Thursday, October 4, 2012

new loves and old friends: routine




old friends
sweater~ vintage, thrifted
new loves
dress and belt~ H&M
boots~ Steve Madden
sunglasses~ Target

i am a stay-at-home mom, so i don't have a regular job with a regular schedule. being able to stay home with my kids is wonderful and i feel so lucky to be able to do so. it is definitely not for everyone but it works for our family and i love it. but just because i don't have a job outside of the home doesn't mean that i don't like to have a certain routine and to keep a schedule every day. i love having a routine. it keeps me sane. it helps ensure that i get done all that needs to be done throughout the day. i also think a daily schedule is good for my kids. i believe they thrive on a routine. obviously there are days when it doesn't work. kids are unpredictable. and some days it is definitely nice that i don't have to worry about a schedule and can stay in my pajamas and play all day. but on a good day i like to wake up, make breakfast, get us all dressed and out the door (this is often the hardest part of my day), go to the gym, run errands if we need to, get home and play and have lunch, get the kids down for a nap, hopefully shower (this one is often tough with a newborn!), clean around the house, get laundry done, hopefully get a little time to myself (usually emailing my sisters and reading blogs), get to the park or somewhere fun once the kids wake up, and get home and make dinner before jim gets home. if all of this happens, i am a happy camper. if even most of it happens, i feel pretty good. and since ben has been around, almost none of this has been happening...until this week! i think we are finally getting it down and getting back into the swing of things and for this i am so happy. things had been starting to feel a bit crazy and i was frightened that i was never going to figure out this two kid thing. but this week things seem to be falling into place. obviously, i am still figuring it all out and it is not perfect, but getting back into a routine after seven weeks of craziness feels really really good. *huge sigh*

how about you? do you follow a daily routine or do you like to just go with the flow and see what happens?

xoxo, nora bird

24 comments:

  1. great look! yes I need the routine for a majority of the time otherwise i dont think i would ever get anything done LOL xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your boots! Fall is such a fun season for layering and boots.

    Routine is key for weekdays. There's no flying by the seat of our pants in my house unless it's the weekend. I would go crazy if it were any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those who thrive on routine as well, it is really what keeps me going. Live your pixie cut and that sweater looks so comfy:) such a hot mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very routine gal and I don't even have kids yet. I am so Type A, I like to stick to a schedule! I think if I would do so if I was home every day too. I'm glad you're back into a routine!

    Love that dress with the dots! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely a routine follower and if something happens to throw me out of my routine, I get flustered and my whole day is messed up. You look super cute in this outfit, love the sweater! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous you get to stay home with your kids even though I know that's a full time job! Live the pattern mixing and the leggings with the boots look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sweater and boots:) I'm a SAHM also but as my kids have got older our routine went out the window! Now I just go with the flow and hope for the best:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your new dress and belt :) And I think that whatever the routine is it has to work for you :) I try to be on a routine, but honestly I live from day to day. Some days I sleep in until 8 a.m. other days I am up at 6:30 a.m. and actually have time to make coffee and curl my hair. But this is kind of how I live and is my own form of a routine ;)

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been having a really hard time getting into a routine! I've worked full-time since college so quitting 2 months ago to be a SAHM has left me feeling a little . . . lost. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sweater is so cute! I want one! and I am so far from a go with the flow person! I hope to be a stay at home mom some day but know that I would need a routine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely have a routine. I'd go crazy without it. I think it makes the kids happier too - they know what to expect.

    Can I just say... you'd never know you just had Ben. You look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looove those boots, so cute! I enjoy having a routine during the week too.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Chicnova Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! It takes some adjustment when you have more kiddos, that's for sure. I hate to say it, but it seems like every year there is a new adjustment for mine and they are not babies anymore! You lose the naps and the diapers and the feedings, but you gain parent teach conferences and homework and football practice and gymnastics. But it all pays off in the end. You are very lucky to be able to stay home with your kiddos.

    I love your neutral look today! Those boots are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woo! I am a total fan of routine and I'm glad yours is settling down! When I watch my not-quite-one year old nephew for a few hours, I'm exhaused - so I can't imagine two! Love the cute dark layers today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i like to think i have a routine, and then God decides to throw in a monkey wrench and it's all thrown off. therefore, i like to just go with the flow most of the time.

    you look fab, girl. the pattern mixing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This entire ensemble is fantastic! It looks so cute on you and it looks really comfortable. You should be the 'inspiration monday' sometime. hahahaha. don't tell megan. (no she could be, too)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE the pattern mixing going on here! Fantastic! It looks chic and comfortable, and easy to move around in, without looking too "soccer mom" or frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those boots, and I can't get over your hair! It is so spunky and darling, especially with that little headband, awwwz :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so like you...couldn't stand my day without routine! I mean every once in a while it's fun to step out for a day and "do nothing"...but honestly, I'd go nuts without a scheduled sequence of events, haha. I admire you for being a stay at home mom, that's such hard work and so much love for your babies :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVED seeing this look in person!
    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. i always thought being a stay at home mom would be a bit crazy - i remember hanging out with my neighbors (she was a stay at home mom with three kids....plus me :D but i was older so i baby sat a lot) and how difficult it was to do all of things for all of them (different sports, etc...cooking...dealing with the dog)

    anyhow i LOVE the polka dot / stripes combo going on here

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  22. holy fantastic outfit nora! routine? what's that? i'm kidding, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think a routine is so important to kids. It's definitely what keeps my classroom sane!

    ReplyDelete