Tuesday, September 25, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): a glimpse into my brain




jeggings ~ Marshalls
shoes ~ Target
shirt, necklace ~ Kohls
bracelets ~ garage sale
sunglasses ~ ?

i'm going to give you a small glimpse into my crazy brain..my crazy, crazy, rationalizing brain.

chris and i began this morning tradition a few weeks ago where he drives me to work and we stop to get a coffee. i love this tradition ~ we get to spend a little alone time together, we get to have a great cup of coffee, i get to see my kids off to school, and i don't have to take the bus every morning. the only problem is that even though i only order a regular coffee (which is still over $2), chris gets some fancy hot press with white chocolate every time; so in total, every morning, we are spending at least $7 on just coffee. that doesn't seem like a lot, but over the course of a month, that can get expensive. plus, keep in mind that i am the person who thinks $5 is a lot of money to spend on any item of clothing (thrift shopping will get you in that mindset), so $7 for coffee seems quite ridiculous to me.

anyways, we decided that if we were going to buy good coffee every morning, we should just bite the bullet and get a really good coffee maker. when you think about it, for a month's worth of coffee shop coffee, we could buy a nice coffee maker. so on sunday, i packed the kids up and we went to kohls to look for a coffee maker. i found the one i wanted, and it was on sale for $130. great deal, no? and then as i was walking around, i saw a bissell easy sweep that i wanted on clearance, so i grabbed that as well. then i started thinking to myself, "self, why not open a kohls charge card and save 20% on all of these items?" so i decided right then and there that i would open a charge card. 

as soon as i decided that, i also decided that i should walk around the store just to take a peek at what kinds of cute clothes and jewelry i could find (i literally left the line we were waiting in to pay). because if i'm opening a card and i am getting 20% off everything, i might as well buy a few more things. i mean, i was prepared to spend $130 on this coffee maker, and since that will only be $104 after the discount, i really have $26 free money to spend. you see how i did that? i talked myself into thinking it was ok to buy more clothes. 

so i headed to the clearance section, found two shirts and a cute new necklace ($8, $6, and $7, respectively) (see shirt and necklace above), which after their discount, would only be $17...really i'm still ahead. so i bought them, guilt free. because if you're going to save 20%, it's better to save 20% on more, rather than less, right?

all in all, i got the coffee maker, the easy sweep, the shirts and necklace all for $130.42...which is $.42 more than i was going to buy the coffee maker for. in my head, everything else i bought besides the coffee maker was free....crazy right? but i'm willing to bet that i am not the only one who thinks this way. am i right? i'd love to hear your rationalizations for buying new things!

xo,
megan bird

ps. as i'm writing this, i am thinking to myself that since i was fully prepared to spend at least $200 on a coffee maker, that means i still have $70 to spend...right?

41 comments:

  1. Haha - I LOVE this line of thinking - that extra stuff was definitely free! And you look so cute in those floral pants :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha good rationale and super cute jeggings! Are we having another meet up? Did I miss the email?

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Pretty much my train of thought every time I go to Target! I love this, and if you ended up only spending a few more cents than you originally planned then I say you wound up with a bargain. :) Kohls is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a seriously good deal!! I'm with you on being cheap. :) LOVE your outfit - you look great in those leggins!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, oh yes, you definitely still have $70.00 to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TOTALLY rational, TOTALLY genius, and I TOTALLY want your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh those pants are so cool, and shoes too :)

    xo



    asteria-sparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved this post because it lets me know that there isn't someone who has a similar way of rationalizing spending, but the EXACT rationalization! if you think about it, we're like the math geniuses of shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I rationalize spending in a similar fashion! And I'm in the market for a new coffee maker too - but I need a small one, my hubby does not drink it. I think I found a nice one at the re-opened World Market though.

    I love this shirt and pants combo! Even better if you consider the shirt as "free"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i do the same thing. this makes perfect sense to me. if i get 200 dollars off my ren,t i have 200 extra dollars to spend! 20 percent off - 5 extra dollars. yeah. i totalllyyyyy get you.

    and i LOVE this outfit - it's very cute with all of it's cool colors

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails // current giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the exact same thing. Your math skill impress me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh the shopping rationalization process. Which always makes sense... To us. Lol. Enjoy your coffee maker. I love the coffee tradition, it sweet and romantic :)

    Also, those printed jeggings. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I truly am fascinated by your logic and you are truly not the only one. I hope the coffee maker is all you were expecting. I think everyone has stories like that some are not willing to admit it. Great post.:) B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha you and I have similar logic, I think. It sounds like you got a great deal! And I love that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! Pretty sure I would've rationalized it the same way. When it comes to new clothes, there's always a way to justify it!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Sept. Group Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  16. That truly makes sense. Whenever I shop at Nordstrom Rack at the bottom of my receipt says how much I saved and on one receipt it says savings of $564, but logic took over and I left the store. DH is also a coffee drinker so every morning I hear him grinding his coffee with a blade grinder then pours it into a drip maker. I think he's a coffee snob. I grew up with Folgers so I'm not that picky.

