Friday, October 26, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): red handed




flannel ~ thrifted
jacket ~ thrifted
hat ~ thrifted
leggings, earrings ~ Kohls
boots ~ Alloy

yesterday morning, a friend of a friend was teaching a workout class at my kids' school gym. he is from TRX, and it sounded interesting, so i decided to check it out. i fell asleep on wednesday night without thinking about getting ready for the class ahead of time (the class was at 5:15 am). at about 11:30 pm on wednesday night, i woke up and realized that i needed to pay the instructor $10. the problem was that i didn't have any cash, and at 5:15, it's a pretty limited selection of where you can find an available atm in our neighborhood. i expressed my concerns to chris and he said, "take the money out of henry's bank...you can pay him back after the class."

i'm not a parent who would normally steal from my child, but i figured that by the time class was over, i could head to the grocery store, take out some money, and have henry's stolen loot replaced before he even woke up. so, i fell back asleep, content with our plan.

5 am arrived and the alarm went off. i had 15 minutes to get dressed, brush my teeth, steal from my son and get to the school. i got dressed and quietly snuck into henry's room. and then i remembered his bank. his mean, mean bank. it's one of those banks that makes a super loud "brrrring" sound when you put money into it. it was great when he was younger...he always wanted to deposit, and not withdraw, money from his bank because of this fabulous, musical noise. but as the years passed, his piggy bank became faulty, and every time you even breezed past it, it would "brrrring" loudly...like the car alarms of old that would beep beep beep any time the wind blew.

so here i am, a grown woman, sneaking into my son's room to steal money from him – and this damn bank is singing like a canary, letting the whole family know that i am stealing from my own son! and the worst part...he only had about 96¢ in his bank.

so i did what i had to...i somehow found five dollar bills laying around, and then i went into our change jar and pulled out five dollars in quarters. it's exercise dedication when you pay someone in change. and 100% class.

when i told henry about it after the class was over, i asked him why he didn't have any cash in his bank. he informed me that he, in fact, hides the bills. i guess i can't say i blame him.

happy friday!

xo,
megan bird

39 comments:

  1. that is beyond dedication especially for a class SOOO early! i'm impressed! and love this fall outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!! too funny! Love the flannel and boots! Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! That is one smart kiddo! Props to you for your exercise class dedication. I would have totally bailed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we thought alike with the beanies today :) great outfit! and you are so awesome for being so dedicated to your class :)

    Meghan
    citrusrefreshingfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. great flannel!! that bright blue is so pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter hides her money from me too - she's had to learn to.:) You pull off that hat beautifully, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I love this story so much. The fact that he hides his bills is priceless!

    Love your outfit... flannel is my best friend and that beanie is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww... you look so sweet! adore your shirt!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so cozy and I love your boots! I keep spare cash under one of the cushions of one of my chairs and in the ashtray of my car for times when I need $ but don't have time to go to an ATM. I always get nervous when people sit in the chair, that they'll move and $20 will fall out and I'll have to explain that I'm like an old lady with $ under the mattress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha what a great story! And the blue flannel and gray boots are amazing together :)

    www.lindseymphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ROFL. I never have enough cash on me, I'm usually scrounging around for it too.

    I love this outfit - thank you for convincing me that the outfit idea I have for leggings and a flannel will work. I haven't been bold enough to try it yet, but I might have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Megan - that was a hilarious take down. A smart Henry you got there (he ain't no fool). Guess what? Your comments went into my spam folder again today. Do you happen to know why or what I can do to get that to stop? I am just as puzzled as the next guy. hmmmmmm. I mean no one is warned their comment are spammed, right? I will try to see on my end why that is happening. doh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! You have the best stories :) :) :) Too funny! I never have cash either... I am usually harassing people at work to borrow a quarter here or there when the card machines are down on the vending machines just so I can get my caffeine for the day :)

    FALL OUTFIT PERFECTION! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! And you look amazing in that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a funny story! Hey, sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. You have a smart boy for sure hiding his bills :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute outfit. And that is such a funny story. Your son is one step ahead of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is TOTAL dedication. I would have given up :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHA well good job making it to your class! I probably would have used that as an excuse! :) Thats really funny though, I love when you tell stories about you children! :)

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg, this is the funniest story! Haha, your son is so smart. Love your outfit! Have a great weekend!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahahaha! That is hilarious! Your son is a smart boy! Glad you made it to class!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great casual look. LOVE the boots.

    xo,
    Terry

    http://terrys-two-cents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bright blue brightens it all up, the boots are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely dedicated!

    I adore your boots; grey boots = heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that henry is very smart. you should be so proud. this whole outfit is casual, comfortable, & stylish. i call that a triple win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lol wow you were really determined! I probably would have just gone back to sleep, ha! Smart Henry hiding his bills! And I love this flannel top. I've been wanting to incorporate some flannel in my wardrobe lately. Love the beanie too!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great comfy fall look! I love everything about it: the gingham shirt, the denim jacket, the grey boots! And that's a funny story. It's not stealing if you're going to put it right back -right? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the bright blue against your dark outfit. Those boots are awesome too! :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool story and smart Henry! I love your look, especially your boots and denim jecket!
    have a great weekend!
    xx chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE that blue shirt, so gorgeous and bright <3

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds exactly like something that would happen to me! I have often thought about taking money from my five-year-old's piggy bank, but I just can't do it (yet)!!

    I love this casual outfit- what brand are the leggings from Kohl's?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love those boots! I've been trying to find a pair of gray boots :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. There was more than one person I had in mind when I glued my son's piggy bank shut. Hehe. Your son sounds very wise... :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Megan! I would totally wear this combo. Great hat and boots. Really pretty photos! This type hat was made for you! Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the skirt! Perfect outfit!

    Gorgeous blog! Following on Bloglovin! Hope you'll follow me back! <3

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! Sending love from New York City, hope you are well. Please follow me! & like me on Facebook! If you have bloglovin, we should follow each other!
    xox
    Janicethitran.blogspot.com
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. super cute - love your hat and boots!
    thanks for visiting my blog :)

    -Carol
    http://declarationofcaptivation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. haha that is so funny! You really do have so much dedication towards exercising, I wish I had did too! I love the jean jacket and the cute beanie. I've always wanted one!

    ReplyDelete