is clever!! love the bright shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha smart kids will get you every time! Loving the orange shoes.

    NLxx
    www.my-changing-room.com

    Little giveaway on my blog this week - ends Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha! This is really funny. Your son is one smart little firecracker! GBear sometimes blows my mind with her ability to NOT engage in semantics -- which is to say, if she's not allowed to play with a toy nearby until she finishes her dinner (she's a dawdler), she'll pick up some other object, like a crayon or something, look at it, look up, and go "You said I couldn't play with my TOY until I finished dinner. And this isn't a toy. *HUGE SIGH* But I know what you meant." (puts it down and keeps eating).

    I'll be sitting there all flabbergasted and impressed, like she had the whole conversation with herself. Are they teaching her this kind of implied logic in kindergarten? Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is pretty cute, and I totally agree with you...cleverness should definitely be rewarded :) LOVE the pop of color your shoes add to that outfit...so fun!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha ha, that's brilliant!!!! Some of the kids at school are really good at arguing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your outfit, especially the head scarf and bright shoes! And cute story :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ummm I could learn a thing or two from him. LOL! I can't even imagine trying to outwit him. And you're right, that kind of logic is going to earn him money one day. ;)

    Oh, and I love your outfit! Those shoes are so fun and the perfect pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh gosh! Henry is a wiseacre lol! I love it :)

    Love your top! Is it a recent purchase? I need it in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your shoes are amazing! I wish I could wear shoes like that. Low back pain prevents me from wearing heels much. I still cheat sometimes :) You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lol what a cutie! Sounds like something I would have said to my mom as a youngster. Love those pants and your bright orange heels!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ya Megan, I will go will "President". hahahaha. What a kid you have. I do admire his communication skills.

    ReplyDelete