    Love the colors of the leggings and I can't believe those shoes are from Target. Awesome finds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LMAO! Story of my life sister! I have a Kohl's charge and let me warn you now, that is DANGEROUS. Not only do you get discounts all of the time through mail, email AND in store, but they also reward you with Kohl's cash. You done did good, but beeeeee careful. Love that sparkly top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am TOTALLY with you--that is exactly how my mind works too. And yes, in my mind I'd still have $70 to spend still too, haha!
    Oh and by the way, those pants are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is it possible to share the same brain? I'm pretty sure that ours work the exact same way. I want to buy the iPhone 5, but I can't upgrade until the end of November. I was prepared to spend about $400 this weekend, and now I won't be spending that until I can upgrade. So ... I'm going shopping this weekend to spend the extra $400 that I saved by not buying the iPhone.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are definitely not the only one who thinks this way! I do as well... can be a bad habit, but hey you now have an awesome coffee maker and a super cute shirt! Love those jeggings too :) You will end up saving on the coffee and it will all be worth it!

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  21. HA-Ha I love your way of thinking, I 100% do that as well. OR if something is more expensive but better quality... I do it the the opposite. For example I want to buy this Jcrew shirt for 88 bucks, which to some bloggers its another day in the mall, to me its a VERY big purchase I need to to think about. If I find a like shirt for $25-30... I subtract that by 88 which leads me to $58... that's really what I am spending on the Jcrew shirt right? ha-ha Love the new necklace by they way and your pants!

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Megan I love your outfit, it has a hip edgy joan jett kinda feel. In other words, its hot! Most people who love to shop would do the same thing. I can rationalize anything when it comes to something new. Great story. Dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh you totally got that stuff for free. totally. You really had to "buy" it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG i love those jeggings! my monday inspiration link up (or tuesday inspiration i guess) are printed jeans from marshalls too! they have such great stuff!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Um, how do you think I rationalize my shopping addiction on a daily basis? :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  26. interesting thinking ;)
    the outfit is very cute. I am extremely surprised those items were so cheap!
    If you like it, follow my blog about life and fashion in LA on Bloglovin'. Let me know in the comments and I will follow back ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  27. megan, nice casual, breezy, bombshell outfit! sounds like the american philosophy of stimulating the economy, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohh I love the jeggings and the necklace! This is how I know we're meant to be buddies because I think the same way except its usually at Target. So what coffee maker did you end up with, we dislike our current one greatly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love how you did manage to get all shopping and still stay on budget. I love these pants to adorable. I cave in with the bet and went shopping crazy few days later. Who am I kidding right?

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha... that sounds like something I'd do. I'm really good about sticking to a budget, but if I come in under the expected budget, I feel compelled to find something to spend that extra money on. The way I see it, it's still better than going over budget! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok that was a math problem that I totally understood! Love your rationale lol.

    Im also loving your jeggings and your really awesome hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ha! Loved your comment about thinking $ 5.oo is a lot to spend at a thrift store. Sara and I go through the same sentiment all of the time.

    I recently moved to San Diego where Goodwill never has colored tag sales. EVER! Consider me heartbroken! Have a great night! :) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love those jeans!
    and that is so funny, I do the exact same thing when I shop! I convince myself it's okay to spend more money than I originally planned. *giggles*
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your colorful leggings! I've been wanting to to get some bottoms with a fun print, but haven found anything I like. You look terrific in the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I definitely rationalize my shopping habits, all the time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Haha! Wow! That's a lot of rationalizing! But are you going to miss your coffee shop/husband time?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Haha, I definitely have the same mindset! Good idea getting a new coffee maker - we have a nice one and couldn't live without it. We love our coffee around here :)

    Love those floral jeans - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi dear!
    Love you're blog, follow u :)

    My name in GFC is: sexy_paige_cucu.
    Hope u follow back!

    Lot of kisses,
    http://universeofmyshoes.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  39. your pants are amazing! i like to mentally bargain with myself as well, i would have done the same thing. i'm a new follower, hope you follow back! xx sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  40. Loving your jeggins! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  41. And your rational is perfect. I do it all the time. In fact I just bought myself more maternity clothes with the rationale that "I might not need them now, but I will later and they are on clearance right now. So, I'm really saving money, right? Right."

    ReplyDelete