Thursday, August 9, 2012

outfit of the day(bird): sometimes it's fun to be the sober one




 dress ~ thrifted
belt ~ thrifted
shoes ~ Target
necklace ~ Shop in the City
bracelets ~ various, vintage, thrifted
earrings ~ hand-me-downs

i wore this dress out with some friends the other night. they took chris and i out to dinner and then we took them to our favorite dive bar afterwards. typically i need to be fairly tipsy to fully appreciate this dive bar. and seriously, when i say dive bar, i mean it. it's about the size of a boxcar and every single video game, tv, plus the juke box, is plugged into the same outlet. you used to be able to see all the electrical cords, but now they have classed it up by covering them with duct tape.

but this is my kind of bar. i can play whatever i want on the juke box (sometimes it's johnny cash, sometimes it's bob dylan and sometimes it's new kids on the block), and drinks are cheap. plus, when i get all dressed up to go out, and we end up there, i am usually the best dressed person in the bar. (but that's not saying much.) also, when we have to walk there the next day to get our car (drink responsibly), it's only a mile from our house!

saturday night, i still wasn't feeling 100%, so i ended up not getting tipsy, and i was afraid the bar wouldn't be as much fun. but let me tell you, there is something extremely enjoyable about watching other drunk people. i saw lots of men hitting on lots of women wearing sequin baseball hats (yes, there was more than one). i saw men full of tattoos, who rode in on harleys playing one direction on the juke box (they didn't know i was watching). i saw my friends proceed to drink one drink, one shot, and one beer (isn't that a song?) at bar close, and i was glad that i was sober enough to play mama bear. because when we hopped in the cab and my friend passed out on my chest as the cab driver started yelling bigoted obscenities out the window, i knew i was sober enough to get us all home safely.

xo,
megan bird

ps. bat weekend starts tonight, so wish me luck!

29 comments:

  1. If that bar is the one I'm thinking of, I have GOT to get back there. It truly is one of the nastiest dives ever, and I mean that as a compliment!

    Good luck with bat weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love that summary of your night out! Sounds like fun! And super sweet dress too :)

    Life etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE that necklace! and i agree - watching people is quite enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooohooo, sounds like one heck of a (fun) night! And you looked lovely while being mama bear, in your pretty dress and excellent necklace.

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look awesome! What a pretty dress! Haha, I love dive-bars, for the very same reason! I have been the sober one a lot lately since Kyle can now drink on Saturday nights (he used to work every Sunday morning), so yeah, it's fun to watch all the mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is so pretty! Dive bars aren't really my scene (I'm more of a wine bar kind of girl) but I agree it can be a lot of fun watching the drunks make fools of themselves! The guys on Harleys playing One Direction made me laugh. My hubby rides a Harley and is tattooed up and he's a pretty big softee on the inside :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JEWELIQ Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I love a good dive bar, we've got a few up in our neck of the woods that are a good time too.

    It can be entertaining to be the sober one, most definitely. We had been having drinks at a favorite patio one night with friends and the husband of one of them came late and he said "wow, it's kind of fun coming into things this late in the game, you're already shouting at each other and stuff." I guess we get kind of rowdy.

    I love that dress and kind of want to steal it. I'm not going to lie. But seriously it looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People watching is always the best part, isn't it?! Also good people watching: Walmart at 11 pm on a Wednesday night. Extraordinary really.

    Pretty necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so pretty in this dress! Haha, I love people watching and sometimes drunk people watching can be very entertaining!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. the holes in the wall are totally the best. no pressure. just be and enjoy. LOVE that dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a big drinker, so I'm always the sober one. It can be fun to people watch :) I love your dress. It's colorful and flirty. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I haven't been to a dive bar in years but I do remember how fun they can be. The people watching is usually phenomenal. :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha-ha oh man I love dive bars as well. My boyfriend and I found the greatest dive bar in my own.

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE that necklace :) So pretty and that dress is so cute!

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wait, several sequined baseball caps? Amazing...Love your dress! You know where to send it if you ever get tired of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an ADORABLE dress. And I kinda love being the sober one around drunks. It's so much fun to watch people act like idiots :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes! sometimes watching my friends (well more my husbands friends) drink is hilarious. i can appreciate a bar not drinking - i go out sometimes but on weekdays i dont wanna drink, so i get iced tea and chill out. and i LOVE that dress - and especially that necklace, its beautiful
    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with Bat Weekend (I love that is has a title). Also, you look gorgeous; great dress and absolutely lovely styling.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are the cute & best dressed one. i so want to see photos of the duct tape cover, & the people in those outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dress! You look wonderful! And I agree, sometimes it's fun to be the sober one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that necklace; gorgeous! And the printed dress is so cute. :)

    -Mary @ stylethatmoves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty print on your dress! Agreed- there is something so satisfying sometimes looking around at all the drunkys and knowing you're going to go home, take off your makeup like a good girl, and wake up feeling fresh and decidedly healthier than some. Although its fun to be one of the drunkies sometimes too. ;)

    P.S. Hi, I'm Lily! I blog from Hudson, WI just across the river from St. Paul. Cheers to Twin Cities fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ok, I wrote that comment as if I were drunk so I deleted it. Anyway, your hair looks extra fab. lately. Are you doing something different? Debbi from "She Accessorizes Well" has a great post about a home remedy she got from a site about hair and beauty advice. Her posts lead you to the site. You look fit, fab and sexy. It's ok to be the sober one, I tried it once. I became annoyed with everyone having a better time than me. Love the dress on you and the tree of life necklace. Have a great weekend! dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. that necklace is great and i love the masculine leather belt with the floral dress
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this post hun! what do you think of following each other on GFC and bloglovin'? Let me know
    Keep in touch

    http://thefrench-fries.blogspot.pt/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great dress! I love it.
    xo, Julie
    www.fromproseccotoplaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look awesome! We need to hang out soon! Nora, I'm crossing my fingers and toes that the little boy makes an appearance today!

    ReplyDelete