Thursday, August 16, 2012

penny-finching: redecorating my house (and then some)

i mentioned on tuesday that i redecorated my whole house while chris was out of town. maybe i exaggerated when i said whole house, but i did bring in eight new pieces of furniture and two new rugs, so that counts for something, right? i also pretty much destroyed my back trying to carry it all in the house by myself. i'm not very smart like that...but the end result was some great stuff, so it was worth it. oh, and did i mention that i came out making more money than i spent??? that's the way to do it. so now, even if chris didn't like the new items (he did), he couldn't really complain because i came out ahead!!

so, without further adieu, here is what i got.

mid-century kitchen table
i got this table off of craigslist. i didn't need it, but i wanted some old vinyl chairs for our dining room. and since the table and chairs were only $40 total, i decided to keep the table. i then sold our old table on craigslist for $75. see, i'm already ahead by $35.

mid-century vinyl chairs (6)
here are the matching chairs. i think they look lovely with our antique depression library dining table. and i'm still ahead $35!


West Elm 5X8 chevron wool rug
since we're in the dining room already, i might as well show you the new (to us) West Elm chevron rug i bought at a garage sale. it was $5. yes, you read that right, $5. i didn't need a rug, didn't know where i would put it as i was buying it – but when i see a West Elm chevron rug for $5, i buy it. (i just looked this up by the way, they sell new for $279.) now i'm still up $30.


vintage etched mirror
i have this hanging in our bedroom right now. i took it down for pictures, mainly because i didn't want to clean the part of my room that you would see in the mirror's reflection as i took the picture. some day i will clean my room and show it to you, just not today! i also plan on incorporating this mirror in our wedding decor...so i had to buy it, right? it was also only $2, so i had to, had to buy it! still up $28.

two strands of outdoor lights
these are also for the wedding. and then for our back yard. after the wedding, we are going to have the most fantastic back yard. i can't wait! i got both strands for $4 total. we're now at +$24.

mustard oxfords
i know, i said i redecorated the house. you probably didn't think i'd throw in a pair of oxfords. but they were $2 and my size. i had to get them. plus, i'm still up $22, so it's ok!

Levi's chambray skirt
the same goes for this skirt. it was my size, only $1 and it's chambray. try saying no to that! in case you lost count, i'm still ahead by $21.

awesome chair and another "sheepskin" rug
this chair is my pièce de résistance. when i saw it at the garage sale as we were driving by, i kid you not, my kids (at the same time) said, "not another chair, mama!" they know my weekness for chairs. i collect them. i try to do one in-one out, at least. so i said to the kids, "well, let's just go and see how much it costs." $5. boom. mine. and i had to dress it with another one of 'megan's original homemade "sheepskin" rugs'. yep, i made another one. (except this one is sheep, the other one was bear.) (we really need to come up with a name for someone who makes rugs.) so after the chair, i'm at $16 and the rug cost $10.

if i'm doing my math right (and that's a big if), we got all of this great stuff and i still managed to make $6. not too shabby for one weekend of shopping!

have a great day!
xo,
megan bird

32 comments:

  1. You made more than you spent??!? How is that even possible?
    Love the end result, you've found some really cool goodies xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is amazing!! I LOVE that rug - can't believe it was only $5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA--not another chair mama! That is too funny. But how could you pass that up?? Everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stand in awe of your thriftiness and decorating skillz. Those white chairs are AMAZING. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan Im such a fan! Youre the best thrifter/discount/yard sale shopper ever! Im amazed by your finds...That table and the chevron rug are AMAZING! And yes the yellow shoes count :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t believe you got that rug for $5. I have been looking for a chevron rug FOREVER, and can’t get myself to pay that much for it - i really am pretty envious!! Can you please take me on a shopping adventure with you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah you got some great deals! I am so jealous, everything looks great! I love that you are using some of your wedding decor as home decor too. I am doing that as well and it is really cool to have stuff from your big day in your home everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do my house next??? LOL. I love the deals you find!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chair is amazing Megan! I can't believe you only paid $5 for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds! I love the feel of your house from all you have shown on your blog. There's just something about thrifted pieces -- especially vintage -- that seem alive with past experiences!

    xx
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your thrifty skills are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, you got such great stuff! I love the chevron rug and the chairs! My sofa, recliner, and kitchen table/chairs have all come from Craigslist :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my group giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would consider that redecorating! It all has a great retro feel to it! I especially love that rug.

    I just followed your blog via goggleconnect I would love if you could like my page on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Stylishlyme

    -V
    http://stylishlyme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha I totally know where you're coming from with lugging in furniture finds into the house! That chevron rug is so sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW you did a great JOB!! I need to stop shopping retail... seriously! :)

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaaah, I want a squirrel cushion too!!!!!!!!!! You dd a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5 dollars for that chair?! Holy crap, I need to do some garage sale shopping your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, if only I could duplicate that - I could justify all the shopping I do! Love all your finds. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. next time, bring me with you! You have the karma for all the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am really adoring that chevron rug. Very nice! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. between you and suitcase vignettes - i want a thrifting date!!

    eyeline giveaway if you are so inclined to enter :)

    http://goodiesandbesties.blogspot.com/2012/08/daliia-herbal-kohl-eyeliner-giveaway_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I ever make it up north again can we have a shopping date?!? Those are great finds and I love the vinyl chairs/library table/chevron rug tableau!

    Hmmm, a name for a frugal rug maker.....frugista maybe? =) or frugetella....or (forgetting the frugal part) rugger?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great finds! I'm suuuuuuper jealous of the rug and that chair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. the vinyl chairs you scored are awsome!! they are perfection with the table and that beautiful chevron rug! i love west elm..sadly, they don't ship here!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  25. hooray for still coming out ahead! i think it all looks great! and you know i hate squirrels, but that pink one on the chair is pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like all the chairs in your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. UM. Those chairs and that rug! You are amazing girl.

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  28. I busted out laughing when i read: Boom...mine. I love everything,,,so inspiring as you know you have influenced my decor in many ways. Congratulations Auntie, he is beautiful that little Ben. Dawn suitcase vignettes xo jealous of rug for $5.00 too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whoa, I'm very impressed by the wheeling and dealing and the small glimpses we get of the final effect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do the same thing Megan! When I look around our house, I see so many garage sale items. Some were repurposed, painted or used as is. It makes decorating much more interesting and even better when you know that you got a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's an incredible mirror right there. I gave an old mirror some new life a few years ago, took a trip to UK Tool Centre and bought the kit; then basically quadrupled the value of the mirror for re-sale.

    ReplyDelete