Monday, November 26, 2012

inspiration monday: holiday card, take two

the inspiration
mary kate olsen
megan bird



flannel ~ thrifted
leggings ~ TJ Maxx
booties ~ Target
earrings ~ F21
necklaces, vintage, thirifted and gift from sister

nora bird



plaid shirt ~ vintage, thrifted
blue shirt ~ F21
jeans ~ thrifted
shoes ~ Sam Edelman, gift
necklaces ~ assorted

we took our holiday card picture this weekend. we try every year, both on april fool's day and christmas, to make fun and original cards. and by every year, i mean the last two years. last year, we did a mad men sort of card (you can see it here) and the kids did funny pictures for april fool's day (you can see them here and here). anyways, this year, we tried to outdo last year's card. i don't think we did, but as soon as we send them out, i will post it here and you can all be the judge.

the point of my story isn't whether or not we outdid last year's card (we didn't), but to tell you how ridiculous i was while making this card. you see, on thursday morning, we knew it was going to be warm for most of the day, and then would get cold for the rest of the weekend year, so i wanted to get the card done on thursday. i got everyone dressed, all of our hair and makeup done, the whole shebang set up outside, and we snapped about 20 pictures. i could tell as we were taking the pictures that i wasn't going to love them, and i didn't. but, it was starting to get cold, and i chose the best of the 20 and sent it to my sisters for comments. my youngest sister emailed back and said, "bjorn (her husband) looked at the pic and said, 'daaaaammn, megan's got a booty!'" and i knew, that coming from him, that was a compliment, but by the time i read this, we were just coming off two thanksgiving dinners, and i wasn't feeling so great about my booty. so saturday morning, we braved the cold, redid all of our hair and makeup, i changed my outfit, and we took 20 more pictures. thankfully, i liked these ones a lot better, and i sent them off to target for printing. 

i know it sounds crazy, but sometimes i'm a bit crazy. i know i can't be the only one....right?

inspmon_XJdT71_zpscbf30840

xoxo,
two birds

30 comments:

  1. Such cute & cozy outfits! LOVE the Madmen card from last year - can't wait to see this year's :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. both such cute looks! Megan those booties are awesome x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh sweetie, you are not the only one! Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I definitely would have re-taken them if I wasn't completely happy with them! Cold or not, you need the best pic for a holiday card :) I'm sure they came out fantastic and I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see how they turn out - and I would've re-done them until my family was ready to kill me if I didn't love them! I'm with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I'm anxious to see what you did, cause you always do interesting things! And you have cute kids too, so that always helps! :)

    Love both of your cozy looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see your booty! Yup! Its in the 4th photo and its high and tight. Love your layered necklaces and your skin and hair look extra pretty today. Nora as soon as I scrolled down I loved how you layered the two shirts. Why didn't I think of that? Extra redit for cuteness! Love both looks! Can't wait to see your card!! Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nora, credit not redit!!! Laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see your booty! Yup! Its in the 4th photo and its high and tight. Love your layered necklaces and your skin and hair look extra pretty today. Nora as soon as I scrolled down I loved how you layered the two shirts. Why didn't I think of that? Extra redit for cuteness! Love both looks! Can't wait to see your card!! Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  10. A booty is a good thing! I'd like one to keep my jeans up! ;-)
    You both look nice and cozy today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the Mad Men card came out so I can't wait to see this years! I am so critical of photos that I definitely would've retaken them too if I wasn't happy with them.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw your past cards are so cute! I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. did you both plan on rocking blue in the inspiration or did great minds think a lot again? it's funny & totally cool, how in sync you both are, don't ya think? and no, i don't think you're crazy, but maybe i might be. ;) i will link up my outfit later, as soon as i edit my photos, whenever that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your last card was really cute. I'm sure this year's looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute! I'm basically obsessed with plaid/flannel/gingham shirts, so I adore these looks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. megan- i am dieing over those booties!!
    nora- i am a big fan of the double shirt look
    i wasn't so sure about this look, but it turned out to be fun and a one of my favs
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  17. Megan... THE COLOR OF YOUR PLAID SHIRT is amazing!!!! And Nora I love your booties :) :) :) And you thrifted that plaid shirt?! Great find!

    xoxo,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the casual look you gals have going on here. Glad you liked the second set of pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. family holiday cards are a riot to shoot! hahaha you guys are good at only having to take 20. i use to have to take 100! lol glad you got the right shot! i love a great looking plaid! love both of your shirts and accessories.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. the april fools day cards are adorble. and your holiday shoot from last year was great too! really i cant wait to see this years. and i love both of your takes on this outfit - either olsen twin is always so adorably dressed so they are just great inspiration
    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails // shabby apple gift card giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no! holiday pictures can be tricky but I'm sure yours came out great. I love the way both of you wore the plaid shirts. I'm all about my flannels and have been rocking them daily lately.
    xoxo
    Megan
    a ray of sun

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh I'm sure both set of pictures were perfect! I love both of your takes on this outfit! I'm linking up this time - but mine is more of a loose interpretation haha :)

    Life etc

    ReplyDelete
  23. this was so much fun. i loved doing flannel with some girly stuff! happy belated thanksgiving, ladies!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. cute very looks! hope you both had a great holiday xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love a oversized flannel with leggings - and those leopard booties from Tarjay are just too cool! And no, you aren't the only one.... why are we always so critical of ourselves? We should leave our poor booties alone :)

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  26. your last year card were so cute. Can't wait to see this year.

    ReplyDelete
  27. can't wait to see your christmas cards! megan - you could pull off any pair of shoes - so cute! love both the flannels!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love both your tops and the jewelry you added! Megan those shoes are super cute! Those mad men inspired photos are stunning! Love it. Can't wait to see these ones.
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love Megan´s shoes and Nora´s shirt, both look amazing! kisses chris

    ReplyDelete
  30. Adorable! I have yet to dig the plaid again...not since high school. Perhaps I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete