Monday, November 19, 2012

inspiration monday: happy birthday, nora bird

the inspiration
jenna dewan-tatum
megan bird



jeggings ~ H&M
sweater ~ thrifted
shirt ~ TJ Maxx
necklace ~ b. (a resale shop)
boots ~ vintage, thrifted
hat ~ thrifted
sunglasses ~ thrifted
earrings ~ F21

nora bird






sweater~ F21
scarf~ H&M
shirt~ b. (a resale shop)
jeans~ thrifted
boots~ Restricted, gift

some of you may already know that nora and i come from a family of five girls. we are oddly similar and very different all at the same time. most peole find it annoying to be around all of us at the same time because we are one big inside joke after another when we get together. and we are loud, and we think we are super funny (we are), and we think we should be in a band, a reality tv show, etc., etc. basically, we are a family. we talk and email every day...a lot. the other day, our little sister emailed us and said, "between the hour i was done with the gym and went to work, I had 43 emails from you guys." that's how we roll. most emails are ridiculous, and most have the subject line "LOL", but that's besides the point....like i said, we are a family. a close family.

growing up, we were not as close. i am four years younger than our oldest sister, and six years older than nora. i was kind of the odd one out. after nora, there were two more within two years. my older sister and i, and even our mom, called them "the littles"...we still do sometimes, even though our youngest sister is 29. so i did a lot of babysitting and caretaking (and maybe a little torturing) of the littles. we were close, but more in a mom/child way than in a sister/sister way.

i'm not sure when it happened or how it happened, but at some point, we all grew up and became best friends. i know that when i throw a party, it will never be a disappointment because there will be at least five cool people there (10 if you count husbands) (12 if you count mom and dad) (20 if you count the kids). i know if i ever need a laugh, i can definitely count on my sisters, and if i ever need to cry, i can count on at least three of them...the youngest gets uncomfortable when people cry, which is unfortunate because i cry all the time. they are a great group of gals, whom i am lucky to have in my life.

so, to nora, whom i have been a big sister to the longest, happy birthday. i have changed your diapers, babysat you, made you dinners, bribed you for back rubs, tricked you to get me things when i was a lazy teenager, gave you rides on my feet when you were a fat toddler, and then started a business and a blog with, had many a fun nights with, had many a long mommy talks with, had many a beers with, and an all around great time with. i love you and hope you have the bestest of birthdays!!

to everyone else, have the bestest of mondays!

inspmon_XJdT71_zpscbf30840

xoxo,
two birds

48 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Nora! it must be really cool to have sisters. I have a brother and I never wanted to borrow any of his clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, happy birthday Nora! Your family sounds amazing, and I love that you guys have email chains - so fun! You both look so cute and cozy in those outfits :)

    Anni
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I had no idea you guys had more siblings! I only have one sister but this post totally made me miss her. Happy birthday Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cozy look! I love love love skinnies, boots and scarves!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Nora<3
    http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading about your family dynamic! It's so cool that you have four built-in best friends with your sisters. Since I only have a younger brother, it was fun and interesting to read about the family dynamic with five girls. My brother and I were the other way around--since we were less than 2 years apart, we were really close when we were younger; but when I went off to college, we kind of grew apart. We still get along; we're just not BFFs.

    Happy Monday and happy birthday, Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoyed reading about your family--it sounds like a fun one to be part of! I grew up as an only child and I enjoyed it, but I'm sure I would have loved (and hated) having sisters as well. Anyway, you two are adorable, as usual. Happy birthday Nora!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this cosy layered style! Have a great week:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Nora! I loved this post :) I feel the same way about my family - though we are much smaller and I only have one sister. Every time we get together it's super loud and we tell (crass) jokes to each other. I love it! And my sister and I never got along growing up but now she is my rock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy birthday to nora! what a blessing sisters are! and so glad you guys are so close now! hope you have a wonderful day nora!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwww...thanks, big sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You both look awesome and I want your boots!! I am happy to hear that you guys are so close! I am the oldest in my family, I have 3 younger brothers, so I am jealous of all of this sisterly love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Nora! I love that you all have such a close knit group of sisters (speaking as someone with just a brother, who is 6 years younger).

    And Megan, I'm dying over your amazing boots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, Nora!! That is so sweet that all of you are so close. Now I want to see a family photo :) I have 1 sister and we're also 6 years apart.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, what a sweet tribute to sisterhood. Happy birthday Nora!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, such a sweet post. I love how much your family loves each other!! I do envy you a bit having grown up an only child (though my parents are crazy awesome, still).

    Anyhoo, happiest of birthdays to Nora bird!! And as usual, you both look fantastic!

    PS - Megan, I saw jeggings at H&M this weekend for 9.00 so I was like "score!" and then they didn't have my size. Womp womp.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to you Nora, hope you had a fantastic weekend!

    Okay, I am coming up there sometime (in summer) so I can have a fun wardrobe too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday!

    I love the outfits - they look so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NORA! :) :) :) Hope it is amazing!

    I am loving this look in general and how both of you rocked it! Megan... those boots!!!! and Nora... your scarf... drooling over here :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. megan and nora! hi! you two sisters are so lucky. i have only one sister and she is so in my heart! you know her, right? (Mary at merrydotdandy.com) i think she i following you guys.

    nora: LOVE THE BOOTS! omygawsh!

    megan: i love love love your sweater.

    nora: hope your birthday was happy happy happy.

    megan: great post re your relationship with your sisters! that was great to read, as usual, but not typical.

    both: have a great week with your families!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, so sweet! Happy birthday Nora! I only have one sister but luckily we are only 1.5 years apart! I love the chunky knits on both of you today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awww... Happy Birthday Nora!
    You both look amazing! I kinda wish I was part of your amazing family!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday, Nora! I had a great time celebrating with you on Friday. I hope you have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE both of your outfits, ladies. Happy birthday, Nora!

    xo,
    Terry

    http://terrys-two-cents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday Nora! Both of these outfits are FIERCE! Work it! Love it!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aw. I need to call my sisters. This was such a sweet post! I actually have only one biological sister, but my mom practically adopted my cousin so we call her our sister. We are all within two years of age of each other and always have a ton of fun together. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy birthday, Nora! I love hearing about how close all of you are.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE Megan's sweater, but I'm obsessed with Nora's scarf :) So many good things in one place

    ReplyDelete
  29. My sister and I are 8 1/2 years apart. The age makes it tricky, because we haven't lived in the same house since she was 10. I hope, despite the age gap, that someday we can be as close as you and Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Bday Nora! I'm one of four girls in my family and there are 14 years between my oldest and youngest sister so we were always causing a ruckus. I think you both nailed this outfit look. I love Megan's sweater and wish I had Nora's boots!

    ReplyDelete
  31. aww times infinity :) Happy Birthday Nora Bird! Hope this birthday is the best one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy birthday Nora bird! I hope you have a wonderful day! I love hearing about your family- you sound so fun together! Loving your cosy outfits- you look so snug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Birthday Nora. It funny how family works. Growing up I wasn't all that close with my Oma(grandma). Now I talk to her a couple time a week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the inspiration photo and I love how you both recreated the look!

    http://www.daisyraeboutique.com
    http://www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cute, both of you! I love the socks with the tights, I'll have to try that. And happy happy birthday Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  36. obsessed with that chunky oversized cream cardigan! it's perfection!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy birthday Nora! This was such a sweet post...that's so great that you all are as close as you are!

    Jess - J's Style
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy birthday Nora!! Sounds like you sisters have tons of fun! I have 2 sisters and we didn't always get along either but the older we get the closer we become :) Love what you both came up with you look so cozy! Megan I want to steal your big lovely sweater!!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy birthday Nora! I hope you had a fantastic birthday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy Birthday, Nora! Your family sounds so fun, I've always wanted to have at least one sister!

    xo Ashley
    http://www.ashnfashn.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. awww. :) happy birthday nora! i think you both look better than the inspiration. rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  42. cozy chic! i'd love to get that chunky oversized sweater. :)

    by the way, happy birthday to nora! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi ladies, I tried to leave a message on monday but when I pushed send or some other button, my message got deleted...sorry. I got frustrated and clicked off. It was a good one too. Anyway Happy belated birthday Nora. You are an amazing, sweet, thoughtful, beautiful, stylish, woman. Megan your sweater, socks, boots and hat are awesome and you should be an etsy model...seriously this is such a great look on you. Nora you layer so beautifully and everything just flows off your body. Both beauties. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete